Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default online comix

I have been reading my comics online since we dropped our subscription to the newspaper (The Boregonian) 2 or so years ago. I like news.yahoo.com and have been reading the comics there, but they recently changed and no longer update many of them. So now I have started using goComics.com, which seems okay, but I thought that I would see what other sites people are using.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: online comix

Is this a free service Mark or is that just a stupid question?
Old 05-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Is this a free service Mark or is that just a stupid question?
free.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Point of order, Mark. At the risk of going all Dr. Sheldon Cooper on you, allow me to point out that you seem to be referring to comic strips, which differs from comics in that the former means those short serialized strips appearing daily near the back of many newspapers (and in color on Sunday in a separate distinct section), whereas comics mean the "books" published on a periodic schedule by the likes of DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, and many other houses. Though it is true that these had their genesis in the casual collection of daily strips into pamphlet form, that has long since stopped being the case, starting famously with the publication of Action Comics #1 in 1938.

Pedantic rant and hijack off.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Point of order, Mark. At the risk of going all Dr. Sheldon Cooper on you, allow me to point out that you seem to be referring to comic strips, which differs from comics in that the former means those short serialized strips appearing daily near the back of many newspapers (and in color on Sunday in a separate distinct section), whereas comics mean the "books" published on a periodic schedule by the likes of DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse, and many other houses. Though it is true that these had their genesis in the casual collection of daily strips into pamphlet form, that has long since stopped being the case, starting famously with the publication of Action Comics #1 in 1938.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comics

Now show me a reference for your exclusive definition.

Be pedantic, just be sure to be right first.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

http://www.answers.com/Q/Difference_...and_comic_book

http://timebush.com/2014/06/06/diffe...raphic-novels/

http://work.chron.com/differences-be...ist-26287.html

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001
Old 05-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

All of which talk to the differences between comic strips and comic books. I read the first two and found no place where it was stated that the term "comics" can only refer to graphic novels or at least cannot refer to comic strips.

2-0, bottom on the ninth, no men on, two outs. Can the kid make a comeback?

As an addendum, I am asking Dark Horse comics, a local business, their opinion. If they come down on your side, I will donate another $100 to the troop support auction. Will you do likewise if they do not support your position? I would also like your permission to use non-identifying information from your first post in this thread so that I am not misrepresenting your statements.

Last edited by markem; 05-29-2015 at 11:25 AM.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #8
joatmon
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Lucas
Partagas
joatmon will become famous soon enough

Old 05-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by joatmon View Post
l l
Old 05-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Lol.......so back to the OR post.....
Old 05-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Mark, were I not struggling to pay rent etc., not to mention get out from under massive medical bills, with only my small Social Security and smaller dwindling savings, I would gladly donate with no conditions whatsoever. And I didn't mean to start a piss-fight with you over this. But there exists an entire multi-million dollar industry based upon the purchase and reading of "online comix', which means the books to which I refer and not the daily strips you don't want to pay a penny to peruse. Entire companies, such as Comixology, are founded upon this digital service, and many of the major publishers (including Dark Horse) run their own digital purchase sites for "online comix". Thus my point, my ONLY point, was that your title may have been a bit misleading, as you did not refer to this nascent and profitable new industry, but rather to an entirely different, and in comparison, limited and marginal service.

In short, my aim was one of clarification only, and not one of any other motivation. I leave it to you to decide what your motivation was in taking it to a different level, as my intent was not to offend. If I did so, I am sorry.

Now I am out of here, and won't return. It really isn't worth fighting over.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #12
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks View Post
AND on that day the martyrs heart grew three times it's size.
Unless I'm grossly misinterpreting your statement, don't you think that's just a bit harsh? Let's keep this from getting personal, huh?
Old 05-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #13
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

I understand, Thomas, but let me elaborate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post

1. You specifically called me out on the term "comics"
2. I replied that the term "comics" was not as you claimed in a posting where you deliberately stated that you were being "pedantic".
3. You further replied with links failing to support your position.
4. You finally stated that you really had a problem with the term "comix" when you did not use that in your "pedantic" post.
5. You then stated that you were done with this thread without so much as apologizing for what I believe was a rather strident position.

Now, a little about me. My principle business is as a testifying expert in federal court. In my professional world, two things bear on your post:

1. If I misuse a term, I dang well better own up to it and apologize. I have done so in video deposition in a suit worth well over $300M. We won that case on summary judgement (an almost unheard of result).
2. If I am incorrectly accused of misusing a term, I had darn well better be able to support my position.

In this thread, I do not believe that I have done #1 and I believe that I have done #2. Your response was to change your argument. That is your right.

If you had objected to the term "comix", I would have apologized, not because I know that it is wrong but because I strongly suspect that I misused it as a personal joke (a no-no on forums, but I could not help myself). However, that was not what you wrote and, I believe, not what you intended as you specifically claimed to being "pedantic".

So, to any whom I misled, I apologize for the term "comix" and would ask the mods to change the thread title to "online comic strips" if so asked (they'll do it, I've seen them do it). As that is the only use of this term, I think that may satisfy your (belated) concerns.

I will still give $100 if Dark Horse Comics tells me that I am in the wrong and do not expect you to make any donation if that is not the case. It is not my intention to place you in a financially untenable position just because.

However, I would suggest using an online dictionary to learn about the term "pedantic" and what that implies in public discourse.

Yours in pedantic bliss.

--mark
(who, I should note, is the worlds worst speller; but I have lawyers to fix that for me).
Old 06-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #14
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I read the Sunday 'comics' for many decades, but not for a few years. Last few weeks, I tried reading some before handing the section over to my wife, who does the Sodoku. I remember why I stopped reading them and haven't found any that I felt were worth my time. It was a bit sad...I've contemplated whether the comics are worse...or my taste is 'different'....I'm unsure.

I will say that it was cool to see Mark Trail and Prince Valiant...even if they both sorta sucked, it was nostalgic for a minute. I will say that I don't like that they're still doing Peanuts reruns. Just never sat well with me for some reason.