Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #501
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Official SEC Football Thread 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
Stephen, it seems your argument preculdes itself. Because without the support of "dyed-in-the-wool fanbases", alumni, and monetary boosters, no such a top flight coach would employed (or employed for long) by a school and therefore the top flight talent you speak of would not follow as you detailed. I'm sorry my friend, but this sport starts with the support of the fans, and it is from those basic building blocks that championship teams are born. Ticket sales, donations and booster money are what draw coaches, top flight players, and championships.
You speak as though these are unique to the South. Texas, Notre Dame and Ohio St. all have way more money at their disposal than any SEC school and I'd wager that none have as big a following as Notre Dame. Yet until last year Notre Dame had not so much as a bowl victory in over 15 years. I doubt it's because the fans didn't care.
Quote:
All pieces of the puzzle are important and it takes "the perfect storm", if you will, of all of them at once: broad fanbase, talented coaches, and talented players to cultivate a championship. But no piece is more integral to that equation as the culture of football within a given fanbase. Again, I think that you would be fooling yourself to think that the culture of football is predicated by the arrival of ANY coach ANYwhere. The flames of support may be fanned so to speak, but regardless, the fire comes from the so-called "rabid fandom". It is predicated on the fans supporting football. The arrival of a great coach or a top flight player or a championship is the direct result of the football culture of the region/area of interest. A coach may inspire a fanbase with great wins, and great players may endear themselves with memorable plays and performances, but they are all lost without the fans.
Nowhere did I mitigate fan support. But you could hope, wish, root and pray your little heart out for your team to do well, but if they don't have the coaching and players, it's a moot point. Is it a symbiotic relationship? Sure. Universities need money from fans to hire decent coaches, have nice stadiums and equipment to help recruit top players, etc. But at the end of the day, it's arrogance to think that the SEC is on it's current run because they have better fans. So, to use your logic, the previous three decades (70's, 80's and 90's) the Big 10, Pac-10, BigXIII/BigXII just had better fans than the SEC, that's why they won the vast majority of the National Titles during that span?
Quote:
In each of the schools you mentioned above, it was not some invisible force that propelled those schools to hire great coaches. It was the desire in the fanbase (born through their football culture) to see the once great teams return to greatness.
And yet, they're not propelled to greatness without those coaches (and the talent that follows coaches), as fervent as the fanbase may be. It's an insult to fanbases around the country to somehow think that one of the main reasons the SEC has won the last five (soon to be six) BCS Championships is because you're better fans. It flies in the face of obvious recruiting advantages the South has and gives credence where it's not due.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #502
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Wow, reading over this post again later, IT IS SO REDUNDANT.

Sorry about that.
You just wanted to make sure I understood.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #503
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So, to use your logic, the previous three decades (70's, 80's and 90's) the Big 10, Pac-10, BigXIII/BigXII just had better fans than the SEC, that's why they won the vast majority of the National Titles during that span?
Meant Big VIII/Big XII, but I'm sure you guys knew that.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #504
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

And the hits just keep comin': Charlie Weis takes the head coaching job of Kansas.

I never like that cheeseburger eatin' b@stard anyhow
Old 12-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #505
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
And the hits just keep comin': Charlie Weis takes the head coaching job of Kansas.

I never like that cheeseburger eatin' b@stard anyhow
Good Riddance, Huh, Michael?
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #506
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I was reasonably shocked to hear that, mostly the good kind of shock because I looked at the
way he coached the Fla team this year and I was thinking, man, he either IGNORES the QB standing
next to him, NEVER talks to him, or he sits on the bench the whole game and doesn't watch and ignores
the QBs. I am thinking, 'they must be paying him in cheeseburgers' because he sure doesn't seem very
involved or doesn't have any desire to participate. I felt so sorry for the UF fans. COULDN'T be happier.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #507
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Erhuh..LSU's THE BEST, cough ehem, er....Merry Christmas and a sad new year to all my Bama friends.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #508
OLS
Suck It

Not too late to switch! Join members of the national sports media who are coming over to our side in droves.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #509
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough

Roll Tide!
Old 12-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #510
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir13 View Post
Roll Tide!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #511
Powers

Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Breaking News: A winning season means male students are more likely to party and have their grades suffer! I'm shocked

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...9959?p=1&tc=pg

I'd like to see this study done at a real football powerhouse in the SEC
Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #512
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir13 View Post
Roll Tide!
Oh my god, say it isn't so....YOU have gone over to the darkest dark side?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #513
Powers

Bolivar

2012 SEC schedules just released:

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEW...-schedule.aspx
Old 12-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #514
OLS
Suck It

Before looking I think I remember that LSU, whom I touted as playing anyone nationwide with a sack,
has a pretty weak non-conference schedule in 2012. Spoke to soon, OR hello two straight national
championships, lol. Why is everybody playing Texas A&M??? Did I miss something???

ROFL
Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #515
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Before looking I think I remember that LSU, whom I touted as playing anyone nationwide with a sack,
has a pretty weak non-conference schedule in 2012. Spoke to soon, OR hello two straight national
championships, lol. Why is everybody playing Texas A&M??? Did I miss something???

ROFL
Did you miss the addition of Texas A&M and Missouri into the SEC?
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #516
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Cannot wait to watch A&M get destroyed next year. Trial by fire....
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #517
Powers

Bolivar

Georgia looks to have quite the cupcake schedule next year
Old 12-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #518
ir13
PSHC - T1nyH@

Trading: (44)
HUpmann
ir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the roughir13 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
Georgia looks to have quite the cupcake schedule next year
They will still lose to Carolina I believe.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #519
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

Quote:
Did you miss the addition of Texas A&M and Missouri into the SEC?
Mike the Tiger still has a smile on his face, so Brad hasn't come up for air yet.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #520
Powers

Bolivar

It appears Stanford caught the 'Bama syndrome and couldn't make a FG. On second thought, Oklahoma State displayed superior depth and balance