Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #881
CigarDojo

Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

Here is a pic from when me and my two sons coached my daughter Mackenzie's team. We had a blast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg state-champs-small.jpg (38.2 KB, 357 views)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #882
CigarDojo

Here's when my boys were playing. We wound up playing some really good team from Russia in a tournament. They beat us 5 to 4 but we were the only team in the tournament that did halfway decent against them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jord_dylan_vs_russia_jan_2005.jpg (79.5 KB, 342 views)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #883
CigarDojo

Here is my other son Dominic. My two boys almost always made the same team because they are only a year and a half apart.

They are both older now and only play adult hockey. It was a lot of fun while it lasted but I admit I'm kinda glad it's over. It was a lot of work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Majors 098.jpg (27.4 KB, 332 views)
Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #884
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Good stuff, Eric! Especially love that you and your sons, coached your daughters team... What a great experience that must have been....added bonus, State Champions!!!!

Mike, do they actually go gloves with the unis as well? Thought maybe because it was all Mission, maybe they got and deal and that made it a sweet deal?
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #885
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

The High School went 2-0 tonight....though looked sloppy. The LM found the back of the net again....

Bring the boom!

Slapshot from the point. Probably his worst of the game, but the goalie was blocked and it lights the lamp. I think he was so surprised, he really didn't move or celebrate much.....

Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #886
CigarDojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Good stuff, Eric! Especially love that you and your sons, coached your daughters team... What a great experience that must have been....added bonus, State Champions!!!!
Yeah it was a hoot! We were lucky enough to win state 2 out of the 3 years we coached the team.

Tons of fun, and tons of bonding time with the kids.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #887
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Quote:
, Mike, do they actually go gloves with the unis as well? Thought maybe because it was all Mission, maybe they got and deal and that made it a sweet deal?
gloves are optional. May go white. Its roller after all and we all know roller players don't use mirrors. They got a great deal on uni and pants. Also we have a deal on optional equipment. Bauer reakt hemet 140ish with cage. Lot of deals like that.

great pics guys. Someone gave me a couple photos from LA tourney one is a goal he got. He's not on that team anymore. He disliked(PC) the coach and asked to quit. They released him. Signed with a worse team, but coach is super nice kids are all nice and he will likely be 1st line. At his age he just couldn't stand the screaming.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #888
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

First scrimmage with the Jr. Grizzlies today....good thing, as they are off to Vegas next week. Not sure why the LM is not wearing the socks??? Half the kids weren't, maybe they don't have them yet....which is possible, they got their jerseys today.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #889
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trainwreck of a weekend in Vegas.... The boys played well(okay?) in a loss game 1 (their first real game this season) and then were CRUSHING 4-1 in game 2....and the wheels fell off. Lost game 2 in the last 10 seconds, 7-6.... Lost game 3 in the final minute, 2-1 and then looked worthless in their final game....losing by a score I cannot remember.

We went down thinking they'd compete for a title and walked away humble and wondering who they are..... I have no doubt they will right the ship....

The LM's only point of the tourney, an assist on their last goal of their tourney...

Old 10-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #890
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

I took down some cigars to smoke while I was there....(bought the J21 at Pheasant) Was going to smoke the Boris after they won the whole thing..... Well...then after their first win in Vegas..... It's back in a humi, safe and sound....

Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #891
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Nice sticks.
Kind of tough to go down to a CanAm event with a team that has not played together.

Little man's new team suuuucks. But he's first line and while playing center and taking faceoffs is pretty much playing D because as he puts it " someone has to play D". Been nice seeing him backcheck like a maniac and hustle his as$ off. He wants to play inhouse and we are going to let him so he can have some screw around time.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #892
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Little man's new team suuuucks. But he's first line and while playing center and taking faceoffs is pretty much playing D because as he puts it " someone has to play D". Been nice seeing him backcheck like a maniac and hustle his as$ off. He wants to play inhouse and we are going to let him so he can have some screw around time.
I'm feeling your pain. My kid's team is pretty bad this year as well. They were short benched from the beginning and the team's captain got injured in St Louis a couple weeks ago so the coach made the decision to pull out of the Warrior tournament in Detroit this weekend.

It's bad enough that the team isn't very good but now they're being denied games. The organizers of a tournament in Pittsburgh for next month has pulled them off the schedule. There was no reason given but it seemed obvious that they wanted better teams.

Sucks.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #893
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
I'm feeling your pain. My kid's team is pretty bad this year as well. They were short benched from the beginning and the team's captain got injured in St Louis a couple weeks ago so the coach made the decision to pull out of the Warrior tournament in Detroit this weekend.

It's bad enough that the team isn't very good but now they're being denied games. The organizers of a tournament in Pittsburgh for next month has pulled them off the schedule. There was no reason given but it seemed obvious that they wanted better teams.

Sucks.
That does suck. Obviously since mines a first year mite its not a big deal to me. I actually told his coach they shouldn't go down to socal this year. They normally go down 2x a season. Having been down there with the other team which was considerably better it would be suicide. The coach is a great kid and knows what's up. They would get their heads kicked in. So glad I left other team. Getting reports of tons of drama. Nice and.happy where we are now. Atleast one other kid wants to defect.

Last edited by Ahbroody; 10-20-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #894
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

We are hoping the coach can turn things around for next year, we love the core group of boys and their families, but there is no way I can allow my kid to go U16 with the team as it is. Most of the other boys are already freshmen and can play high school if they want, but we don't have that option where we live.

There is zero high school hockey here. There are a couple other U16 teams (next year my kid could play U15 as well) but they are no closer than we drive now. Columbus is our best option, and then there is Team Ohio, based out of Cleveland, or Indy...both of those last two are over 2 hours drive each way, that aint good.

I found out after the season started that Columbus had approached our coach with the option to merge, since they were short handed as well, but he felt that we had a good lookout for the season, and then that backfired on him. Just hoping they get some concrete answers before tryout time next year. I absolutely hate the idea that we're in a throw-away season, it's such a waste.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #895
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Tough stuff, Scott... Hopefully they can get their wheels rolling a bit and it isn't a throwaway season.

If I was a betting man, would guess our HS team will take their first loss of the season tomorrow. Play the defending State Champions, who I think we match up with very favorably....besides between the pipes, which I think will be the decider....as it is not even close.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #896
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
If I was a betting man, would guess our HS team will take their first loss of the season tomorrow. Play the defending State Champions, who I think we match up with very favorably....besides between the pipes, which I think will be the decider....as it is not even close.
I may have been a little too positive with my thinking we match up with them, besides in net. We were missing 2 of our better players, but they beat us 4-1 and took our best 2 offensive players totally out of the game, which is not an easy task. They are very good and deep.

With a full team, we'll have to play a total game to beat them....

Nothing great out of the camera tonight...

These three players(49, 57 & 22) are on his Jr. Grizzlies team....

Old 11-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #897
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

A little Dad/Daughter time...... She helped me with the "Try Hockey for Free" clinic early, then we had her game right after they laid some frest ice. Good day....

Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #898
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

$750 in broken sticks this year and the kid is still 13 (he does turn 14 this month). It's time to move up to Senior sticks me thinks...

Old 11-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #899
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Ouuuuch!
Been so lucky with his Miken. Not looking forward to that phase you and EJ are in.
Kid had roller at 7am in San Jose, then drove to Oakland for games with travel 10am-330pm. Then his buddy took him back to San Jose for an inhouse game 515-615. I snuck over while at work and watched the game. He played D for first time ever. Ended up +3 as a D man and played really well. He seemed bored as hell at times as a D. His coach kept having to remind him not to pinch. Had two awesome bobby orr rushes up ice skating through everyone only to have the forwards go off sides and fuc& it up. Back at the rink tomorrow at 7am for pracy. Im working so buddys dad is taking him.

Shot of the day was in Oakland. Comes in on a breakaway shoots the puck drills goalie in mask goalie falls back into net and puck goes in.

EJ rocking tilted visor. Lulz
Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #900
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Scott, that pic hurts to look at.....

Your day is coming, Mike....