Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default EP Carrillo Short Run

Size: 5 7/8×52, Delirios

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra

Binder: Nicaragua

Filler: Dominican and Nicaragua

Strength: Medium/Full

Price: Box of 24, $168

Grade: 9.2

The second release from the newly formed EPC Cigar Company, the Short Run was released in early May, 2010. Ernesto created 1,500 boxes of 24 for each of the 3 sizes in the 2010 Short Run production, for a total of 108,000 cigars, with more expected to arrive in 2011. The price range when purchased in box is between $6.25 and $8.50. The available sizes are the Populares (4 7/8×50), Delirios (5 7/8×52), and the Dominantes (6 1/4×60), the latter of which will be released in July (source).

We had an amazing experience with the Edicion Inaugural 2009 (Encore), reviewed here, and were so excited to hear of the new Short Run. The Inaugural was released at last year’s IPCPR event in New Orleans and was sold in boxes of 10 with a flat rate of $130. This new release cuts the price by almost half and still maintains a short production run (the Inaugural was set at a one time release of 150,000).

Ernesto Perez-Carrillo is best known for the La Gloria Cubana brand. Having a desire to involve his son Ernie and daughter Lissette in the industry, he left General Cigar Company after 9 years and began work on a family business, EPC Cigar Company. “Ernesto’s factory is located in the Dominican. In April 2009, he signed a lease on a 40,000 square foot stand-alone building in Santiago’s Zona Franca, and immediately began the construction of his dream factory, which he named Tabacalera La Alianza (source).

Be sure to give Ernesto a follow on Twitter as well; he is always eager to speak with those that have smoked his product and is quick to answer as well. And thanks to Ernesto for sending us three samples for this review; now, on to the toast.

Pre-light, 1.8:
A medium brown wrapper on the E.P. Carrillo Short Run creates a looker with minimal veins – the wrapper is antiqued with spotting in various colors and an overall rugged look. The cap is nicely constructed and the cigar is tightly packed with no soft spots to be found. The double band shows a nice presentation with the second band highlighting “Short Run” in a beautiful gold script. The pre-light aroma is of dry tobacco that is very fresh in the nose. The cold draw produces notes of green tobacco, very clean finish, and a lack of spice.

Burn, 1.8:
The cigar cut and toasted well and produced a nice draw with plenty of smoke. The Delirios burned evenly throughout the life of the cigar and did not require any touch ups or re-lights. The medium gray ash held well past an inch before I tapped it off in the wooden ashtray. Smoke temperature was very pleasing and only warmed up towards the nub.

Flavor, 2.8 :
First puff on this smoke was of very clean tobacco with a hint of spice. Into the first third the cigar showed notes of green tobacco with a hint of sweetness and spice on the finish. The second third followed the same profile but a hint of polish crept up – this was a surprise but was very pleasing on the palate. The finish was medium in length with a light pepper spice in the back of the throat. The final third really stayed the course but the spice picked up a bit and the polish disappeared.

Overall, 2.8:
This cigar was very enjoyable for me, though not as complex as I anticipated – just a solid flavor profile that did not fail at any time in the smoke. At around seven bucks a stick, this is a good medium to medium/full smoke. Due to the limited production it may be hard to find but if you get a chance pick up a few.

(Total: 9.2)
How the Short Run (SR) compared to EP Carrillo’s first offering, the Edicion Inaugural (EI) 2009, reviewed here:
The two wrappers have very different looks, with the EI being silky smooth and seamless, while the SR had a more rugged appearance. The look actually fits well with the two flavor profiles as well, with the EI being more smooth, creamy, and gentle and the SR having a bit more kick in both strength and spice and just a more rugged flavor profile in general. The prices are also a good bit different, with the EI coming in at $13, and the SR at $7 for around the same size. Overall, I preferred the Edicion Inaugural a bit more, though it was created to be a more premium and limited run cigar than the Short Run. Either way, you should definitely give both of these a shot – they are excellent cigars.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EP Carrillo Short Run

Thanks for the review Matthew. Was very curious about these after torching my first EP Carillo EI 2009 this weekend.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Thanks for the review Matthew. Was very curious about these after torching my first EP Carillo EI 2009 this weekend.
I LOVE the Edicion Inaugural but the $13 tag is hesitating for my budget; the Short Run is much, more more affordable...though quite different in all regards, except for the quality (both superb).
Old 05-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
NeverEnoughStick

Thanks for the Review Matthew!

I am very interested in trying these now!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
nomadicwookie
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
nomadicwookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnoughStick View Post
Thanks for the Review Matthew!

I am very interested in trying these now!
nomadicwookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about

nice review
Old 05-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
The second third followed the same profile but a hint of polish crept up
What is this hint of polish? Is it for shoes? Or, is it... well, lets skip the kielbasa jokes!

Thanks for the review!
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:48 AM   #8
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
What is this hint of polish? Is it for shoes? Or, is it... well, lets skip the kielbasa jokes!

Thanks for the review!
Yeah, shoe polish - crazy, huh?! You know, that sweet but burn your nose kinda smell...