Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default AJ Fernandez San Lotano Habano

Size: 5×52, Robusto

Wrapper: Brazilian Habano

Binder: Honduran & Dominican

Filler: Nicaraguan & Honduran

Strength: Full

Price: $6-8

Grade: 9.1

We recently reviewed the Maduro wrapper of this release by A.J. Fernandez and it was an excellent smoke. Our review today is the second of the three wrappers offered in the San Lotano line, and this particular wrapper has received a fair amount of buzz in cigar circles. The only difference between the blends is the choice of wrapper and today’s smoke sports a Brazillian Habano wrapper.

A.J. Fernandez is the third generation tobacco blender in his family. Successfully producing cigars for a number of other makers (Diesel, Man O’ War, Padilla Habano), A.J. has created a cigar for himself that will be distributed by Cigar Express in the U.S. San Lotano originated in Cuba with A.J.’s grandfather, but has not been produced in decades. San Lotano is made in Fernandez’s Esteli, Nicaragua factory, which produces 9 million cigars per year. The San Latano line debuted officially at this year’s IPCPR.

Pre-light, 1.7:
The Habano wrapper on this smoke has just a few veins and has a rugged feel to it between the fingers. The cigar is well packed with a good weight in the palm. The presentation with two bands is very nice, and I like the heaviness of the bands. Along the wrapper I pick up notes of leather and spice at the foot. The cold draw is a good indication of things to come, as my mouth is filled with red pepper spice and heavy wood notes.

Burn, 1.8:
As expected, the Robusto has a great draw and an ash that is consistent in color and holds well. The smoke temperature is spot on and is very pleasing on the palate. No touch ups or re-lights are required and as far as burn goes, this one is picture perfect.

Flavor, 2.8:
The first puff on the offering by A.J. Fernandez produces a ton of spice that covers the palate. Moving in to the first third, this stays the same but I do pick up other notes that are meaty in texture along with a toasted wood type profile. The finish is heavy and long on the palate, but is somewhat dry at times, which is surprising. The San Lotano hits it stride in the second third with the balance of spice, tobacco, and other notes really covering the palate on each draw. The red pepper spice is still the dominant flavor but the entire profile is well balanced and robust. The last third stays the course but, as expected, the spice increases towards the very end.

Overall, 2.8:
Compared to the Maduro, this smoke was fuller and did not have the sweet notes I found present on the finish of the first blend reviewed. I enjoyed this one more, as I found it more complex and I am a fan of spice, especially robust spice that lingers on the palate. This cigar is full bodied and is not for the beginner, but is a great smoke for those seeking a complex offering from a great blender. I look forward to reviewing the final wrapper from A.J. – after the first two my anticipation is high. Great smoke for the money.

(Total: 9.1)
Old 02-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: AJ Fernandez San Lotano Habano

Bumping an old thread.
Has anyone seen these at their B&M?
I have been looking all over for them and have yet to find them
Old 02-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Found this info, if anyone cares

San Lotano will be in most stores nationwide by the end of the month. San Lotano will not be sold on-line, but is available through the CI Store. Please let me know if there is any information you would like to know with regard to our brand. Best. Clay Roberts - VP Marketing & Brand Creative @ AJ Fernandez Cigars.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

I want some Maduros bad. Sucks that they aren't available online.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Like Travis, I too have been searching the internet and have figured they are not offered at online retailers. So its just a matter of locating them in the local B&M'. Will have to place a few telephone calls tomorrow to ascertain which local B&M' carry these sticks...
Old 02-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great review Matthew!!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
ajacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Like Travis, I too have been searching the internet and have figured they are not offered at online retailers. So its just a matter of locating them in the local B&M'. Will have to place a few telephone calls tomorrow to ascertain which local B&M' carry these sticks...
You can get them from cigar.com - over the phone.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

VR

Any idea what the price point is on these?
Old 02-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacobs View Post
You can get them from cigar.com - over the phone.
Thank you Aaron...

Old 02-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Thanks for the review Matt.
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Purchased one of these today at the Smoke Zone in Stevenson Ranch, CA. Price: $6.99 for the robusto. They have the full line at this B&M.

Of interest, they also have a second store located in Thousand Oaks, CA, where on Saturday 05/14, they actually had AJ Fernandez visit for an in-store promotion

Will be burning this baby tomorrow morning...

Old 05-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

...and smoked it today. Nice tasting robusto

Old 02-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I am in love with the lancero in this blend, amazing cigar! In my top 10 for all cigars and my top three for Lanceros!
I haven't tried the robusto, I may never because I love the Lancero that much, and only about $7/each at B&Ms.