Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 12-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
chicken
Life is good

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
chicken is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for a Paella recipe

I am looking for a good paella recipe (chicken, shrimp and sausage).
Old 12-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking for a Paella recipe

Here's one I adapted from a Spanish cookbook I recently got. You can change any ingredients to your liking. The key with the shrimp is to saute them separately and add to the finished paella. Cooking in the oven or on the stove top for the entire cooking time would overcook them to the point of being like rubber.

There's many ways to make paella, using chicken, rabbit, pork, spanish chorizo, shrimp, mussels, green beans, artichokes, peas, etc. You get the jist. Just use whatever you like. Remember, the rice is the real star.

1lb shrimp, peeled and deviened
1/2lb pork, cut into 1" cubes
8 large garlic cloves, crushed in a garlic press (finely minced will work too)
2 large ripe tomatoes, cut in half and grated on a box grater. discard the skins
1 can of artichoke hearts, drained and patted dry with paper towels. If using whole hearts, cut into quarters
4 cups chicken broth (5 if using bomba rice)
1.5 tsp smoked paprika (regular paprika will work too)
pinch of saffron, pulverized into a powder
pinch of cayenne
1.5 cups short grain rice (Spanish Bomba rice is best, Italian Arborio rice will work too. Don't use long grain rice or sushi rice)
salt and pepper
olive oil

Get everything prepped before starting. Bring stock to simmer in separate saucepan, and add saffron. Keep at simmer until ready to use. Preheat oven to 425F.

Season pork with salt/pepper, about 1/4 of the garlic and a bit of the paprika. Let stand for 10-15 minutes.

Heat 13-in paella pan over medium heat. Add about 3 TBSP oil and heat until it just starts to smoke. Add the pork and brown, turning serveral times. Add the artichokes (or other veggies) and stir until they start to brown, 3-4 minutes. Push everything to edges of pan where it's not as hot. Add 1 TBSP oil, then add the remaining garlic. Saute for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add tomatoes to center of pan, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring tomatoes serveral times until thickened and reduced, about 5-7 minutes. Combine all ingredients in pan, adding the remaining paprika and the cayenne and stir for a few seconds.

Add the rice to the pan and stir generously to coat with the pan mixture. Pour in 3 cups of the simmering stock (4 if using bomba rice). Keep remaining stock simmering. Shake pan to distribute rice evenly. Put pan over medium heat and cook until liquid is almost level with the rice, but the rice is still soupy, about 7-8 mins. Periodically move and rotate the pan so the liquid boils evenly. If the liquid is absorbed too fast and the rice seems too raw, sprinkle on more stock. Check the seasoning of the liquid, adding more salt/pepper as necessary.

Transfer pan to oven and bake until the rice is tender but still a little al dente, about 15 mins. Heat a separate pan over medium heat to cook the shrimp in. Season shrimp with salt/pepper, add a bit of oil to the pan and saute about 2-3 mins a side. Remove from pan and set aside. Check the paella a few times, adding more stock if the rice seems too raw. Remove pan from the oven and cover with foil and let stand 5 minutes. Uncover and let stand another 10 minutes. Garnish with the sauted shrimp and serve. Roasted red pepper strips also make a nice garnish and are very traditional.

When checking the rice for doneness, taste the rice towards the middle/bottom of pan. This will give you true test of it's doneness.

I make a garlic ailoli to stir into the finished dish.

1 egg yolk
juice of half a lemon
pinch of salt
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 cup olive oil

Add first four ingredients to blender jar. Start up blender on slow speed, slowly (can't stress this point) add olive oil. If you add the oil too quick, it won't emulsify and your ailoli will be runny. Once you can see things are coming together and getting thick, you can add the oil a bit quicker. Transfer to small dish. Spoon onto finished paella and stir to incorporate.

If you don't have a paella pan, any large saute or fry pan will work. Paella pans work best as they're thinner and react to temp changes quicker. They're also designed to keep the rice about 1/2 in thick for best cooking.

As for the rice, the normal 2-1 ratio of liquid to rice is normal starting point, except if using Spanish Bomba rice. It will absord a lot more liquid. Because you're cooking without a lid on the dish, you'll need more liquids due to evaporation.

Enjoy.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Ahhh, what he said. I never would have come up with all those extry vegetables like tomatoes
and artichokes. I was just giving you jambalaya which is technically the same thing, lol. But I like
his recipe better if you want it to be kind of authentic. To me, the simpler Jambalaya has less ingredients
to track down. If you like brown Jambalaya make it like above, if you like red, give it half a can of
tomato paste too.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I deleted my Jambalaya "recipe" because it is clear after reading through the Paella recipe that
it was irresponsible to say it is easy. Rice skill is no easy thing to acquire, and I take for granted
a lot of times how much experience you need to talk about it like I do. As if it were so easy. I also
noticed in the recipe that it indicates what I have always done, but many, like my own mother do not.
I use the boiling of the ingredients to par-cook the rice and steam out most of the water, all the while
stirring madly. My mom lets it boil, cuts the heat and covers for 40 mins. Same effect in the end,
but the stir method incorporates the flavor better and makes the meal get done faster, and to me, better.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

I had some phenominal Paella while in Spain...it may just be my favorite dish. The key is good olive oil and saffron....they way I had it was a giant frying pan (I guess a paella pan) over an open fire..ingredients were huge shrimp, sausage, chicken, rice, lite onion...and other goo which I cannot remember..it was awesome.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
chicken
Life is good

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
chicken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Here's one I adapted from a Spanish cookbook I recently got. You can change any ingredients to your liking. The key with the shrimp is to saute them separately and add to the finished paella. Cooking in the oven or on the stove top for the entire cooking time would overcook them to the point of being like rubber.

There's many ways to make paella, using chicken, rabbit, pork, spanish chorizo, shrimp, mussels, green beans, artichokes, peas, etc. You get the jist. Just use whatever you like. Remember, the rice is the real star.

1lb shrimp, peeled and deviened
1/2lb pork, cut into 1" cubes
8 large garlic cloves, crushed in a garlic press (finely minced will work too)
2 large ripe tomatoes, cut in half and grated on a box grater. discard the skins
1 can of artichoke hearts, drained and patted dry with paper towels. If using whole hearts, cut into quarters
4 cups chicken broth (5 if using bomba rice)
1.5 tsp smoked paprika (regular paprika will work too)
pinch of saffron, pulverized into a powder
pinch of cayenne
1.5 cups short grain rice (Spanish Bomba rice is best, Italian Arborio rice will work too. Don't use long grain rice or sushi rice)
salt and pepper
olive oil

Get everything prepped before starting. Bring stock to simmer in separate saucepan, and add saffron. Keep at simmer until ready to use. Preheat oven to 425F.

Season pork with salt/pepper, about 1/4 of the garlic and a bit of the paprika. Let stand for 10-15 minutes.

Heat 13-in paella pan over medium heat. Add about 3 TBSP oil and heat until it just starts to smoke. Add the pork and brown, turning serveral times. Add the artichokes (or other veggies) and stir until they start to brown, 3-4 minutes. Push everything to edges of pan where it's not as hot. Add 1 TBSP oil, then add the remaining garlic. Saute for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add tomatoes to center of pan, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring tomatoes serveral times until thickened and reduced, about 5-7 minutes. Combine all ingredients in pan, adding the remaining paprika and the cayenne and stir for a few seconds.

Add the rice to the pan and stir generously to coat with the pan mixture. Pour in 3 cups of the simmering stock (4 if using bomba rice). Keep remaining stock simmering. Shake pan to distribute rice evenly. Put pan over medium heat and cook until liquid is almost level with the rice, but the rice is still soupy, about 7-8 mins. Periodically move and rotate the pan so the liquid boils evenly. If the liquid is absorbed too fast and the rice seems too raw, sprinkle on more stock. Check the seasoning of the liquid, adding more salt/pepper as necessary.

Transfer pan to oven and bake until the rice is tender but still a little al dente, about 15 mins. Heat a separate pan over medium heat to cook the shrimp in. Season shrimp with salt/pepper, add a bit of oil to the pan and saute about 2-3 mins a side. Remove from pan and set aside. Check the paella a few times, adding more stock if the rice seems too raw. Remove pan from the oven and cover with foil and let stand 5 minutes. Uncover and let stand another 10 minutes. Garnish with the sauted shrimp and serve. Roasted red pepper strips also make a nice garnish and are very traditional.

When checking the rice for doneness, taste the rice towards the middle/bottom of pan. This will give you true test of it's doneness.

I make a garlic ailoli to stir into the finished dish.

1 egg yolk
juice of half a lemon
pinch of salt
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 cup olive oil

Add first four ingredients to blender jar. Start up blender on slow speed, slowly (can't stress this point) add olive oil. If you add the oil too quick, it won't emulsify and your ailoli will be runny. Once you can see things are coming together and getting thick, you can add the oil a bit quicker. Transfer to small dish. Spoon onto finished paella and stir to incorporate.

If you don't have a paella pan, any large saute or fry pan will work. Paella pans work best as they're thinner and react to temp changes quicker. They're also designed to keep the rice about 1/2 in thick for best cooking.

As for the rice, the normal 2-1 ratio of liquid to rice is normal starting point, except if using Spanish Bomba rice. It will absord a lot more liquid. Because you're cooking without a lid on the dish, you'll need more liquids due to evaporation.

Enjoy.
Gonna make it tonight. Wish me luck. Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

From my favorite Spanish Restaurant, The Columbia in Tampa.

Paella
» view more featured recipes
Ingredients

4 Oz. Pork loins, cut in chunks
6 Oz. Chicken breast
6 Oz. Peeled and deveined shrimp
4 Oz. Scallops
4 Oz. Calamari rings
4 Oz. Grouper fillet, cut in chunks.
6 Clams Little Necks
6 Fresh mussels
1 Onion, julienne cut
1 Green pepper, cut in strips
4 Garlic clove minced
4 Oz. Olive oil extra virgin
1 Vine ripe tomato, peeled, seedless and chopped
8 Oz. White wine
1 Bay leaf
1 Pinch Saffron
1 Teaspoon Salt
½ Teaspoon Ground black pepper
20 Oz. Chicken stock
6 Oz. Green peas cooked
6 Strips Pimentos
6 White Asparagus Spears
1 Lemon
10 Oz. Uncooked Valencia rice

Preparation

In a Paella pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the pork and chicken.

Then, add garlic, bay leaf, onions, and green peppers. Sauté until onions are transparent.

Add white wine, tomatoes, saffron, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.

Then, add rice and chicken stock and bring to a boil.

Then add seafood and cover the paella and bake in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Garnish with peas, pimentos, asparagus, and lemons.

Serves 4-6 people.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #8
d'am
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
Bolivar
d'am is on a distinguished road

Rice can be tricky, and the paella crust is pretty easy to mess up. If you have any doubt in your skills, Alton Brown has some great technical tips: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html Unfortunately, he cooks it outdoors, but the advice on water levels should translate to any method.
d'am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

The method I use, cooking in the oven, doesn't tend to develop that crust. Last time I made it, I took out of the oven early and finished over the stop top. It did develop some crust, but not as much as I'd like. Next time I'm going to try making it entirely on the stove top.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

You may've seen my Paella pictures in the BBQ thread as one of my Paella's fit perfect on WSM. Having the right pan, rice, paprika, chorizo, and saffron is key.

Blend the soffrito in a food processor is one key I can mention. We make Paella 1-2 times a week and I have several pans depending on the amount of people eating. I like to use the false rib off of spare ribs, and captain's cut cod loins. Not to mention just breaking up yardbirds as the broth is required from the bird too.

There's a lot to making it, and I consider myself a bit of a pro when doing it, but there's too much to just type and tell you how to do it.

Blending the soffrito and additional ingredients is all personal preference. You might want snails, someone else might want capers in it...

Feel free to PM me if you wish.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
The key with the shrimp is to saute them separately and add to the finished paella.
I put frozen shrimp on (no smaller than 20 count) as the last piece before "setting" the paella. They'll be perfect when the paella is done and can be arranged in a nice pattern.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I was just giving you jambalaya which is technically the same thing, lol. But I like his recipe better if you want it to be kind of authentic.
Paella is not stirred once set which is a big difference as is the rice used.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I put frozen shrimp on (no smaller than 20 count) as the last piece before "setting" the paella. They'll be perfect when the paella is done and can be arranged in a nice pattern.
I've done that same thing as well. Works like a champ.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

yum...sausage.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

I love me some Paella! This thread has gotten me hungry...may have to make a pan soon!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #16
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
i love me some paella! This thread has gotten me hungry...may have to make a pan soon!

ummmm!
Old 01-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
mpd340

Im gonna have to try this!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

That's an amazing Paella he has there.

I wonder what was cooked in pan and what was added?

I think could've cooked it all in pan except for the sliced hard boiled eggs. He could've done the eggs in the Paella, took them out, cooled them, and added them at the end. The fish heads should be able to stay upright if they were cut flat.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

We shared this Paella at Bahama Breeze last week, and it was delicious.
Linky.
I have no idea how authentic it is, or how it would measure up to traditional dishes, but next time I go back, that's what I'll be jamming in my face.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #20
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

I caught thison Avec Eric this weekend, although I could have sworn his paella also had calimari. Is paella just not paella without saffron? I'd like to give it a try, but I'd also rather not drop $20 at the local spice shop for a tiny tin of saffron.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote