Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #21
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice
Default Re: Will You Guys Help Me Shop My New Gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceolee View Post
I've never purchased a handgun before and I'm thinking this is the year but i'm more old fashioned and am thinking 1911
When you are ready, let me know. I have 8, and LOVE helping people find one of their own.

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #22
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockspur View Post
When you are ready, let me know. I have 8, and LOVE helping people find one of their own.
I love the 1911 but on me, will consume half my size and weight.

Last edited by Blueface; 01-15-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #23
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Sounds like you have the weapon covered so I won't offer an opinion on that. Not sure if you're looking for a pocket holster or a belt holster.

Personally, for pocket holsters I don't think you can beat a Mika. They're reasonable in cost and custom made by a guy who knows what he's doing. It's what I use. Do a search on Robert Mika if you're interested. Back when I ordered mine, Robert personally called me to make sure I'd be happy with what he was going to make for me.

If you're looking for a clip on or belt holster, there are plenty of options. Talk to five different people and you'll get five different opinions. I've tried several over the years. When I choose not to pocket carry, I prefer a leather Bianchi clip on. Kind of old school, but so am I.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #24
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockspur View Post
When the time comes you've got a deal just as long as you throw in a matching bra for Scotts garter holster. We wouldn't want Scott to not look fashionable. If you ever watched Deadwood (greatest tv series ever made) I'd say Scott would be more of a Bella Union kind of gal and not a Gem theater type. Hs's not a trixie at all. Classy lady type

Seriously, When the time comes I'll make sure to PM you.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:02 AM   #25
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Scott, tons of good recommendations for holsters, etc. While it sounds like you have enough, I just want to put in a recommendation for one more: PJ Holsters. He was recommended to me on a gun site I belong to and I ordered a pocket holster for my Kahr CM9. It is kydex but fits like a glove in my front pocket and stays in the pocket as designed when I pull the gun out. Just another consideration. My friend is a retired cop and has the gun you are leaning towards and loves it. I just struggled with the long trigger pull. Good luck and have fun. Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #26
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

To complicate matters, I started looking at the Kimber Solo CDP 9mm last night.
Man, is it a pretty gun. Crimson trace grips.
Being I can buy two LCP's for the price of the solo, I'll probably talk myself out of it right quick. But If I can find used around $875, I'd do it.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:21 AM   #27
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Being I can buy two LCP's for the price of the solo, I'll probably talk myself out of it right quick. But If I can find used around $875, I'd do it.

Texasguntrader.com has a Kimber solo listed with two clips used for sale by an individual at $850. Shipping is easy to work out just need a shop or FFL holder to allow you to ship to them.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #28
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

My friend, after looking at a Chevy, you have now test driven a Rolls in the gun world.
Two complete extremes and price difference for for very, very good reasons.
If money is no option, a Kimber any day.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #29
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
My friend, after looking at a Chevy, you have now test driven a Rolls in the gun world.
Two complete extremes and price difference for for very, very good reasons.
If money is no option, a Kimber any day.
Absolutely, I would have the Kimber if I werent such a tight wad!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #30
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

I'm shocked nobody suggested this holster company http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/ best holster company out there and Made in the USA lifetime warrenty I use them on all my Carry guns, this is what I have for my LCP. You will not be sorry http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/MicroClip.aspx also they have a second's page where they sell their miss cuts or returns for dirt cheap.. let me know if you are interested.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #31
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
Texasguntrader.com has a Kimber solo listed with two MAGAZINES used for sale by an individual at $850. Shipping is easy to work out just need a shop or FFL holder to allow you to ship to them.
Fixed that for you.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #32
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Quote:

Research before popping for it. A friend of mine had one…for 2 months. He's a 1911 guy, but was not fond of the Solo. The fit and finish wasn't on par with their other 1911's. I say stick with the Ruger and when the time is right, do a 1911 you want. The Ruger and the Solo will do the same job. Close contact suppression. You're not going to hit cans at 100 yards with either of them. But both of them will hit a threat at 7 yards and closer all day long.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #33
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

For holsters, I use a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster every single day. It is very sticky so it won't fall out of your pocket:

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...r/lcp-lasermax
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #34
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Scott are you planning on using the .380 as a back up to your 9mm? I personally don't see the point in a .380 for concealed carry when you could take a 9mm or 45. Personally I would take the 9 over the 45. as long as you have good 9mm hollows they will do the job just fine plus you can carry more ammo then a 45.

the S&W Shield doesn't seem too much bigger then the Ruger if your ok with venturing away from the 380. Otherwise you could check out the bodygaurd which is a 380 caliber.
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #35
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

This LCP is small, Ryan. Very small. Very light, too. I got a couple boxes of Civil Defense ammo that weighs almost nothing. The whole point is to have a comfortable ccw that I'll actually carry. I have a 9mm 1911 frame that I would never carry as a ccw. Too heavy, cumbersome, and clunky.
But we're not having that conversation here. We did that awhile ago.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #36
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I have an LC9. I carry it daily. I think you'd be fine with the LCP. That was actually my first choice but my dad talked me into the 9. You've got a lot of really good recomendations for holsters, for me I like ones that go in the waste band. The ones posted with a lot of material like the Alien one I cant wear. The rub my love handle funny and irritates me. Something to consider is comfort.

Also I'd jump on the Bud's bandwagon for a price reference
Old 01-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #37
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

So anyways, I carried myself off to National Armory, my local gun shop.
I bought a Ruger LCP .380 with the Crimson Trace laserguard, a Remora inside-the-belt holster (which I'll replace when I can get a custom one made by Mr. Mika and/or the wallet holster Carlos has), 3 boxes of crappy russian target ammo, two boxes of Civil Defense mega ultralight ammo, and a Walther P22.

I got the P22 because it just got traded in, came with a couple extra mags, is a beautiful gun, and is super easy to work the slide and hammer. The trigger pull is soft and reasonably short, too.

I got it because Weeze FINALLY agreed to learn how to shoot. I'm going to take her to classes and get her CCW, and then she can trade this in for a smaller, sexier, little purse cannon.
I'm absolutely thrilled my girl is going to learn to shoot. How awesome is that?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #38
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
I bought a Ruger LCP .380 with the Crimson Trace laserguard, a Remora inside-the-belt holster (which I'll replace when I can get a custom one made by Mr. Mika and/or the wallet holster Carlos has), 3 boxes of crappy russian target ammo, two boxes of Civil Defense mega ultralight ammo, and a Walther P22.

I got the P22 because it just got traded in, came with a couple extra mags, is a beautiful gun, and is super easy to work the slide and hammer. The trigger pull is soft and reasonably short, too.

I got it because Weeze FINALLY agreed to learn how to shoot. I'm going to take her to classes and get her CCW, and then she can trade this in for a smaller, sexier, little purse cannon.
I'm absolutely thrilled my girl is going to learn to shoot. How awesome is that?
Just make sure she listens unlike my wife.
Make sure that thumb in the shooting hand is nowhere near that slide or like my wife, whom I repeated to look out for that countless times, managed to almost have it sliced in half.
On the up side, has never, ever, ever been a concern again.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #39
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Grats scott on both the gun and your daughters pursuing this hobby too! We definitely need more youth involvement plus now you don't have to worry about her knowing she'll be rocking a purse cannon!!
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #40
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Nice pick ups Scott!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote