Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
mike_in_sa

Default Noob - What to Smoke??

Hey All

I am new to the forum and definitely new to cigars. I began smoking them within the last couple of weeks. My picking method amounts to pin the tale on the donkey with the first couple. I've picked some others based on online searches for beginner cigars and came across the Arturo Feunte Gran Reserva and Special Seleciton. I like them both and give the nod to the latter.

My question is how do I know what to try and what to stay away from as a new cigar smoker? I currently have the following in my meager collection:

Arturo Fuente Exquisito
Arturo Fuente Short Story
Nub Connecticut
Olivia Serie V Double Robusto
Acid Blondie
Cohiba Robusto

Last night I smoked the Nub 358 Habano which was excellent. Mild, smooth, and quite long lasting. I also had an Arturo Fuente Best Seller that I was looking forward to trying, but a friend came over and I just couldn't let him sit there watching me smoke (I think we have another lunatic getting ready to enter the Asylum!).

Also, I want to jump in on the NST, but I do not want to send out sub-standard cigars to our seasoned members. Any ideas on what I should get in order to prepare for a trade?

Lastly, I am looking for better storage than the resealable baggies I'm getting from my local cigar joints. I've been told to go the cooler route, but I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle. Been thinking I'll go with a real humidor, but I'm trying to research tupperware as a stop gap. At this point I am not leaning one way or the other...just looking for seasoned vets to give the best path to follow. Thoughts?

Ok - I lied, this is actually my last question. I've been surfing Joe's Cigars and other daily deals sites. How do I know what is worth trying and what isn't?

Please help as I am quickly approaching information overload!!

Sorry for the long post, but I already know this is going to become an obsession.

Mike
The Mad Monkey On the Loose
Old 04-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Mark
Tarheel.

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Mark will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Noob - What to Smoke??

Okay I'll try to answer a few of the questions - first, what to smoke and what to stay away from? This one is easy. Smoke what you like and stay away from what you dont like. Simple as that. This hobby is about relaxing and personal enjoyment, not ratings or the "look at me I'm smoking something expensive/new/hard to find" factor.

Now for the NST, send what you like! I would advise against sending flavored cigars (like the acid) because some people are especially averse to them, but the point of the NST is just to trade with some other newbies things that are ticking your palate at the time.

Now for what to try, I would say if you see a deal that looks too good to be true, it usually is. Don't be afraid to ask someone you trust (in a PM preferably) what they think about a particular cigar, and get a few opinions before you make a decision. Buying online can be great, but if you have a local B&M I would say, especially when you are first starting off, go there and ask the employees what they like, buy one of each of those, and save your bands. I tell my customers to write if they liked a cigar or not on the back of the bands, then bring them back in and I can help them narrow down what their palate seems to be like.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions - I am more than willing to help out where I can.

Welcome to the asylum brother, and to a wonderful hobby!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Mark
Tarheel.

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Mark will become famous soon enough

Oh right, and as far as the humidor/cooler goes, a coolidor will be MUCH less hassle. No seasoning, no seal issues, just get some beads (PM me if you want to know where to get them, there are a few members selling beads that are great guys) and let 'her go!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Smoke the Acid Blondie first so you can get that damn thing away from the rest of your cigars, plus youll need to smoke the rest back to back to get the taste out of your mouth

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Smoke everything you can and keep track of what you like and don't like. Then let these notes help you choose other cigars.....and don't ever be afraid to try something new.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
TXRebel
Have My Own Room

First Name: Cary
Trading: (12)
TXRebel has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Smoke the Acid Blondie first so you can get that damn thing away from the rest of your cigars, plus youll need to smoke the rest back to back to get the taste out of your mouth
+1
Don't store your infused cigars with regular ones.
Posted via Mobile Device
TXRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

Just about everything is worth trying once, except maybe that Acid cigar you have
Just teasin'. I would echo all the advice already given, try things all over the flavor scale. Some things you will love, some you will loathe. Enjoy! Variety is the spice of life.
Superbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_sa View Post
How do I know what is worth trying and what isn't?
By trying as many different cigars as you can. That's how you discover what tastes good on your palate, and besides...that's half the fun at the beginning.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
DoctaJ
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (5)
DoctaJ is on a distinguished road

I, as a person who was in your shoes not too long ago, will give you what I feel are some choices that are within a price range that is doable for a person new to this slippery slope :

MILD
CAO Gold
Casa Torano
5 Vegas Gold

MEDIUM
Rocky Patel Vintage 90 and 92
Padron 3000 (maduro)
Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 Natural

FULL
Rocky Patel Edge
La Gloria Cubana Serie R
CAO Brazilia
Partagas Black
5 Vegas A

Also, if you want to spend a little more money, I would HIGHLY recommend these:
Ashton VSG
Padron '64 maduro

Good luck with your search. This is a great lifestyle that I am sure you will fall into and like as many of the people here do
DoctaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

I think it's all been covered, but just to recap:
1. Try the Newbie Sampler Trade, a great way to experience new cigars and get some trading rep under your belt.
2. Buy samplers. These come in a large variety: strength, cigars from a particular country, cigars from a specific vendor, vitola, etc.
3. Make notes, especially wrapper/binder/filler tobaccos, flavors you did/didn't enjoy. Once you have a good base (say for example you find you like PA broadleaf maduro wrappers), look for more of the same.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
bigpedunn
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
bigpedunn is on a distinguished road

A good cigar is one that you enjoy keep track of the ones that you like.
bigpedunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRebel View Post
+1
Don't store your infused cigars with regular ones.
Posted via Mobile Device
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Mike, I am also a Noob and I have received allot of great info from this site. The one thing I can really recommend is to the the Noob trade. I have just completed my first and have smoked a number of sticks that are not at my local B&M. It also give exposure to a broad range.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
mike_in_sa

Thank you for all the replies. I have been going on a little spending spreen at the local shops. Will yall mind listing some sites where I can get a good start?

I threw my monkey hat into the ring to an NST...now if my ADD can only be kept in control as I wait to be put on the list...SO ANXIOUS!!!!

BTW, I gave the Blondie a try last night and I will not be repeating. I was so confused by it that the monkey almost lost his banana's. Made my lips tingle and left a harsh taste in my mouth.

Thanks

The Mad (Pissed after the Blondie) Monkey

Last edited by mike_in_sa; 04-26-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1612
Old 04-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #16
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

A lot of sites put out daily/weekly deals. That's a good way to sample a bunch of individual sticks without paying a lot for them. You can check cigarbid, Cigar International, Thompson (USE A FAKE PHONE NUMBER), Famous...the list goes on and on. I signed up for the email list and they send me the daily/weekly deals.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
mike_in_sa

Damn....Pnoon just spanked the monkey.

Thanks bro

Mad Monkey
Old 04-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Or just use Peter's link...