Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
jhayes

Post Ventilating a Cigar Room

We have converted out basement, an old fallout shelter, into a cigar room. We have 2 separate pipes that run to the outside as vents. They are 2 3/4 inch in diameter. We are trying to figure out an easy, inexpensive and not too ugly way to attach some type of fan or exhaust fan to these to help suck out the smoke.

The room itself is 8 x 10 and the pipe are on adjoining walls about 10 feet away from each other. We tried a small computer fan reversed but it doesn't have enough drawing power to help empty the room.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Ventilating a Cigar Room

Biggest bathroom exhaust you can find.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Biggest bathroom exhaust you can find.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
jhayes

LOL And hook it up how?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Hitagain
Bomb'n relocation program

First Name: Allen
Trading: (7)
SCdlH
Hitagain is on a distinguished road

Look for a fan with a 3" discharge. the only problem is you will be limited the amount of cfm you can push thru. Maybe use a in line bilge blower from a boat? Would have to get a 12v power supply for it.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Set up one pipe to pull fresh air in from the inside, use the other to ventilate the room. Got to have make up air, can't just exhaust the room. Put a fan on each one.

The fans you are looking for are "HVAC Booster Fans". This will get you started.

Good luck - B.B.S.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Nathan
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Nathan is on a distinguished road

I would use a bathroom fan, either a cabinet model with the grille on the bottom or an inline model if you already have a grille set up. Either of these can be bought from any home improvement store. They will all be sold with a CFM rating atached to them which is a misnomer because it will depend on static pressure drop but it will give you a good comparison. 115v single phase is pretty standard for them so they will run on the power you have in your house and most of them are permanent split capacitor or partially shaded motors so you can get a potentiometer type speed controller to control the flow. Broan-NuTone has numerous lines that you could use.

Last edited by Nathan; 08-26-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

You might also want to look at fans that are designed to mount on the wall and exhaust gas appliances such as water heaters. You aren't burning gas, of course, but it's set up to mount on the side wall.

You need to make sure that there is a source of fresh outside makeup air. If you exhaust without makeup air, you might lower the pressure in the basement. Then, if you have gas appliance or a fireplace, they won't draft right. That's potentially dangerous.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
You need to make sure that there is a source of fresh outside makeup air. If you exhaust without makeup air, you might lower the pressure in the basement. Then, if you have gas appliance or a fireplace, they won't draft right. That's potentially dangerous.
It's better to have more air coming in than going out (if there had to be an inbalance). What about a plain old wall fan with an exhaust? I use that in my house and it works great. I have had 7-8 people smoking at once in my kitchen and it exhaust good enough all considered.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Guys, no dis, but I have yet to see any "bathroom fan" with enough CFM to get it done....and I've seen several smoking rooms where guys attempted just that. One room where the guy installed THREE bathroom fans. It was loud as hell and didn't move nearly enough air to clear out the room.

mosesbotbol hit the nail on the head - it's all about the makeup air. You can get it done with a window fan that has two fans; set one to pull air in, the other to pull air out...but booster fans will do it better, faster, and with less noise. If you have two vents coming into the room, the hard work is done. Get some HVAC booster fans and set one to pull air in, and the other for exhaust....you should be golden.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

The size of your pipes is going to be a problem when it comes to moving air. Look into the inline fans like Vortex, Fantech or Active Air. These are not cheap, but they are somewhat quiet and push a lot of air for their size.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

An inmate's brother built an amazing basement cigar room. He posted detailed plans, pics, part numbers, and prices on his site. See here for details:

http://www.ryandeyer.com/cigar-room/
Old 08-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
Look into the inline fans like Vortex, Fantech or Active Air. These are not cheap, but they are somewhat quiet and push a lot of air for their size.
Wow, those are some serious fans!

Personally, I like the smoke to linger a little and then exhaust or exhaust at a rate where the smoke stays some until I am ready to kick it up a notch.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Nathan
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Nathan is on a distinguished road

Start by figuring out how many air changes per hour you need, then with the size of the room you can get to how much flow in CFM you need. You can get a bathroom fan, wall prop fan or a duct fan all of them will work the same as long as they can hit the performance. If you buy a 50 CFM bathroom fan meant for an apartment bathroom you aren't going to get any flow (that is what my computer fan does) but if you buy a 1500 CFM bathroom or inline cabinet fan you will get a lot more.

Select the type of fan based on looks and fit then size the fan correctly for the job. A bathroom or cabinet fan is nice because they are square and are easy to fit in the joists, a round duct fan could be nice to mount on the ductwork but then you have to support it, a wallprop fan is nice to mount on the wall. The bathroom fan is also nice because you can get versions with internal backdraft dampers to help with air getting in when you don't want it to. Also centrifugal fans will be able to overcome the extra pressure if it is windy outside trying to blow air back in your ductwork when the fan is on. An axial fan is more likely to stall if the air is blowing back into your ductwork.

Last edited by Nathan; 08-27-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Good thoughts, Nathan
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote