Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #141
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '09-'10

Well Vic, if Bobby Gonzalez can get his boys to play like they did Saturday against WVA, your Orange is gonna have a game on their hands. That Hazell kid will be shooting over Boeheim's zone all night long, and if he has the range you're in trouble.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #142
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Well Vic, if Bobby Gonzalez can get his boys to play like they did Saturday against WVA, your Orange is gonna have a game on their hands. That Hazell kid will be shooting over Boeheim's zone all night long, and if he has the range you're in trouble.
I a tually hope so Thomas, a little adversityis good for the soul!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #143
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
I a tually hope so Thomas, a little adversityis good for the soul!
That's the spirit, brother. Those 105-32 games ain't no fun at all.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #144
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The action involving top teams last night was not so good, no matter how you cut it. F'instance:

UNC 81 - Rutgers 67 = The final score is about what one would expect, but it does not tell the story of a game that both should have been closer and not nearly as close. The Heels had a 17-point lead early in the second half, and were already in the bonus with only four minutes gone, but the Scarlet Knights cut it to 4 points with about two minutes left - which would have been even tighter had they hit more than 3 of 23 from outside the arc. Only a late run, started by a Dexter Strickland "No, no, no . . . YES!" 3-pointer, got the margin back up to respectable. Roy still hasn't gotten through to these guys yet, and the ACC season is approaching fast.

Florida 76 - American 60 = Gators stop the bleeding in a gimme game that was not terribly impressive.

Gonzaga 94 - Eastern Washington 52 = Like this - though it's just as meaningless a win.

Nevada 78 - Portland 69 = One of the two wanna-bes had to win, ya know?

BYU 99 - Arizona 69 = A couple of close wins by these Wildcats is followed by this stomping.

Actually, I found two other games to be of more interest than these:

Richmond 66 - N.C. Wilmington 64 = Remember, these Spiders have already beaten Miss. State, Missouri, ODU, and Florida. This squeaker against UNC-W is embarrassing.

NJIT 66 - Wagner 56 = And why is this of interest? Well, it gave the Highlanders their fourth win of this season, which is twice as many as they had in the previous two campaigns. Remember, they had a 51-game losing streak from 2007-09, so their present 4-8 record is a cause for celebration.

There looks to be a few good games sprinkled in amongst the crap tonight:

Kansas vs. Belmont = This ain't one of them.
Texas vs. Gardner-Webb = Nor this.
Kentucky vs. Hartford = Nor this snorer either.
Purdue vs. Iowa = Well, at least it is a conference game, but that's about all one can say.
Syracuse vs. Seton Hall = OK, now here might be a contest, as discussed above yesterday.
Duke vs. Long Beach State = Hey, I said a FEW good games, didn't I?
West Virginia vs. Marquette = Ehhhh, I give this one a shot at being a game anyway.
Kansas State vs. Cleveland State = Uhhhh, I don't give this one the same shot.
Ole Miss vs. Jacksonville State = Or this one either.
Clemson vs. South Carolina . . . State = Had you hoping for a second there, right?
New Mexico vs. Texas Tech = I expect this to be a war, as both teams need the W.
LSU vs. Xavier = And I've got a feeling this one too could be fun.

There's not a lot of poison for you to pick above, but there is some - so enjoy.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #145
Resipsa

The 'Cuse......

15-0 run starting at the 12 minute mark put it away, baby.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #146
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
The 'Cuse......

15-0 run starting at the 12 minute mark put it away, baby.
Yes, and they needed that run too. For a team projected to rule the cellar of the Big East, Seton Hall is certainly putting the fear of God into some highly-ranked schools. A 80-73 loss to the # 5 Orangemen, following an OT loss to # 6 West Virginia? Not too shabby, if you ask me.

There were a few other decent games last night too:

# 4 Purdue 67 - Iowa 56 = Don't let that 11-point win fool you. The 12-0 Boilermakers had to shoot over 65% in the second half to beat the 5-8 Hawkeyes.

# 6 West Virginia 63 - Marquette 62 = Did I not tell you this could be a tight one? The Mountainmen dodged their second minieball inna row when Butler hit that 20-footer with 2 ticks left.

# 19 New Mexico 90 - # 20 Texas Tech 75 = I thought this would be closer, but only the Lobos showed up.

# 21 Clemson 70 - South Carolina State 67 = Sheesh. No other comment needed.

And out of the ranked we had:

Delaware 82 - Lafayette 72 (OT) = Don't you just love extra helpings?

Tonight there are a few potential gems scattered amongst the dogs:

# 9 UNC vs. Albany = Woof.

# 10 U. Conn vs. Cincinnati = Here we've got a shot at some fun.

# 11 Michigan State vs. Texas Arlington = Here we got no shot.

# 18 Temple vs. Northern Illinois = Not much bang here either.

# 24 UAB vs. UVA = This is in Cav country, so the Jeffersonians have a decent chance.

# 25 Northwestern vs. Illinois = These particular Wildcats (as opposed to many of the upteen-dozen others) have not been ranked since early 1969, and though this Illini team is not a classic one, Northwestern may make an even earlier exit.

Duquesne vs. ODU = These two can match up quite well.

William & Mary vs. Maryland = Don't be shocked if this one's closer than the Terps would prefer.

Providence vs. Notre Dame = When middlin' conference foes meet, anything can happen.

Baylor vs. Arkansas = Not a conference matchup, but otherwise ibid.

South Carolina vs. Boston College = Ibid ibid.

Enjoy.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:03 PM   #147
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Hey, whaddaya know? Again I managed to call a few:

# 9 UNC 87 - Albany 70 = Once more this game was not this close, yet closer than Roy Williams wanted. The most significant note is that both teams scored 41 points in the second half - which is totally unacceptable. Were I Roy I'd bench the whole damn team.

Cincinnati 71 - # 10 U. Conn. 69 = Jim Calhoun has no beef. If you fall behind, catch up and tie with 9 ticks left, then foul a freshman at the horn to give him two shots for the win, you've only your own team to blame. I don't wanna hear no whining about the zebras.

# 18 Temple 70 - Northern Illinois 60 = Here's another one of those "bad" wins. Ten points ain't squat.

Virginia 72 - # 24 UAB 63 = And here's a good win, for the Cavs.

Illinois 89 - # 25 Northwestern 83 (OT) = Did I not say they'd likely make a quick departure from those ranked?

William & Mary 83 - Maryland 77 = Like I predicted, closer than Gary Williams would prefer.

ODU 63 - Duquesne 54 = Yeah, a decent matchup, though not as decent as . . .

Central Conn. State 89 - UMBC 86 (2 OT) = Hey, if anybody cared about either of these two teams, this would have been the game of the week.

A good percentage of today's action is already over, even if the clock's still running:

# 23 Wisconsin 65 - # 15 Ohio State 43 = Yeah, I know this was in Madison, and I know the Buckeyes miss Evan Turner, but that's just pitiful.

Indiana 71 - Michigan 65 = Does anyone but me and the Wolverine fans remember that UM was once ranked, whereas the Hoosiers are - well, just rank?

IUPUI 79 - IPFW 69 = OMG, WTF?

With time still left, # 14 Tennessee has an OK lead over Memphis, while # 22 Florida State is spanking Alabama A&M. Also, UCLA has a healthy margin over Arizona State early in the second half. Later games tonight include:

# 7 Duke vs. Penn = Were this a science fair, Penn would have the edge. But it ain't, and they don't.

# 13 Georgetown vs. St. John's = I am really interested in seeing if the Johnnies can hold their own against the Hoyas.

# 17 Washington vs. Oregon State = Any conference game, especially early, can be a test.

Oregon vs. Washington State = And no, I'm not suffering from dyslexia here, nor am I repeating myself.

Richmond vs. Wake Forest = This I see as one hell of a non-conference contest.

Oklahoma vs. Gonzaga = This, not so much, though the Sooners might shock me and show up.

Arizona vs. USC = The Trojans have started to play better, while the Wildcats have not.

Wisc. Green Bay vs. Butler = Green Bay is almost always well-coached and a tough out, so Butler's rollercoaster could continue.

And as for action to kick off the New Year tomorrow, there's not a lot to choose from - though part of it might be "cherch":

# 4 Purdue vs. # 6 West Virginia = I personally believe both teams are a bit over-ranked, so this one is truly of interest to me.

# 19 New Mexico vs. Dayton = Can the Flyers top the Lobos? There's a chance.

# 20 Texas Tech vs. McNeese State = OK, there's a clinker in every bunch. Regardless, enjoy.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:11 PM   #148
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

In case anyone cares, UCLA's double-digit lead over ASU has slipped to 1 point with 8 minutes left - yes, and it's in Pauley too. Sheesh.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #149
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

UCLA holds on to top ASU 72-70. Speaking of tops, the Rocky Tops best cross-state rival Memphis 66-59. And surprise surprise, Dook is just murdering Penn.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #150
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Happy hoopy New Year! There's a bunch to cover, so lemme get to it:

On the last day of 2009, we had a few good games:

# 13 Georgetown 66 - St. John's 59 = A nice win for the Hoyas, and not an embarrassment for St. John's either.

# 17 Washington 76 - Oregon State 70 = Here was a tight border war, but not as tight as . . .

Oregon 91 - Washington State 89 (2 OT) = Did anybody see this one? I'm curious as to if it was one neither wanted to lose, or neither wanted to win. If the former, it's a classic.

USC 56 - Arizona 50 = I suspect the low score was more a product of bad offense than good defense, but regardless it was competitive. Again, speaking of competition . . .

Wake Forest 74 - Richmond 68 (OT) = I KNEW this would be a good one. The teams were tied at the half, tied at the end of regulation, but the Deacs outfought the Spiders 12-6 in the extra 5 minutes. Ohhh, baby.

Then to kick off 2010, we had these:

# 4 Purdue 77 - # 6 West Virginia 62 = Lessee, we had that OT against Seton Hall last weekend, then this 15-point pounding by the Boilermakers. Coupled with their Gator Bowl loss in Bowden's swan song, it was not a great week for the Mountaineers.

# 19 New Mexico 68 - Dayton 66 = Well, the Flyers hung tough . . . just not quite tough enough.

# 20 Texas Tech 76 - McNeese State 75 = C'mon, you gotta be kiddin' me. McNeese State? Hrumpff.

Today there is a ton of action, some already in progress:

# 5 Syracuse has a slim lead over Pitt halfway through the first, but # 10 U. Conn is in a real war with Notre Dame, while so far Arkansas is laying a whuppin' on # 24 UAB. I'll keep you updated. Other games include:

# 1 Kansas vs. # 18 Temple = One's gonna wanna run, the other crawl. This could get interesting . . . for a while, anyway.

# 2 Texas vs. TAMU Corpus Christi = Cupcake of Criminy, given to thee Horns.

# 3 Kentucky vs. Louisville = Hatfields and McCoys, brothers. I think Calipari and Pitino should just face off with pistols at midcourt.

# 8 Villanova vs. Marquette = Hmmmm. Might be a pretty good matchup.

# 11 Michigan State vs. # 25 Northwestern = Northwestern's week in the spotlight ends with a second loss.

# 17 Washington vs. Oregon = Should be fairly close for a while, but the Dawgs have that Starbucks edge over the Quacks.

Georgia Tech vs. Charlotte = Nice potential out of conference, and the ranked.

Seton Hall vs. Virginia Tech = Ditto.

Gonzaga vs. Illinois = Ibid.

Cincinnati vs. Rutgers = Mid-pack conference implications.

USC vs. Arizona State = Also.

Arizona vs. UCLA = Less so, as both may turn into bottom-feeders.

Then come Sunday we can look forward to:

# 12 Kansas State vs. South Dakota = Well, maybe we can't look forward to this one.

# 13 Georgetown vs. DePaul = Nor this one, unless the Blue Demons find some old magic.

# 15 Ohio State vs. Michigan = The Logans need a good win, and badly. Will the Buckeyes oblige?

# 20 Texas Tech vs. UTEP = Ehhh, who the fark cares anyway?

# 23 Wisconsin vs. Penn State = Uh, yeah.

Florida vs. N. C. State = This could be the best game out of the ranked teams.

Whatever you choose, enjoy.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #151
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

UAB turned it around and opened up an 8-point lead at the half. Syracuse up 3 at the break, and U. Conn/Notre Dame still tight with 5 gone in the second.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #152
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

All three of these games are still tight, though Pitt has moved 5 up on the Orange.

Oh, there's two games tomorrow I forgot to mention:

# 7 Duke vs. # 21 Clemson = This is in Cameron, and Clemson has always had the tendency to collapes, so expect a blowout.

Wake Forest vs. Xavier = Hey, how could I miss this one? It may well be the best game on Sunday.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #153
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

UAB/Ark still tight, but U.Conn has moved out double-digits over Irish - and Pitt the same over 'Cuse. There's still time for the Orange, but they'd better get busy.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #154
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

U.Conn bests ND by a dozen, and UAB steals the win at the horn 73-72. With a minute-plus left Pitt has a healthy lead over a Syracuse team that - so far - has shot under 10% from 3 and committed two dozen fouls.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #155
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Pitt gives Syracuse its first loss, 82-72. At the half, Gonzaga and Arizona have nice leads over Illinois and UCLA, respt.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #156
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Arizona well ahead of the Bruins, and Illini a bit atop the 'Zags - middle of 2nd half.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #157
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Arizona has this one, up 16 with 1 1/2 left. Illinois up one in OT over Gonzaga.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #158
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Arizona 77 - UCLA 63. Season from hell for the Bruins continues.
Gonzaga 85 - Illinois 83 (OT) = Bulldogs only scored 6 in OT, but Illini only scored 4. Sheesh.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #159
popo212

On my way to watch the KU/Temple game at Bullfrogs Live here in Topeka. The Topeka Jayhawk Club is having a Hawk Watch for todays game. They are ranked #1 but I really down want to face Texas twice.
Final Four; Kansas, Texas, Kentucky and Kansas State. The last one is not a typo.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #160
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo212 View Post
On my way to watch the KU/Temple game at Bullfrogs Live here in Topeka. The Topeka Jayhawk Club is having a Hawk Watch for todays game. They are ranked #1 but I really down want to face Texas twice.
Final Four; Kansas, Texas, Kentucky and Kansas State. The last one is not a typo.
Enjoy the game, brother. And it's damn decent of you to allow somebody out of your conference into the Final Four. Hey, I've learned to expect that sort of home-cooking from the Big East fans, but not from the Big 12. You sure you don't wanna replace Kentucky with Texas A&M or Tech?

BTW, KU and UT only meet once in the regular season.