Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
Legend

Default el cheapo economy

Haven't done a review in a while or posted much for that matter. In the middle of escrow on a house and the down economy has effected my business. So even though I prefer great cigars I decided that if grab some cheap crap off cbid aka devil site. And take a shot. I grabbed 100 sticks for 60 bucks and hit well with both.

I thougt about seconds and I've had good luck with some of those but typically I was still paying buck and a half or more a stick. I wanted to pay less than a buck. So I scoured the CI buck a stick. I'd actually gotten one of them before broctus for about 85 cents each and they were not bad. Very mild. I saw some others that had come in some samplers. Pirates gold which the called med-full but no where near that in my experience. I like a med to full smoke so I was looking for something with nicaraguan tobacco in it. Only thing I found was perdomo slow aged and perdomo fresh rolled. Both ice tried and both were over a buck. I wanted dirt cheap. So I went to the 2fer bedlam page of the CI catalog and checked there. Almost everything is Dominican and mild. Actually ygat wasn't surprising its much easier to make a mild cigar palatable than a stronger one. So the 3 strongest cigars on there were cremosa cubana. Oro cubano. And vieja hacienda. V H was a fuma so I said no. Went to cbid and found 2 boxes of oro robusto and 2 boxes of cremosa. Brought in the oro for 10 bucks a box and the cremosa for 16. After shipping 60 bucks. 100 cigars.

Received them yesterday and tried one of each off the truck.

I like them. Similar in flavor. They smell horrible. Like copenhagen. And they burn fast but I wouldn't rate either a dog rocket. They are both solid yard gars. 2 on the legend scale.

I've seen some other reviews or comments on these and its my opinion that the bad image is mostly sticker price snobbery. I've had my share of dog rockets. Most had a Thompson label on it or even machine made. These are decent smokes. If you see SB in murrieta CA bidding on them. Stay away. Remember I gave you the tip. Although I won't be bidding for a while. Got 100 smokes to Go through.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation
Default Re: Legend-el cheapo economy

Thats disgusting Shawn. Throw the sticks in the trash.

If you like them then that is all that matters man. I have not tried either so I really cant put them down.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwc4sc View Post
Thats disgusting Shawn. Throw the sticks in the trash.

If you like them then that is all that matters man. I have not tried either so I really cant put them down.
I will not hang my head in shame Gary. Fat chicks need lovin too.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Legend... I was thinking about you last night as I was enjoying an Esteban Carerra Churchill maduro. The Churchill maduros are long gone, but the toros are still available. The corojos are also available. There have been some on cbid for a buck a stick. These are good smokes. That price is ridiculous and they are almost gone.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Did you say you liked the Cremosa?

I got a 5'er off a fellow BOTL on here. They smell horrible and don't taste like anything. If you enjoy them, that is all that matters
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Smoke what you enjoy, bottom line.

I will tell you that I have tried and subsequently badmouthed the Cremosas, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the price.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I love me some Esteban Carrera Maduros. Can't beat them at a buck a stick.
Many of the Indian Tabac Maduros can be had for around a buck a stick and they're righteous.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I will tell you that I have tried and subsequently badmouthed the Cremosas, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the price.
It was the "cat urine mixed with bum spit" flavor wasn't it.

They still sell them so sombody is buyin' them. There is a cigar out there for everybody.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
It was the "cat urine mixed with bum spit" flavor wasn't it.
Good memory, Greg.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
Legend

I honestly fully expected them to be dog rockets.

And don't get me wrong when I say "liked em" its fully with the disclaimer of for the price. They are yard gars. I have no qualms about pitching one halfway.

Basically this was an experiment because I had to come up with ten grand I didn't expect to qualify for my loan.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Cremosa and Oro suck!!!!! I fell for this deal when I first started out. You all can check out some of my posts about these sticks at the old place.
Vieja Hacienda ain't bad. Not good, but not bad.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote