Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default When did Pepin take over La Aroma de Cuba?

So...I have seen these floating around on the forum lately. LAdC has always been one of my favorite 'go to' sticks. When did Pepin take this over from Ashton? How's the new blend and is there a way to tell them apart at a B&M? I need to get my hands on some.

-Chip
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: When did Pepin take over La Aroma de Cuba?

about a year or more ago. the new one has a red band on the foot, and iirc are slightly diff sizes from the old. the new ones are better, but the ee's arent as good imo.
Posted via Mobile Device
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Thanks. I'll have to check the shop up the road and see if they have them.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
pinotguy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (13)
pinotguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
about a year or more ago. the new one has a red band on the foot, and iirc are slightly diff sizes from the old. the new ones are better, but the ee's arent as good imo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Was there a different version of the EE that I'm not aware of? I'd always thought that Pepin had made the EE from the very beginning .
pinotguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

if he did it just isnt the same to my tastes, or its all in my head. maybe one of the rocks up there got in the way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Originally Pepins only stick for LADC was the EE which I want to say has been out at least 4 years now. I am not sure if he has total control over the brand and it no longer belongs to Ashton but the EE seemed to be an instant hit so I would guess that they had him make more blends to breathe some new life into the brand. I would be curious to hear from those in the know if Pepin has more in LADC than just blending for them.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
kydsid
Ditat Deus

i think he is rolling them too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough

Ashton is still in control of LAdC however pepin blends and I think rolls them as well
CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
pinotguy
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Originally Pepins only stick for LADC was the EE which I want to say has been out at least 4 years now. I am not sure if he has total control over the brand and it no longer belongs to Ashton but the EE seemed to be an instant hit so I would guess that they had him make more blends to breathe some new life into the brand. I would be curious to hear from those in the know if Pepin has more in LADC than just blending for them.
This is interesting. I was definitely not aware that the brand is no longer owned by Ashton. Who owns it now? Interesting as well, is that they just brought out the Mi Amor earlier this year. Did this change only occur recently?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Pinot, I think you may have misread my post. I was not sure if Ashton let go of the brand but I doubt it as I believe it would have been pretty big news if they did. I am just curious to how much Pepin has in the company other than just the sticks that he blends/rolls.
Sorry I usually lump blend and roll together as one. Pepin definitely is rolling his the sticks that he blended.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
pinotguy
Still Watching My Back

John - I did mis-read your post. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
The LAdC EE came out in 2008 and yes, it was always a Pepin blended & rolled cigar. It was in 2009 that Ashton had Pepin take over production of the the "regular" LAdC from Altadis in Honduras, which included his reblending of the cigar with more Nicaraguan tobacco.

I can't honestly say if Pepin now has a partial stake in the ownership of the LAdC name or not, I really don't know - I will say that I haven't heard anything to that effect though.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
auburnfan1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
The LAdC EE came out in 2008 and yes, it was always a Pepin blended & rolled cigar. It was in 2009 that Ashton had Pepin take over production of the the "regular" LAdC from Altadis in Honduras, which included his reblending of the cigar with more Nicaraguan tobacco.

I can't honestly say if Pepin now has a partial stake in the ownership of the LAdC name or not, I really don't know - I will say that I haven't heard anything to that effect though.
Ok, ok, guys....I just texted Jose and he told me to tell you guys to settle down...he only blends these and has no ownership of the brand. He also said to those of you who say you're not a big fan of the EE anymore, he's black-listing you and will personally come to your home and stip you of all Pepin-blended sticks in your humi. I realize you're all jealous that Pepin and I are close and text all the time as well as me being invited to Nicaragua to roll the My Father Limited Edition with he and his son. I'd also like to remind everyone that I'm totally serious and never sarcastic. Ever. I promise.

On a serious note....the new blend of the LadC is fantastic and at under $6 for the belicoso, it's a fantastic value. The EE has better flavor to me- outstanding flavor as a matter of fact- but I seem to always have construction problems with this one. I dunno if they don't roll them tight or if there's just not much tobacco in them, but across the board (from a sampling of the same cigar from different humidors), they almost always seem to tunnel very badly in the middle. Has anyone else noticed this with the EE?