Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default My First Tobacco Flower.

They're lookin' good.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice
Default Re: My First Tobacco Flower.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Very Nice.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Waynegro1

Lookin' good, Scott!!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna smoke it tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

That is awesome Scott. Keep the updates comin!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
dccraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I just knew you were going there
Old 06-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
tzaddi

Next come the seeds, each of those pods have the potential to produce thousands of plants… and so goes the cycle of life

Each year I have tobacco plants appear in planters all on their own. Once a friend always a friend.

Good show Scott.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaddi View Post
Next come the seeds, each of those pods have the potential to produce thousands of plants… and so goes the cycle of life

Each year I have tobacco plants appear in planters all on their own. Once a friend always a friend.

Good show Scott.
I've told you, but the guys don't know...
That flower is the culmination of a 20+ year desire to grow tobacco.
I've grown tons of different plants that are relatives of tobacco, because I love the habit of the plant, and I love the flowers. It's kinda like "you know what kind of women you like", but with plants.
Richard shared the seed with me this past year, and I've finally gotten to witness just how beautiful and complex the plants are.
I really screwed them up this year, so I actually have dwarf, prematurely finishing plants, but the flowers were what I was after and I was truly blessed to get such an early showing.
I still have no idea what I'll do with it (the tobacco), but I may see how to cure it for chewing tobacco (my first love).
That has to be far easier than curing it for cigars. I hope.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Have you started priming it yet? Talk about liguro!
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
I still have no idea what I'll do with it (the tobacco), but I may see how to cure it for chewing tobacco (my first love).
Well really old school, say pre 1700's, snuff wasn't even cured tobacco. It was just ground up leaf that was pressed into the gums. As for curing cigar vs chewing I don't think there is much of a difference, don't really know though. Just hang the stuff somewhere you can control the temp. Hell a clothes line in the garage would work if the temp didn't swing much. The commercial boys just use oversized open air barns. Maybe I can get more info from one of my peeps that worked at the USDA Tobacco lab before they closed it down in 02.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Have you started priming it yet? Talk about liguro!
I doubt they'll be ready for priming for another couple months.
My guess is that since they are forcing flowers already, and I'm getting offshoots at all the notches, they won't turn into "real" tobacco plants.
Thus, primings ain't gonna happen.
Best I can do is wait and see what happens.
What's gonna be cool is that these plants will look like none other because of holding them back. It'll very much change the plant structure and their habit.
They'll be much fuller, have hundreds more leaves, and be more like bushes than upright corn-stalky plants.
It's gonna be cool, even if it's totally wrong.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
Mikey202
Tight Lines !!!!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (6)
SLR Army (Served With Honor)
Mikey202 will become famous soon enoughMikey202 will become famous soon enough

Cool!!! I know when I lived in Tennessee, they would hang them in the drying/curing barns and smoke cure them. The first time I saw that process, I thought someones barn was on fire!!! Then they would take the leaves and make a twisted/ braided chewing tobacco plug. Maybe if you have a smoker, you can cure some that way?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

I love living vicariously through you.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
tzaddi

True on that hanging the whole plant procedure. Last season I gave that method a go along with the "priming" adventure. I must say that hanging the whole plant at the end of the season is much easier given the lack of a barn and extra farmhands. The plants dry slower as they continue to feed from the stem doing their conversion and metabolizing the chlorophyl. After a few months, once they have turned a lovely shade of yellow to dark brown they can be spritzed, bringing them back to a pliable state and from there the plant can be disassembled and attentively stored for further cuing and aging. At no point in the process can the leafs well being be taken for granted. A real labor of love begins when the plant is pulled or a leaf plucked. That is my five cents
Old 06-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #16
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for keeping us updated Scott. I may have to give this a try next year. They are very nice looking plants
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:47 AM   #17
jcruse64
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
jcruse64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A barn, sawdust, oak or hickory strips, molasses, and a lighter will get you on the way .

It would be interesting to see how this plant would do with the fire-cured process, but these leaves are not as thick as the dark-fired variety plant, and probably would not hold up to the process. At least not on the scale of an entire barn.

The smell of the smoke from the curing barn is just fantastic. One of my favorite things in the autumn/fall season.
jcruse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #18
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You kill me.....
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #19
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I had no idea.....that's fricking awesome!!!

Is that what happens when you throw the nubs in the backyard?
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote