Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
JasonI

Default Watchmen

So who is seeing watchmen tonight at midnight or any time this weekend? I'm super excited to see this film, I'm a huge fan of the graphic novel. Hopefully I can get a review done sometime after I see it tomorrow night.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

First Name: Michael
Trading: (3)
Punch Army (Retired)
michael88n is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Watchmen

Jason,
I, too, am a huge fan. I should be in line to see it at midnight; but unfortunately I am stuck here. The previews and vignettes on you tube look absolutely amazing and true (kinda) to the g.n. You'll have to tell us all about it.

Cheers,
Michael
michael88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Robert
Trading: (1)
RA
cle_smoker will become famous soon enough

I'm planning on going to watch it this weekend. I never read the graphic novel, but the previews for the movie looked great.
cle_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

I'll be seeing it this weekend, probably Saturday as I'm herfing on Friday. Gotta keep my priorities straight...
Old 03-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

I'll be seeing it tomorrow. Hate Alan Moore, thought the graphic novel was way overrated (and yet important), but really like the looks of the movie.

I think the graphic novel is important yet overrated the same way I think about Nirvana: changed the way people considered the artform and approached it, yet on its own (out of context) just not that interesting.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

I might see it. But I think I will wait for you all to review it!
WildBlueSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

jquirit has disabled reputation

My friends and I are going to try to watch it tonight. We're hoping we can get tickets for it before it sells out.

Here's to hoping!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
LasciviousXXX
Team of 11...Always

First Name: Týr
Trading: (8)
VR
LasciviousXXX has disabled reputation

I got a screener of this last week and watched it this past weekend. I must say that the film is beautiful... really! Aesthetically its just as visually pleasing as 300 was, even more so I'd say.

However, while this movie was highly entertaining and fun it wasn't as good as I wanted it be. I've never read the graphic novel so I had no idea of how it was going into the film however the overall feel coming out of watching it was that it could have been done better. Its a good film with lots of good scenes... but it could have been great. The story is convoluted and some of the lines aren't fully explored that should have been.

However, overall it was really entertaining and I enjoyed it very much.
LasciviousXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

I'd like to see it- but I'm worried about the nudity and graphic language. My wife will get up and walk out of a theater if the film has too much T&A or f-bombs. Can anyone who has seen it advise....? TIA!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Can someone give me a non-spoiler synopsis of what Watchmen is about? I've never read the GN.

I assume it's a hero/villain story. If so, the previews looked so-so good (can't remember if I first saw them while watching Wanted). But I remember my wifey and I both looked at each other and both got a feeling in our gut that the 30 sec. preview was going to be more exciting than the actual movie.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

Trading: (7)
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneycollector View Post
Can someone give me a non-spoiler synopsis of what Watchmen is about? I've never read the GN.

I assume it's a hero/villain story. If so, the previews looked so-so good (can't remember if I first saw them while watching Wanted). But I remember my wifey and I both looked at each other and both got a feeling in our gut that the 30 sec. preview was going to be more exciting than the actual movie.
It takes place in an alternate 1985. A member of an outlawed vigilante group (a superhero group a lot like the league of justice, except not endorsed) is murdered. This brings the old team back together to figure out who did it and why. A lot of flashbacks, violence, cold-war style end-of-the-world doomsday scenarios, etc.
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
hoax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
I'd like to see it- but I'm worried about the nudity and graphic language. My wife will get up and walk out of a theater if the film has too much T&A or f-bombs. Can anyone who has seen it advise....? TIA!
Really? Wow.

I believe there will be full male nudity. In the comic there was a threesome scene and an attempted rape. Not to mention lots of killing. So you may be out of luck.

Can you leave her at home?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
blugill
Feeling at Home

Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

The graphic novel was just amazing when I read it in 1993. I was floored by it. It was every bit as moving to me as The Dark Knight Returns storyline.

The story does move back and forth in time and I can see how it would be extremely confusing for someone not familiar with the GN. From the scenes I've seen it is faithful to the GN. There will also be a three hour and ten minute director's cut on DVD which will likely fill out much of the storyline.
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #14
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

I really want to watch this movie even though I didn't read the graphic novel.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
blugill
Feeling at Home

Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Ok, if you are planning on seeing the movie, you will do yourself a massive favor if you first read the GN. It is a great story and has so many layers and such complexity that you will be astounded.
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #16
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

jquirit has disabled reputation

Currently waiting in line for the movie. T minus hour fifteen till it starts.
Posted via Mobile Device
jquirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #17
scoot
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Pat
Trading: (0)
scoot is on a distinguished road

I got back not that long ago, overall it was a terrific, well executed, and faithful translation of the novel. The color and camera work are both spot on. There are points where you catch snapshots that are directly off the pages. That said, I think the change to the end was unnecessary. The new ending worked really well, maybe even better than the original, and didn't really change anything as far as the resolution of the story, but I would have rather seen it the way Moore had written it. Other than that there were a few things I would have like to see included that weren't but those are just small things like lines that were omitted or small details that were changed.
scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #18
JasonI

Saw it last night and all I can say is WOW. The movie is beautiful, the beginning credits did an amazing job of explain this alternate universe to the people who have not read the GN. There was a large chunk of the movie that you could have turned page by page the GN and matched it up exactly. The cast was very good, when they first announced who was playing Dan/Nighthawk 2 I was worried because he didn't look like the pudgy middle aged whiner that Dan did in the GN but man did he pull it off. Speaking of pulling it off holy crap, Jackie Earle Haley IS Rorschach. He finds a way to take the strange sentence structure that Rorschach used in the GN and make it work in spoken word. He was my favorite character in the GN and he lived up to it on the big screen. For the person who asked about the violence and the T&A your wife would probably walk out of this. This movie is a hard "R". Attempted rape, topless woman, insane violence, full frontal male nudity for large parts of the movie (lol no pun intended). I don't consider this a good one for the younger kids who can normally handle some of the other mild "R" movies.

The only downsides for me was it ran a bit long, or it felt like it at points and the guy who played Nixon was a way over the top characture of him. It made me take the scenes with him and Kissinger a lot less seriously.

The End is Nigh... so go grab your tickets and enjoy.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #19
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Thanks, Jason! I guess this one I'll hafta see with my male buddies, not my wife!
Old 03-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #20
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

The commercials make me want to read the graphic novel. They do not make me want to see the film. The previews look like it's going to be a movie about a bunch of superheroes who whine all the time. Tell me this is not the case.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote