Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 08-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #2821
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Found A New Bourbon At Costco To Try:

Have you cracked it yet, Greg? Curious to hear your thoughts.

Couple bottle kills this weekend.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:03 AM   #2822
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Nice bottles all around! Never tried Longbranch myself but heard it's a solid choice, especially if you can get it for a couple bucks off retail (hopefully Costco helped you there). I've heard it described as "like Wild Turkey's Gentleman's Jack"

Good kills Tom, I haven't been drinking much new recently because I'm trying to work on population control as well, getting close to the point where all bottles under half full are the ones I don't want to kill off, got through about 5 but in that time I acquired more like 10, there's no winning

I did get a fun new set of tasting glasses, washed em but haven't broken them in yet, hopefully I can work some magic tonight
Old 08-03-2021, 12:00 PM   #2823
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Nice bottles all around! Never tried Longbranch myself but heard it's a solid choice, especially if you can get it for a couple bucks off retail (hopefully Costco helped you there). I've heard it described as "like Wild Turkey's Gentleman's Jack"

Good kills Tom, I haven't been drinking much new recently because I'm trying to work on population control as well, getting close to the point where all bottles under half full are the ones I don't want to kill off, got through about 5 but in that time I acquired more like 10, there's no winning

I did get a fun new set of tasting glasses, washed em but haven't broken them in yet, hopefully I can work some magic tonight
Exactly What The Costco Salesman Said, Ben!. Admiral: It's Best Neat; I Could Really Taste A Little Mesquite (Love This!), Vanilla, & Caramel. When Mixed With Ice, It Definitely Diluted The Flavors. I Think The Price Was Around $40 With Tax. Less Than 100 Proof, So Probably Not You Two Inmates Favorite, But Definitely A Good Sipper! You Should Try It!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:05 PM   #2824
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Great price! Glad you like it

Don't rule out Tom, he posted a picture of himself drinking <89 proof just last week elsewhere in this forum
Old 08-03-2021, 03:31 PM   #2825
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I need that Hancock in barrel stength, Ben!

Glad you liked the Longbranch, Greg, thatnks to you and Ben for some insight.

I am going to throw out all my empties from the beginning of the pandemic, I should take a picture first.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 08-03-2021, 03:42 PM   #2826
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

You have room for empties? You need more fulls
Old 08-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #2827
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Longbranch to me was a bourbon's attempt to get to a Scotch-like peat like taste. For me it didn't overpower and was a unique and interesting bourbon. Not a large mover around here so we can often find it for under $40.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #2828
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
You have room for empties? You need more fulls
I absolutely don't, and I'll absolutely buy more.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:14 AM   #2829
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
Longbranch to me was a bourbon's attempt to get to a Scotch-like peat like taste. For me it didn't overpower and was a unique and interesting bourbon. Not a large mover around here so we can often find it for under $40.
Do You Drink It Neat, Jay?
Old 08-04-2021, 09:48 AM   #2830
jledou
Have My Own Room

Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

I do Greg.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #2831
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
I do Greg.
Amazing How The Flavor Profile Diminishes With Added Ice. I Still Like It Cold, Though, & The Whiskey Rocks Don't Seem To Do The Trick.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #2832
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Quote:
Amazing How The Flavor Profile Diminishes With Added Ice. I Still Like It Cold, Though, & The Whiskey Rocks Don't Seem To Do The Trick.
I use to add a few drops of cold water into my Scotch and maybe a small piece of crushed ice in my bourbon.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #2833
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbailey View Post
I use to add a few drops of cold water into my Scotch and maybe a small piece of crushed ice in my bourbon.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:34 PM   #2834
jledou
Have My Own Room

Punch

Quote:
I was the same way, ice and let it melt down. Then slowly it was put the ice in and let it cool, drink it before the ice really melted. Then it moved to less ice, maybe a cube and slowly it became neat. The thing that also helped me transition was smaller and smaller sips. The flavor is still there but the breath taking burn was not.

And then Tom and Ben get you interested in barrel proof and
Old 08-05-2021, 06:51 AM   #2835
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
I was the same way, ice and let it melt down. Then slowly it was put the ice in and let it cool, drink it before the ice really melted. Then it moved to less ice, maybe a cube and slowly it became neat. The thing that also helped me transition was smaller and smaller sips. The flavor is still there but the breath taking burn was not.

Definitely! Bookers Was Strong, But Smooth!
Old 08-05-2021, 01:32 PM   #2836
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:

Some SiB Knob Creek Rye last night. I really prefer the Cask Strength Rye they release every year over this single barrel. I have another single barrel I'll try after this is done, and if it's the same, I'll only buy the CS Rye if I buy any at all.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:33 AM   #2837
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I finally cracked open the Nulu last night. I really enjoy it...at it's price point. Any higher and I'd look for other drinks.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:35 AM   #2838
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I just enjoy this more and more as time goes by. If Binny's does another barrel pick I will pick up another.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #2839
Mikepd
I Miss Pnoon

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
RA
Mikepd has disabled reputation

Anyone have any input on Bookers 2019-04 ‘Beaten Biscuits’? I’ve heard it compared to a cinnamon bomb but was wondering if anyone here has tried it? I got an offer for a bottle but wasn’t sure if it’s worth picking up.
Mikepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:26 AM   #2840
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikepd View Post
Anyone have any input on Bookers 2019-04 ‘Beaten Biscuits’? I’ve heard it compared to a cinnamon bomb but was wondering if anyone here has tried it? I got an offer for a bottle but wasn’t sure if it’s worth picking up.

2019 was a good year for Booker's, and I dig the Biscuits. I would definitely put a few drops of water in, it really brings out the flavors in Booker's batches. But if you can get it close to MSRP, I definitely would (and have).