Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
hoax

Default I went trap shooting for the first time...

I seriously can not believe I waited this long to go trap shooting. Two friends and I whom had also never been trap shooting all decided to hit the range and give it a try. I brought my Mossberg pump with a 20 inch barrel that we all shared. Probably not the most ideal firearm but it worked well enough for us. We all absolutely loved it and we are going back next month with a whole lot more ammo and clays.

Anyone else trap shoot? Any suggestions for someone new to the sport?
Old 12-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Ace$nyper

Default Re: I went trap shooting for the first time...

Trap is a great sport.

I've not been in a year or so.

Yea a 20 inch barrel is rather short to trap, but not impossible at all. I can't really say much as far as advice other then have fun.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
kdog

Man,
You gotta try sporting clays. It's different than trap shos. It's like golf. You go to maybe 10 to 12 different stands in the woods and each shot is a different presentation. Ride in a golf cart and shoot 100 rounds per game. Here in South Carolina it's pretty big. Check out www.harrissprings.com, thats where we go. totally cigar friendly and less expensive than golf. I use a 12 gauge Beretta Urika, or a Benelli over under. Blow stuff up and Smoke good Sticks. Have fun
Old 12-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
FullBodied

Trap is fun, Sporting Clays is more fun. If you want to shoot something that'll hook you for life, try Skeet. I favor Browning Citori's Skeet Grade but that's jsut my pick. When you start crushing 'em with a 12 ga, try a 28 and then 410. Happy clay busting!
Old 12-23-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

I used to go trap shooting till I tried skeet. I love shooting clays. I used to go skeet shooting every weekend at Lake Merced till I moved to SJ.
If you like trap you need to try skeet. Its not as easy as trap though.

Like the other guys said, you should try sporting clays. Sporting clays is the golf of clay shooting and it is not easy, but tons of fun. Golf cart with a cigar and shotgun is tons of fun. The stations with the rabbit is the best. You will need to add about 8" to your barrel and get some chokes though.

Heres a place you can do all that.

http://coyoteclays.com/
Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

Went for the first time last month with TripleF, the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Awesome time. We are going again with a few others the Saturday after Christmas. My nephew, TripleF's Step-son who is going back to Iraq for the 4th time next month, will be with us also. Can't wait.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
dccraft

I just love trap shooting. I actually like it more than skeet. It can be very humbling.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
kdog

definately try it with a remington 1100 28 gauge. Gotta get some chokes though
Old 12-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

32" or 34 ich barrel is what I use. The sport is another slope that can get out of control real quickly. Pm me if you got any ?'s
Old 12-24-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
hoax

Next month when I go again I'll be dragging along Mean Darrell and BORIStheBLADE. Should be fun.

This time I'll bring a camera.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax View Post
I seriously can not believe I waited this long to go trap shooting. Two friends and I whom had also never been trap shooting all decided to hit the range and give it a try. I brought my Mossberg pump with a 20 inch barrel that we all shared. Probably not the most ideal firearm but it worked well enough for us. We all absolutely loved it and we are going back next month with a whole lot more ammo and clays.

Anyone else trap shoot? Any suggestions for someone new to the sport?
Was this an actual club, with a properly designed trap field, or was this just a make-shift fun trap shoot set up? I am asking, because I have never been to a club where you have to bring your own clays.

I have shot both skeet and trap for many years. I was a member of the Lincoln Park Skeet & Trap Club, in Chicago for about 15 years, back in the late 70s & all thru the 80s. I really love them both, IMHO trap is far more difficult than skeet. Skeet is shot from a specific distance from the houses, in a circular pattern and it never changes. The lines of flight of the clays ,from both houses never changes either. Once you understand all of that, it becomes very easy to score in the 90s. However, it is difficult to score 100! I cannot even recall how many times I scored a 99, after missing the first clay out! The first clay out, was my nemesis.

Trap is much more difficult, as you are shooting from a minimum of 16 yards behind the trap house, to a maximum of 27 yards behind the trap house, also in a circular pattern, and the clay can come out of the trap house, from any angle of between 110 degrees to 170 degrees.

I always used a Remington 1100, one with a trap stock and a 30" full choke barrel (for trap), and the other, with a skeet stock and a 26" open-modified barrel.

If you were using a 20" barrel, as you stated, and were shooting from the proper positions, a minimum of 16 yards behind the trap house or release, I am very surprised that you guys hit anything. If and when you did, it must have been exciting!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #12
hoax

This was at a rifle and pistol range. They do have a small Skeet area and about 10 manual trap thrower machine things. You pay $15 to get in for the day. The Skeet costs more money to use but you can use the manual trap machines as much as you want. You bring your own clays or you can buy it there, box of 135 for $16.

http://www.losaltosrodandgunclub.com/
Old 12-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Do you have to have a shotgun to do this or can you rent? Sounds fun.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax View Post
This was at a rifle and pistol range. They do have a small Skeet area and about 10 manual trap thrower machine things. You pay $15 to get in for the day. The Skeet costs more money to use but you can use the manual trap machines as much as you want. You bring your own clays or you can buy it there, box of 135 for $16.

http://www.losaltosrodandgunclub.com/
Now I understand. I was confused when I was thinking you were shooting trap on a regulation trap field.

It looks like a nice place. Fun shooting is the way to go! It's less expensive and it's fun!!! Shooting skeet and/or trap according to Hoyle, can be expensive, and very frustrating. Of course it gets to be fun, when you get good at it!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #15
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBI_2 View Post
Went for the first time last month with TripleF, the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Awesome time. We are going again with a few others the Saturday after Christmas. My nephew, TripleF's Step-son who is going back to Iraq for the 4th time next month, will be with us also. Can't wait.
That's it in a nut shell.

Hadn't shot a shotgun since 1981.....and I'm with you bro....Where has shooting been all my life.

Can't wait til this coming Saturday.

Sorry, don't have any tips for the newbie, cuz I'm more newbie-er.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote