Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #41
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New spin on a 'Car' thread

Fun game

1976 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. Not mine (my dad's) but the car I learned to drive in. Really wish we still had it, probably worth some money now.
1988 Jeep Cherokee. Got it from my parents with 120k, gave it back with 180k. Best car I ever had. Went to my stepbrother who put another 30k on it.
1986 Mercedes 190e. Got it from my parents with 240k, gave it back with 285k and they traded it in on a new car for my mom. It was on it's third transmission and second engine. From what I hear it's still running.
2001 Acura CL. Tranny went with 30k on it. Nice car but the motor was too powerful for the transmission.
2001 Jeep Cherokee. Drove this almost all the way across the united states (Philly to Phoenix). Totaled in a very minor accident (according to the insurance) co (bent frame) but I think someone at the body shop wanted it so they trumped it up.
2001 Subaru Outback. Had this until we traded it in on the new Forester. Great car.
2008 Dodge Caliber. Sold this when we went down to one car a few years back.
2012 Subaru Forester. First brand new car that I or my wife have ever had (6 miles on OD when we got it). My wife's daily driver.
1991 Honda Civic EX. My run around city car. Mostly sits but it always starts right up and goes. 3 more years and this baby is a classic!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #42
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

OH, I forgot. In between the the 86 Mercedes and the 01 Acura I had the venerable 1997 Ford Explorer (a/k/a Exploder). Yeah the one with like 20 recalls. Traded in on the Acura.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #43
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

1987 Dodge Dakota-first one. Saw it in my old home town last time I was there, about 6 months ago. Still had my fraternity sticker I put on it.
1992 Jeep Cherokee. Rolled it after I hit a patch of black ice south of Austin.
1996 Dodge Ram 1500. Drove that until three years ago. Put almost 200K on that thing.
2009 Jeep Liberty. Going to drive that until SWMBO realizes I'll need a truck.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #44
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

1985 Ford Tempo. I used to take it out when my parents weren't home to teach myself how to drive stick.

1983 Chevrolet S-10. I went through about 4 transmissions in that thing.
1996 Saturn SC1. piece of crap. had it for maybe 6 months.
1999 Ford Ranger. Loved that truck. I had it for about 5 years and then had to sell it when I bought my 4x4 truck.
1991 Ford F-150. Beater truck. bought it for $500 and sold it for $500 about a year later
2004 Ford F-150. Great truck. Love it to death. 4x4, 33inch mud tires, flowmaster exhaust.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #45
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post

2001 Jeep Cherokee. Drove this almost all the way across the united states (Philly to Phoenix). Totaled in a very minor accident (according to the insurance) co (bent frame) but I think someone at the body shop wanted it so they trumped it up.
2001 Subaru Outback. Had this until we traded it in on the new Forester. Great car.

2012 Subaru Forester. First brand new car that I or my wife have ever had (6 miles on OD when we got it). My wife's daily driver.

Those Cherokees are nearly unbreakable IF you maintain them properly. Transmission fluid every 30k, oil every 3k. Mine was awesome. I wish like hell I never traded it.

As I noted in the lead post for the thread, I just bought my wife a 2013 Outback 3.6R, pretty well loaded out. Never had a Subie, but I understand there is a cult following and most people refuse to drive anything else. I am happy to be in the club....
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #46
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
Wow... this got me thinking...
I've had soooo many over the years, I used to buy and sell fixer uppers all through high school.
I guess my list is...
--a lot of stuff truncated here----
I'm sure there are more in the Galaxie to Cuda era as that was when I was flipping cars on a regular basis.
The shortest duration I owned a car was that Galaxie... bought and sold the same afternoon.
I think you win, so far....
Old 07-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #47
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road

Very cool

1983 vw GTI, very fun car
1987 Toyota supra
1986 jeep cj7
1994 Porsche 968 cabriolet (worlds largest 4 cylinder)
2004 Toyota matrix xrs
2001 Porsche 911, C4 cabriolet (very nice ride, wife loved this one)
2006 Honda odyssey (wife's ride)- still got the soccer mom van
2008 corvette (stupid fun)- still have
2010 jeep wrangler unlimited 4dr (35" tires, lift, summer toy)- still have

Wow, I think I need to own more cars... Time to upgrade...
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #48
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Those Cherokees are nearly unbreakable IF you maintain them properly. Transmission fluid every 30k, oil every 3k. Mine was awesome. I wish like hell I never traded it.

As I noted in the lead post for the thread, I just bought my wife a 2013 Outback 3.6R, pretty well loaded out. Never had a Subie, but I understand there is a cult following and most people refuse to drive anything else. I am happy to be in the club....
Yeah, while I loved my first Jeep mostly because it was the first car that was all MINE and I loved my second Jeep...its fairly likely that I will never buy anything but a Subaru again. We got a 2.5x Premium. We drove the Jeep Compass and it wasn't even in the same ballpark as the Forester. I was a little worried about the 4 cyl and power/pickup but it's great. Faster off the line and passing than our old Outback which was the 3.0 H6. The turbo would have been cool but it's another 5 grand and you have to put premium in it, change the oil every 2500 instead of 7500, added maintenance...just made more sense for us. Like I said, it's plenty fast.

Subarus aren't the flashiest cars and don't have the fanciest bells and whistles but the symmetrical AWD system is the best on the market and they are an excellent value at least in the forester and outback lines. I'll take a boxer engine and the SAWD system over any fancy toys out there. Driving a Subaru in the rain is an experience, I've never felt safer on a wet road in any other car.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #49
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

The cargo room sold me on the outback. a hair of 7ft deep with the seats down. We go the new Special Appearance package in Brilliant Brown Pearl, which is only being made through the end of August.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #50
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:

Subarus aren't the flashiest cars and don't have the fanciest bells and whistles but the symmetrical AWD system is the best on the market and they are an excellent value at least in the forester and outback lines. I'll take a boxer engine and the SAWD system over any fancy toys out there. Driving a Subaru in the rain is an experience, I've never felt safer on a wet road in any other car.
This is true too. I could get well into an Acura RDX for what I paid. The OB was just better all around for us. Hell, the baby set BARELY fit in the RDX.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #51
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

1971 - 1963 Plymouth Valiant
1975 - 1971 Honda 350 (Motorcycle)
1977 - 1973 Plymouth Duster
1981 Toyota Starlet
1981 - 1994 Chevrolet Ventura (Wife's car when we were married)
1983 Toyota Camry
1983 Toyota Celica (Wife's car)
1985 Toyota Forerunner
1988 Ford Ranger
1990 Toyota Corolla FX 16 GT-S (Wife's car)
1992 - 1987 Toyota Camry
1994 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's car)
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2003 Toyota Highlander (still own)
2004 MINI Cooper (Wife's car; now belongs to son)
2005 MINI Cooper S Convertible (sold in 2011)
2006 MINI Cooper S Custom Painted Pink (Wife's current car)

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #52
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Geez, thank Goodness this is not a photo thread. i am shocked that outside my GTO, I have no pictures of my vehicles.
How strange.

Murray Wildcat with Banana Seat
Schwinn Super LeTour "english racer"
1975 Datsun 510
1966 Pontiac GTO
1980 Ford F-150
1983 Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel
1995 Ford F-150
2005 Chevy Colorado
2011 Chevy Cruze
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #53
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Lots of Datsuns in here....
Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #54
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Dude, you could get one for about 32oo bucks brand new back in the 70s!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #55
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
1977 - Plymouth Volare

Ron
Not sure there was EVER a worse car made, despite all the legenday ones.
Remember taking a 90 degree turn and the rear end coming out from under you ALL THE TIME?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #56
jovenhut
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (64)
jovenhut will become famous soon enough

62 Chevy Impala
62 Chevy Impala
78 Chevy Impala
72 Pinto
83 Honda
66 Volkswagen Bus
72 Volkswagon Bug
78 Buick Cutlass
71 Lincoln Continental - Suicide Doors
72 Chevy Impala Glass House
99 Ford F-150
99 Plymouth Voyager Van
01 Ford Expedition
Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #57
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

Quote:

I remember when I first got my Impreza in 2010. the first winter I had a chance to see what it would do. We had a good combination of snow and ice. I was out on every road possible...up hills and down hills. I had every light on the dash flashing....anti lock brakes and traction control...ect, and it looked like Christmas in front of my eyes, but the Subaru took it all in stride as if it were July. True, they aren't flashy, but when the going gets tough, they shine. The perfect winter car.

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #58
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
That surprised me too, mine was the biggest POS in my high school parking lot, but it was mine
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #59
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB996 View Post
1994 Porsche 968 cabriolet (worlds largest 4 cylinder)
One of my favorite Porsche. They really nailed the design and construction on this model. I was going to buy one off a friend about 5 years ago, but just lost my job and did not want an additional car payment while I was looking for work. In retrospect, I should've bought it as I was out of work just 1.5 months.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #60
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
1971 Dodge Van - first car, was bought new by parents.
1976 Cadilac Coupe d'Ville - given by grandparents. on its last legs when I got it
1984 Mercury Topaz - brown and matched our golden retriever. another car ready for grave when I got it.
1985 Maserati Biturbo E - mechanic made a lot of money on this one.
1980 Mercedes 300D - check magnet, got laid a lot in this car.
1985 Toyota Celica ST - had for many years. incredibly strong and reliable car.
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon - first new car I ever bought. fun, but kind of soft suspension
2003 Honda S2000 - precision at its best. should have kept it after the lease.
2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas - wonderful car, but too big for me. land yacht that got many thumbs up
2007 Jaguar XK Coupe - current car.
How could I forget my 1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6. What a lovely "man's car". No power steering, just about had flame shooting out the back and could wake up a 1/4 mile radius.