Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #361
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Todd
Trading: (2)
chachee52 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Thought this was going to be the answer but thought I'd ask the people that have been doing it for years.
Thanks guys!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #362
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Damn now that It's mentioned my batteries in my current hygro are a good 6 months - 8 months old. Thanks for the reminder
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #363
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

So today I was talking to a worker at the B&M and we were talking about what I kept my humidity at and I told him i am usually between 62 and 65 and he wondered why so low he told me some wrappers split and crack at that humidity but I have yet had a problem. He suggested near the 70 marker but yet I could swear on here between 63 and 65 was good.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #364
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
So today I was talking to a worker at the B&M and we were talking about what I kept my humidity at and I told him i am usually between 62 and 65 and he wondered why so low he told me some wrappers split and crack at that humidity but I have yet had a problem. He suggested near the 70 marker but yet I could swear on here between 63 and 65 was good.
Ever smoke a cigar out of a B&M humidor? They go out on you AT LEAST twice. High RH does that. Also they get so spongy you almost cannot smoke them below say 35%.

Most workers in B&M's really have no clue. I hate to say it but they really don't know much more then they are told.

B&M shops have to keep their humidors up at 70-73 RH to make up for all the traffic they get. Opening the door a lot and whatnot. I'm still convinced they could drop the RH to 68 and things would work out much better for everyone. But that's just my guess.

The few cigars I've smoked out of the Humidor at work always go out on me A LOT. The ones I bring from home usually never go out on me. Unless of course I leave them for a few minutes. Much easier to nub my own sticks or at least smoke them down to the band.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #365
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
I Agree, Corey! I've Tried Every RH From 60-70 & 63-65 Works For Me. I Smoked Several Sticks Lately @ 67 RH & They Were Harsh & Went Out.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #366
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
he told me some wrappers split and crack at that humidity.
See my concern was more this part.. I have around only 300 cigars in my coolidors and desktop and would hate lose even 1 due to improper storage. Going out part isn't an issue when I have a lighter in my hands or pocket hehe.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:07 AM   #367
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
See my concern was more this part.. I have around only 300 cigars in my coolidors and desktop and would hate lose even 1 due to improper storage. Going out part isn't an issue when I have a lighter in my hands or pocket hehe.
I'm by no means an expert, but I keep mine usually in the low 60% range and never have had a splitting problem. I will say that mine used to split when I went for walks in the winter with a cigar. Recently, now that I have proper storage and humidity, this has not been an issue. I used to use just a traveldor which I'm sure was very low humidity and got a ton of splitting, but like I said, it was only when I went out and walked in the winter.
just my experience so far.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #368
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
I'm by no means an expert, but I keep mine usually in the low 60% range and never have had a splitting problem.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #369
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure this has been discussed plenty, but I couldn't find an answer with my searching, so I guess I'll ask here:

Would a cigar box work as a humidor if I put some beads in it or something? I know many boxes wouldn't, but I have a Cohiba Supremo box that seems to seal pretty tight, and I never have more than 10 at a time really, and don't plan to have more than that for a long time. Money won't allow it. This will be temporary as I plan to build a humidor when I get the time and money (I'd rather build to my liking than buy). I have a few very nice cigars I want to take care of without buying a humidor just yet, if feasible. I've been doing the humidipak thing in a ziplock bag, in a box. Thanks for any help.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #370
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

I would say just get a 15 count traveldor instead of a cigar box. Toss a tube of beads in it and call it even.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #371
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODLS1 View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed plenty, but I couldn't find an answer with my searching, so I guess I'll ask here:

Would a cigar box work as a humidor if I put some beads in it or something? I know many boxes wouldn't, but I have a Cohiba Supremo box that seems to seal pretty tight, and I never have more than 10 at a time really, and don't plan to have more than that for a long time. Money won't allow it. This will be temporary as I plan to build a humidor when I get the time and money (I'd rather build to my liking than buy). I have a few very nice cigars I want to take care of without buying a humidor just yet, if feasible. I've been doing the humidipak thing in a ziplock bag, in a box. Thanks for any help.
Tupperware is your friend. If you cant dig one out of the cupboard, Target has some nice small boxes from Sterlite with snap closures. You can find them with the ziploc stuff in the grocery section for under $10.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #372
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Hmm, I may go one of those routes then. I figured keeping them in cedar was ideal.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #373
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODLS1 View Post
Hmm, I may go one of those routes then. I figured keeping them in cedar was ideal.
You can always throw in a sheet of cedar from a box. If you dont have one you can probably pick one up at your local shop for free. Cedar just adds a nice smell but is not totally necessary.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:30 AM   #374
chachee52
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I would say just get a 15 count traveldor instead of a cigar box. Toss a tube of beads in it and call it even.
This is what I did for about a year or two. Now I have it to bring around with me now that I have a collection of cigars. It's not like it will ever go unused.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #375
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
In addition to Bill's excellent comments, I have noticed draw problems and a sour taste from cigars kept at 70 or higher. The only problem that I have had with cracking wrappers is when our New England climate is too cold.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #376
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
You can always throw in a sheet of cedar from a box. If you dont have one you can probably pick one up at your local shop for free. Cedar just adds a nice smell but is not totally necessary.
Ah, I see, thanks. Yea that box actually has a nice sheet in it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
This is what I did for about a year or two. Now I have it to bring around with me now that I have a collection of cigars. It's not like it will ever go unused.
While it's more than some tupperware, I may go this route for the same reasoning. It would be nice to have to take on vacations and different places in general.

Thanks for the help. I'm obviously on a budget and can only smoke here and there, but I have an Opus X, ESG, and Fuente Anejo that I want to save for a good occasion and take good care of in the mean time.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #377
smokepuff

I'm on a budget at the moment an is trying to go the cheapest route possible until I can afford a large enough humidor. I'd hate to spend money on the smaller ones just my

At the moment I using a large Tupperware container with 35mm film canister with lots of pin holes. I inserted a clean sponge that I dampen with distilled water as my make shift humidifier. I was wondering would this work also I'm using this to monitor the humidity and temperature inside the box.

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #378
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Patrick, if it works, go for it. Personally, I'd grab a few Boveda packs or water pillows and ditch the film canister.

At the end of the day, if your hygrometer is accurate and your cigars smoke the way you like, you're in good shape.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #379
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The Hygrometer is probably OK -- have you tried testing it to see how accurate it is?

I think tupperware is great for cigars, but the damp-sponge-in-a-35mm-container makes me cringe... You would be better off with beads (any sort) or a Boveda pack. The sponge will only release moisture until the container is saturated. It will not regulate RH. This is critical in a tightly sealed container like tupperware.

You can get beads or a Boveda pack at very reasonable prices...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #380
smokepuff

Thanks for your thoughts, No I have tried testing it to see how accurate it is, I just assumed it was accurate enough. And I am going to add some beads to the equation ASAP.