Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default nog live the king my style is jalapeño

Yes, the title above the review is the name of the cigar. I do like creativity but this is plain insane, it’s just taking it to far, not one step but a couple of yards and if the name of the cigar was reflected in the score you could stop reading right now but Robert Caldwell is lucky I’m not judging on the name of the cigar. What’s wrong with just “Long live the king lancero”? Geez! What I do like, and credit Caldwell for, is that he’s completely open about the blend, on the Caldwell Cigars website you can even see the percentage of certain tobaccos in the filler, so I know that this 7 1/4×40 lancero is made from 40% Nicaraguan Habano Ligero, 10% of Peruvian Pelo de Oro visa and 50% Dominican ligero corojo wrapped in a Dominican corojo binder from 2009 and a Dominican corona wrapper from 2008.

Now this Long Live the King, I saw pictures on Facebook and instagram, I hear good things about it but I have not smoked one yet. The only Caldwell cigar I smoked so far was the Eastern Standard Cakewalk (another crazy name, for someone who doesn’t know the cigars, how could he figure out that I’m talking about a torpedo?) and I didn’t care much for it, mostly because of the Connecticut share wrapper. I only smoked it because Robert Caldwell said “no, its a hybrid, completely different than other Connecticut shade wrappers” and that should have been a warning, I heard that from other cigar manufacturers too and still hated the cigars anyway. So this Long Live the King, I’m going in blank, like I said, I hear good stuff but haven’t read a full review so I’m pretty clueless on what to expect.

When I take the cigar out of the cellophane I notice a tiny pig tail on the cap of this dark and oily wrapper that looks very smooth and tasty, only on the backside I see a vein. The construction feels flawless, quite firm though, but consistently firm. The ring is beautiful, beige colored with burgundy edges and golden lining. The ring has a picture of a teenage boy with a golden crown on his head, but the crown is a couple of sizes to big so you can’t see the boys eyes or above. On the side, in black curly letters, the words ‘long live the king’ are written. As for the aroma, its strong and it reminds me of a hike through a forrest in the spring, horses and spices at the same time. This is one of the most unusual but amazing smelling cigars I have ever smelled.

I cut the cigar since punching isn’t an option. The cold draw is great and I taste a mixture of pepper, toast, raisin and vanilla. I lit the cigar with a soft flame. I taste coffee, hazelnut and a little lime. After a few puffs I also taste some five spice. After an inch the coffee is gone, I taste cedar with spices, pepper and some lime. After a thirds I taste toast with cinnamon and nuts. Close to the middle of the cigar I taste some pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, cedar, toast and a little metallic flavor with a hint of vanilla. After two thirds our only a little cedar and spices with a lot of pepper.

The draw is great. The smoke is quite thick and medium full in amount. The burn is a little off but not too much to complain about. The layered ash is light colored and bends to the left. It’s not firm though. The evolution is great, just like you’d expect from a thin cigar like this lancero. The cigar is medium plus bodied and full of flavor. The smoke time is an hour and a half.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes I will, even though the cigar has way less pepper than the name would suggest.

Score: 93

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...e-is-jalapeno/