Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light
Default Looking for rifle suggestions.

Looking a larger caliber hunting rifle, say 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. something good for a long distance hunt, 500-600yds. assume ammo and will be appropriate for the distance. I've looked at Remington 700's, browning x and a bolts, tikka t3 hunter. I'll be putting a muzzle break in. so looking for a smooth bolt, accurate, durable, dependable, 26" barrel, and not that concerned with stock.(wood or composite is fine) just not seeing anything that jumps out at me, and they all look the same at this point. am I missing something? any recommendations from experience? any info is appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 09-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Looking for rifle suggestions.

I have no idea what to suggest. All of my rifles are pretty old. I do however love my .338 falling block. It is single shot so might not fit your requirements, but it is definitely different...

Old 09-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

might want to check into Weatherby Vanguard line. Good rifles I have 22-250 that is a great shotting rifle. Or if you want to spend a bit more the Mark VI are nice to.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

How about a BFG-9000?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
How about a BFG-9000?
love that game
Old 09-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to be shooting in the woods, brush, or in the fields?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Go big or go home!

bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
rharris
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (48)
rharris will become famous soon enough

C.Z. Safari or american. Nicest rifles for the price on the market.
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

I love my Remington 7MM Mag. Great rifle.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Go big or go home!

if I could afford the Barrett bmg I'd be posting pics of me smoking mojotos and Dom perignons mowing the yard. it's a beautiful gun, and I would love to blow a 8" exit wound out of an elk or grizzle at 1000 yards but way too much $$$$$,
Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Go big or go home!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Barcode
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tom
Trading: (16)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
Barcode will become famous soon enough

Look at the Savage Arms Line
Barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
designwise1

I'd recommend a 280 over a 7mm Mag. It's just more versatile.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:33 AM   #14
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

guess I should include that I already have a 308 win, so I would want to go smaller then that.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:06 AM   #15
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Nick
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Newbie_nick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcode View Post
Look at the Savage Arms Line
2nd that... They provide a great rifle for the $$$. I bought an off-the-shelf Savage in .308, and it shoots nearly 1/2" groups at 100 yards with decent ammo.
Newbie_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:07 AM   #16
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Nick
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Newbie_nick will become famous soon enough

Sorry...2nd post....

What are you looking to do with this rifle? What are you looking to hunt with it? That will help the caliber discussion.
Newbie_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 AM   #17
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie_nick View Post
Sorry...2nd post....

What are you looking to do with this rifle? What are you looking to hunt with it? That will help the caliber discussion.
long distance hunting/shooting. elk, mule deer, big horn sheep. probably not big enough caliber for bear or moose but shot placement could compensate for that.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:08 AM   #18
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrplasencia View Post
long distance hunting/shooting. elk, mule deer, big horn sheep. probably not big enough caliber for bear or moose but shot placement could compensate for that.
You're asking the classic sitting around the camp fire, "what rifle do I need to kill everything in N. America question?".

ALL modern 6.5mm/7mm/.30 cal cartridges will shoot accurately at those distances.

I DON'T ADVISE you shoot game at these distances unless you really know what you're doing. You're going to waste a ton of money on guided trips with no luck. Most guides will not let you shoot at game at those distances unless they really know that you're capable of doing so. If you wound the animal and loose it, it's as good as if you bagged it as far as payment is concerned. (hunting advise portion of post over)

I suggest you get a 30 caliber rifle in a <24" barrel (NO muzzle break) and try to keep the weight to under 9 lbs with a high quality 1x-4x or 3x-9x scope (NO massive 50+mm front bell or 9x+ zoom). I routinely shoot 600 yds at 6" gongs with 4x scope. Please don't mess up a beautiful sleek light rifle with a honking massive scope on it.

The reason for a 30 cal is that there are a large amount of bullet weights to choose from and elk will more reliable go down and stay down, at those distances, with 30 cal (imho). I also give you options for African plains game, black bear and moose.

I'd take (in order)

1. 300 WSM - because of overall versatility and short action (rifle weight)

2. 30.06 - this really is a great round and ammo is everywhere and cheap
3. .308 - see 300 WSM and have less recoil
4. 280 Rem - my favorite light 7mm
5. 270 Win - this has to be on the list, but it's not 'really' and elk cartridge. (although it will do it)
6. 7mm Mauser - deer/sheep/goat...DEAD and has very light recoil + can be put into a light rifle.
7. 7-08 - see 7 mm Mauser but not a 'sexy'

All of the above will kill elk (the largest of what you listed) and for that matter would kill a moose with a well placed shot and good bullet. If you're really not going to go elk hunting and this is just the "hunting dream rifle" (nothing wrong with that) then I'd go lighter with less recoil and get a light 7mm Mauser/280/7-08.

As far as "what rifle?". I'd get a stainless steel, composite 'what ever' you're able to cheek up and have a good locked in feel in the off hand and for-end rested standing rest positions. All the major manufactures standard-to-top end rifles will have smooth actions and quality builds. SAKO and Tikka are great. Browning is overprices (imho). Win Model 70 and Rem 700 are standards. Savage makes a nice price point product. Weatherby Vanguard is nice as well. Really it's a matter of what 'feels' right for you.

Good luck, this is a rabbit hole and you're about to go down it.

Last edited by 0002S; 09-08-2011 at 06:16 AM.
0002S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #19
BC-Axeman

I like Shawn's advice. I think I would switch the .308 and the 300 WSM because cost of ammo, but that's because I'm cheap.

I would add that you should shoulder, cycle and dry fire the rifles. Try standing and holding aim for a while to see how it handles. I've shot some rifles that were very accurate but had clumsy actions or clunky triggers or were uncomfortable to hold, or all the above. My Rem 700 has none of those problems.

QFT (100-300 yd N.A. hunting rifle):
"I suggest you get a 30 caliber rifle in a <24" barrel (NO muzzle break) and try to keep the weight to under 9 lbs with a high quality 1x-4x or 3x-9x scope (NO massive 50+mm front bell or 9x+ zoom). I routinely shoot 600 yds at 6" gongs with 4x scope. Please don't mess up a beautiful sleek light rifle with a honking massive scope on it."
Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #20
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
You're asking the classic sitting around the camp fire, "what rifle do I need to kill everything in N. America question?".

ALL modern 6.5mm/7mm/.30 cal cartridges will shoot accurately at those distances.

I DON'T ADVISE you shoot game at these distances unless you really know what you're doing. You're going to waste a ton of money on guided trips with no luck. Most guides will not let you shoot at game at those distances unless they really know that you're capable of doing so. If you wound the animal and loose it, it's as good as if you bagged it as far as payment is concerned. (hunting advise portion of post over)

I suggest you get a 30 caliber rifle in a <24" barrel (NO muzzle break) and try to keep the weight to under 9 lbs with a high quality 1x-4x or 3x-9x scope (NO massive 50+mm front bell or 9x+ zoom). I routinely shoot 600 yds at 6" gongs with 4x scope. Please don't mess up a beautiful sleek light rifle with a honking massive scope on it.

The reason for a 30 cal is that there are a large amount of bullet weights to choose from and elk will more reliable go down and stay down, at those distances, with 30 cal (imho). I also give you options for African plains game, black bear and moose.

I'd take (in order)

1. 300 WSM - because of overall versatility and short action (rifle weight)

2. 30.06 - this really is a great round and ammo is everywhere and cheap
3. .308 - see 300 WSM and have less recoil
4. 280 Rem - my favorite light 7mm
5. 270 Win - this has to be on the list, but it's not 'really' and elk cartridge. (although it will do it)
6. 7mm Mauser - deer/sheep/goat...DEAD and has very light recoil + can be put into a light rifle.
7. 7-08 - see 7 mm Mauser but not a 'sexy'

All of the above will kill elk (the largest of what you listed) and for that matter would kill a moose with a well placed shot and good bullet. If you're really not going to go elk hunting and this is just the "hunting dream rifle" (nothing wrong with that) then I'd go lighter with less recoil and get a light 7mm Mauser/280/7-08.

As far as "what rifle?". I'd get a stainless steel, composite 'what ever' you're able to cheek up and have a good locked in feel in the off hand and for-end rested standing rest positions. All the major manufactures standard-to-top end rifles will have smooth actions and quality builds. SAKO and Tikka are great. Browning is overprices (imho). Win Model 70 and Rem 700 are standards. Savage makes a nice price point product. Weatherby Vanguard is nice as well. Really it's a matter of what 'feels' right for you.

Good luck, this is a rabbit hole and you're about to go down it.

I have a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in 30-06 and I love it. It is one hell of a gun with a super smooth action.
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote