Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #41
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: Maduro Fuente Fuente opus x and opus sharks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbourjay View Post
as i posted earlier if a mod clears it then i will post it. none have spoken and i'm sure at least one of them has read this.
Come on, "you can do it".
Man I love this clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wbSBxTLe40
Old 01-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #42
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
It will be discussed somewhere along the line today.Until then,keeping it to PM is perfectly okay Jeremy.
bump
Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #43
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
bump
bump yourself, you're one of the ones making the decision....or did someone forget.

just having fun Peter, everybody knows you're the awesomeness.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #44
barbourjay

to stop most of the PM's about this, if you only shop in tampa you are fine. this shop isn't in tampa. that still leaves about 50 b&m shops in the area to guess from. if you are from the area i will talk to you about this over PM if need be until instructed further.

i for one will not frequent this dealers stores. i feel that anyone from this area should do the same.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #45
sjnovakovich
Stinky Old Stogie

Trading: (2)
sjnovakovich is on a distinguished road

Pardon my harshness here, but this whole thread reminds me of a bunch of sorority chicks gossiping about who was under the bleachers with whom. This dealer needs to be outed in order to protect others. Let's go mods. Release the name! Just my
sjnovakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #46
barbourjay

Just another followup. Went to the shop to get my money back.
The owner cussed me out banned me from his stores. Just reaffirms to me that he knowingly sold fakes.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #47
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
bump yourself, you're one of the ones making the decision....or did someone forget.

just having fun Peter, everybody knows you're the awesomeness.
No offense taken, Seth. Just wanted to remind everyone that we are discussing it. Practically speaking, it may take a day or two to have more than one or two admins chime in and discuss different sides (perspectives).

For now, Jeremy can decide who he wants to answer via PM.

It's all good (except for the fakes )
Old 01-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #48
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnovakovich View Post
Pardon my harshness here, but this whole thread reminds me of a bunch of sorority chicks gossiping about who was under the bleachers with whom. This dealer needs to be outed in order to protect others. Let's go mods. Release the name! Just my
If it were that simple of a decision, it would have been made immediately. There is more to it than just this issue. It can/will have an impact on how things are handled in the future. Decisions like this are not taken lightly by the TOE. Besides, it is as much an issue for Jeremy to decide if/who he shares it with. We're just deciding if it should be something posted publicly.

I think there is a paralell here with purchasing Habanos. Trust your vendor. Should you really be buying uber premium cigars from a retailer you don't know/trust or haven't been referred to by someone you do trust?

Just my
Old 01-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #49
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
No offense taken, Seth. Just wanted to remind everyone that we are discussing it. Practically speaking, it may take a day or two to have more than one or two admins chime in and discuss different sides (perspectives).

For now, Jeremy can decide who he wants to answer via PM.

It's all good (except for the fakes )
Guess I'm not one, and honestly could give a crap. I pass through the area quite a bit but always have my herfador pretty well packed.
Curiosity killed the cat and that's all most are who are reading this are; curious. I was curious but won't buy into the apparantly self created hype surrounding rare Fuentes.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #50
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
If it were that simple of a decision, it would have been made immediately. There is more to it than just this issue. It can/will have an impact on how things are handled in the future. Decisions like this are not taken lightly by the TOE.

Not to mention that similar "outings" have caused Mob mentalities in sites I have moderated in the past, and sometimes it was found that the OP was the mistaken one, while the retailer was taken to task for something they were falsely accused of (not saying that is the case here at all).

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #51
barbourjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
Guess I'm not one, and honestly could give a crap. I pass through the area quite a bit but always have my herfador pretty well packed.
Curiosity killed the cat and that's all most are who are reading this are; curious. I was curious but won't buy into the apparantly self created hype surrounding rare Fuentes.
i did PM you back =P
Old 01-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #52
Only Fuentes

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Not to mention that similar "outings" have caused Mob mentalities in sites I have moderated in the past, and sometimes it was found that the OP was the mistaken one, while the retailer was taken to task for something they were falsely accused of (not saying that is the case here at all).
I can see how the mob mentality could take over. But it appears as if Jay posted this on multiple forums and has said that Drew Newman himself declared them fakes. Also it seems that a larger than normal amount of maduro opus have been for sale on ebay. This confirmed retailer of fakes could easily sell a fake on ebay and nobody would be any wiser as they sure looked real to me!! Jay has said he'd ge glad to post the name and address of this shop which could at least be a small victory for opus lovers. I mean if I was sold fake opus and had Drew or similar declaring them as such then I would have no hesitation to out the retailer.

Negative feedback is just as important as positive feedback. I mean heck, there are some GREAT retailers here who helped me get some opus at great pricing (including Jay himself). I think this is simply a matter of protecting our own. Then again my opinion is worth about

Last edited by Only Fuentes; 01-06-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #53
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Fuentes View Post
I can see how the mob mentality could take over. But it appears as if Jay posted this on multiple forums and has said that Drew Newman himself declared them fakes. Also it seems that a larger than normal maduro opus have been for sale on ebay. This confirmed retailer of fakes could easily sell a fake on ebay and nobody would be any wiser as they sure looked real to me!! Jay has said he'd ge glad to post the name and address of this shop which could at least be a small victory for opus lovers. I mean if I was sold fake opus and had Drew or similar declaring them as such then I would have no hesittion to out the retailer.

Negative feedback is just as important as positive feedback. I mean heck, there are some GREAT retailers here who helped me get some opus at great pricing (including Jay himself). I think this is simply a matter of protecting our own. Then again my opinion is worth about
Andy, my answer wasn't the definitive one, the TOE are actively discussing the matter...it is a decision we don't take lightly, in part to reasons Peter and I outlined above. I would hope that the inmates who read this thread would be wise and wary enough not to buy any of these cigars on eBay based on what we already know here. There will be plenty of other suckers who don't belong to an on-line cigar board lining up for purchase. And those inmates who don't read the thread wouldn't see the name anyway.

Your points are all well taken, and we will consider them in our discussion.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #54
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

Wow - so did Drew actually visit the store? Did the owner say anything about them stopping by to check out the cigars?
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #55
Only Fuentes

I respect that and am glad to hear that the TOE is taking this seriously.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #56
barbourjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#2 View Post
Wow - so did Drew actually visit the store? Did the owner say anything about them stopping by to check out the cigars?
Well lets put a little perspective here. The newmans are all based out of tampa so when i contacted drew by email he contacted the local rep (i'm assuming they see a lot of each other). the local rep (mike, who i've never met but know because of all the shop owners calling him all the time) went to the shop to investigate. drew then communicated it back to me that they were fake. today i went to the shop and got my money back, while the owner was cussing me out and threw the money back in my face. I did contact mike (the local FN rep) and let him know about my experience. he expressed his disapproval of their behavior but he cannot talk about what their consequences were for them.

this place was an authorized fuente dealer and authorized opus x dealer. since the owner banned me from their stores i won't be able to go in there to find out what happens in the long run. thankfully i'm sure that some of the other people from our area who have already PM'd me about this shop will drop in and check in on them from time to time.

at the very least i hope that the people who were ripped off got their money back.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #57
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

True, but how far down the line does this vendors Faux X supply go?

Some of us buy regular production Opus X cigars from out of state due to the ridiculous taxes incurred when buying locally.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #58
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Trading: (70)
Brooks W has a spectacular aura aboutBrooks W has a spectacular aura about

I am not sure I would believe that a store has an Opus Maduro anyway, never mind 20 of them...there are only like 300 known to exist of each size (as far as I know, and I am obviously talking about the ones that were not sold commercially, like the xXx Maduro)...And they are worth quite a bit more then $25 each...

~brooks
Brooks W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #59
barbourjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks W View Post
And they are worth quite a bit more then $25 each...

~brooks
true but the shops that usually get these kind of things are gifted them and can charge what they feel like. i see where you are coming from. either way these shops need to be reported.

i feel really bad about the guys who were taken by this shop, i was contacted by a few locals who had bought some stuff. i really hope they got their money back.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #60
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Thanks for bringing this fraud to light. I personally do not need the source as I dont buy Opus or Anejo's. But its always good to bring these things out. How a legitimate dealer would feel the need to increase his profit by dealing in counterfeit's is beyond my comprehension.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote