Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #601
TheatyHannington
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
TheatyHannington is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

What is a Danish blend or mixture of Pipe Tobacco?
TheatyHannington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #602
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

A Danish blend of pipe tobacco is used to classify many things, depending on who is using the terms.

However, what "I" have found to be generally true is that a Danish blend is a ribbon cut with a light, sweet, casing.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #603
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

So the wife allows me a certain amount for cigars, she didn't say anything about pipes though. What would be the best way to try out pipe smoking? I just want to give it a shot to see if I enjoy it or not. Picking up a cheap pipe at the store sufficient for that? Or should I buy a decent pipe to start out with so I don't end up not liking it because of a crappy pipe? Also what's a good tobacco to grab for a first try?
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #604
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I'd recommend a corn cob pipe to begin with. Cheap, and gets the job done right.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #605
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I'd recommend a corn cob pipe to begin with. Cheap, and gets the job done right.

Corn Cob pipe and Butternut Burley tobacco from Pipes and cigars.

http://pipesandcigars.com/micocobwast.html

http://pipesandcigars.com/butburbykuro.html
Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #606
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
So the wife allows me a certain amount for cigars, she didn't say anything about pipes though. What would be the best way to try out pipe smoking? I just want to give it a shot to see if I enjoy it or not. Picking up a cheap pipe at the store sufficient for that? Or should I buy a decent pipe to start out with so I don't end up not liking it because of a crappy pipe? Also what's a good tobacco to grab for a first try?
As suggested, a cob is a great way to go, but get rid of the filter insert after the second bowl and don't replace it with anything.

As for tobacco to try? I find that hard to say. Why? Well, I tried burleys - almost never smoked a pipe after that, I don't like burley.

I'd suggest getting a number of different things to try: Aromatic, Burley, full English, light English, Virginia, Virginia with Perique, and an Oriental. You may like all of them. You may like one or two of them. You may like none of them.

My suggestion is to go to the Cornell & Diehl website and look around http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/oldindex.html Then, give them a call and ask to talk to Patty Tarler. Tell her Pastor Jerabek from Embarrass, WI told you to call her - she is knowledgable and will treat you well. C&D is a good place to start because they do a good job. They sell clean tobacco, by that I mean their product comes without a lot of propylene glycol on their tobaccos making them burn clean and easy. They do come a lot "drier" than most other pipe tobaccos, but that isn't a bad thing at all. They will also give you a decent deal on a sampler package and ship it directly to you.

If you want another something to try, ask for a pound of their Hoover Mix - it is $11.50 a pound - and it is nothing more than tobacco that has fallen from their attempts at mixing. I have gotten a pound on a couple of occasions, it is never the same. It is however, a nice change of pace. I have a friend that smokes only that, he said it is like smoking something different everytime he opens up the bag.

Of course, if you'd rather call another shop and ask for some similar treatment, go for it.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #607
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

So I think I've resolved to get a corn cob pipe to start out with, what types of tobacco should I be looking for to start out with? Is there anything else, other than pipe cleaners that I'll need? How often can I smoke out of the same cob pipe, will I be ok at once or twice a week?
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #608
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
So I think I've resolved to get a corn cob pipe to start out with, what types of tobacco should I be looking for to start out with? Is there anything else, other than pipe cleaners that I'll need? How often can I smoke out of the same cob pipe, will I be ok at once or twice a week?
Get yourself a pipe tamper too.

Do you have a tobacconist nearby, one that has someone working there who smokes a pipe? That'd be the best thing. There is something to be said from learning from someone live and in person about how to fill, light, tamp, and smoke a pipe correctly.

I know it may sound silly, but it is true. Yes, I had a friend tell me once that it should be as simple as "stuff the tobacco in one end, apply fire to it, suck on the other end... how hard can it be?"

Every single one of those aspects can make pipe smoking a pleasure or a royal pain in the posterior.

Filling the pipe properly is essential, but there are a number of ways to do it which will work well.
Getting an even burn at the beginning is essential, and here's where a tamper is a must. (a tamper is very cheap, a pipe nail will run about $1 - and a Czech tool about $2 - either works well)
Smoking gently saves your tongue from feeling like you held a blowtorch to it for a half hour.
Pipe cleaners should be by your side while smoking. If you hear a gurgle put a pipe clearner though your pipe (do not take your pipe apart while warm to do this, just run the cleaner through it)

If you really think you'll enjoy smoking, get yourself a cheaper Savinelli, they are great pipes and usually one of the easiest to break in.

If you're only going to smoke once a week, one pipe will do fine. For optimal smoking pleasure, 2 or three days between smoking a pipe is best as it allows the pipe to dry out between smokes. This keeps the pipe smoking fresher. It is for this reason that people have more than one pipe. Those who smoke a few bowls a day will have more pipes than those who smoke a bowl a couple times a week. Or, there are the collectors who buy pipes as art AND for their smoking ability.

Sorry for rambling.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #609
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

+1 to everything Todd said. He knows his stuff!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #610
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
...He's on a mission from God!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #611
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
...He's on a mission from God!
Thanks for the kind words MJ.

Mark, that's funny! Thanks!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #612
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Thanks for the tips as well! I'll let you know how the first step down that slippery slope goes...
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #613
benedic08
Bob's great grandson

First Name: Benedic
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
benedic08 has a spectacular aura aboutbenedic08 has a spectacular aura about

Hey guys, Whats the best way to travel with pipes? I'll be going back to the Philippines three months from now. I have my cigar caddy to carry my cigars. Is there one similar for pipes or are the leather ones sufficient to protect my pipes when i stick them in my luggage?

Thanks
benedic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #614
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedic08 View Post
Hey guys, Whats the best way to travel with pipes? I'll be going back to the Philippines three months from now. I have my cigar caddy to carry my cigars. Is there one similar for pipes or are the leather ones sufficient to protect my pipes when i stick them in my luggage?

Thanks
Yes, there are pipe cases, similar to cigar caddies.

Here's a link to just one place to see some options.

http://store.pipesandcigars.com/tobpouc.html
Old 04-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #615
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

I have two pipes that I recently bought, that I noticed had uniformly green stems. They taste nasty, and I'm not sure if what I have is oxidation or something else...

These are the two in question:

This is the little one up-close. I don't have the big one with me at the moment.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #616
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I have two pipes that I recently bought, that I noticed had uniformly green stems. They taste nasty, and I'm not sure if what I have is oxidation or something else...
What brand of pipe is on top, top photo, EmJay'?

(Yes, they're oxidized; I'll bet they DO taste a little nasty. Welcome to vulcanite-cleaning world.)
Old 04-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #617
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

As a newbie in pipes, I'm looking to get a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman corncob pipe, as recommended in the "How To Start Thread." Is there a smoking difference in bent or straight? Which should I go with to start out?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #618
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:

These are the two in question:

This is the little one up-close. I don't have the big one with me at the moment.

A) Your camera pictures suck. A real camera would give us decent pictures so we can give you decent answers.
B) Yes you have oxidation. To get them clean, the best is to get them buffed out. A real pipe shop should be able to do that for you, or let you to it yourself. If you get to Green Bay, the guy in DePere will do it for you at the shop on the West Side of town.
C) You nasty taste is partly because of the oxidation and partly because of the fact that they are just dirty. They need a total cleaning - at least that is what it appears to me from the cruddy pictures you put up there.

You know I love to yank your chain MJ.

Something that can help, is a lot of elbow grease and a can of briar wipe. Get a handiwipe (it is a kind of cloth you can find in the grocery store). Unfold it and lay it flat on some sort of surface that won't absorb anything - I like a big cookie sheet. As evenly as possible, empty the entire contents of the can of Briar Wipe on the Hand-wipe. Let it dry for about 20 minutes. Now, use the briar wipe on the outside of the pipe, stem, etc... When done, put this cloth in a Ziplock freezer bag and seal. Whenever you need to use it, take it out. Always return it to the freezer bag and seal. This one whip should last you quite a few years, probably until it disintegrates. As my vulcanite stems show some oxidation, some elbow grease and this cloth usually get the best of it - and the formula seems to do a good job of protecting the stem from quickly oxidizing again.

Except for my smart aleck teasing, I hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #619
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320 View Post
As a newbie in pipes, I'm looking to get a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman corncob pipe, as recommended in the "How To Start Thread." Is there a smoking difference in bent or straight? Which should I go with to start out?
A bent pipe may allow moisture to condensce more quickly and may cause a gurgle. Of course, it may not.

Get rid of the filter and keep lots of pipe cleaners on hand. Don't take your pipe apart to use them though. If there is even a slight feel or sound of condensation present, use a pipe cleaner. The steam from that H2O will cause nasty tongue bite.

So, basically go with the one you like. Hey, they're cheap, get one of each and decide which you like better.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #620
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

How do I use the pipe cleaner without taking the pipe apart? just push it in from the hole in the mouthpiece?