Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #41
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Shuriken cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo View Post
I have used one of these cutters for about four months. In hindsight, every cigar cut with a guillotine, a punch, or a v-cut, has been waste.

I cut about three cigars before I got the hang of it. Now, when I pull out a 50 or bigger, I reach for this cutter instead of a guillotine or a punch.

I do not smoke anything under 50 so I cannot tell you how cigars with different cuts compare.

I can taste a difference though. The six slits provide a cooler, more even draw compared to the guillotine. Unlike the punch, I can smoke any 50 or wider cigar down to about a half an inch without losing any taste or suffering tar issues.

Side note: with the six blade cutter or the punch, I have never had a tar problem. I guess I am lucky.

As to the enthusiasts who use Xcto knives, more power to you. My hands are not steady enough nor do have I have the patience to wield such an instrument to cut a cigar. Instead, I will use my six blade cutter to achieve a potentially similar effect.
Is it just me or do these 2 statements contradict each other?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #42
Bad Finger

Um, no.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #43
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
The six slits provide a cooler, more even draw compared to the guillotine.
Impossible. A guillotine provides the most surface area for the smoke to exit and if the cigar draws well, you can't get a "more even draw" than that.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #44
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Ya know, I wonder if you used one of these slicey-dicey cigar shuriken dumawhackies and their "I Draw Technology" for the most uber-bestest draw evar on a Nub, which is ALL sweet spot, you would have so much awesomeness in one place that it would be like an orgasm of cigar goodness. A totally awesome uncontrollable cigargasm.

Last edited by T.G; 07-29-2011 at 07:23 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #45
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

And if you bought that nub at a B&M instead of off the internet...
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #46
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
I'd sure like to try one. I don't think I'd dish out $40 without trying one first though. If I had $100 I'd get one for free from CI right now.
Get it Mario, and if you don't like it you can always use it for that in-home circumcision business you've been looking into
Old 07-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #47
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
And if you bought that nub at a B&M instead of off the internet...

And if it were aged 3 years... *oy*

...OMG... I need a towel...
Old 07-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #48
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Ya know, I wonder if you used one of these slicey-dicey cigar shuriken dumawhackies and their "I Draw Technology" for the most uber-bestest draw evar on a Nub, which is ALL sweet spot, you would have so much awesomeness in one place that it would be like an orgasm of cigar goodness. A totally awesome uncontrollable cigargasm.
Should try it and let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
And if it were aged 3 years... *oy*

...OMG... I need a towel...
Exactly
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #49
Average Joe
Livin' the dream!

First Name: Name
Trading: (10)
Average Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As to the enthusiasts who use Xcto knives, more power to you. My hands are not steady enough nor do have I have the patience to wield such an instrument to cut a cigar. Instead, I will use my six blade cutter to achieve a potentially similar effect.
All you do is cut off the cap. No need to go through the whole cigar. No need to "wield" the monster xacto knife either. Just lightly roll the cigar on the blade and voila. You're in no time.

This cutter actually reminds me of this MadTV Spishak ad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FAP8o5ZEo0
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #50
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
I have used one of these cutters for about four months. In hindsight, every cigar cut with a guillotine, a punch, or a v-cut, has been waste.

I cut about three cigars before I got the hang of it. Now, when I pull out a 50 or bigger, I reach for this cutter instead of a guillotine or a punch.

I do not smoke anything under 50 so I cannot tell you how cigars with different cuts compare.

I can taste a difference though. The six slits provide a cooler, more even draw compared to the guillotine. Unlike the punch, I can smoke any 50 or wider cigar down to about a half an inch without losing any taste or suffering tar issues.

Side note: with the six blade cutter or the punch, I have never had a tar problem. I guess I am lucky.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #51
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Get it Mario, and if you don't like it you can always use it for that in-home circumcision business you've been looking into
Bring it on! Tim, will you be my first customer? I'll give you half off! Get it? Half off?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #52
muhren
The Cigar Artist

First Name: Mike
Trading: (43)
Punch
muhren has a spectacular aura aboutmuhren has a spectacular aura about

I've used one. Tried it at a shop about a year ago.

Here are my :
1. It was created BECAUSE people in the factory did use Exacto/razor blades to cut slits. it mimicks that. If you want to take the time to use a razor to cut five holes, experiment on your own.
2. You had to put it further into your mouth than I normally do as the slits are on the side rather than the tip of the cigar
3. The draw is more restricted than a standard cut with a guillotine (Should be obvious since that is a lop off the end)
4. I ended up having the shop owner give me a standard clip after I was through with half of the smoke.

Overall, it's not that is was BAD it was just QUITE different.

IF you're someone who thinks what you have is good enough...well, you're going to feel that way no matter what the new product is.

For someone who chomps the hell out of their cap and the cigar ends up unraveling, this may be for you. The cap (and wrapper) stayed relatively intact throughout my smoke.

TG is right in that it became restricted as the cigar was smoked.

M
Old 07-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #53
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Imho dont fix what isnt broken
Old 08-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #54
bevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
So, how long have you worked for the company?
No, I do not work for the company. I am just fanboy of the product.

Quote:
Out of curiousity, why would you say every cigar you ever cut with another cutter was a waste?
With other cutters, I do not enjoy the last third of the bigger cigars because they burn too hot and deliver too much smoke. With a guillotine cut but not a punch cut, some bigger cigars had a tendency to burn unevenly. With the six slits, though, I can smoke almost all the cigar (usually down to the last inch or so depending on the brand).
With the six slits, the draw is more even and is cooler.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #55
bevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Impossible. A guillotine provides the most surface area for the smoke to exit and if the cigar draws well, you can't get a "more even draw" than that.
You have had a much better experience than me with guillotine cuts on bigger cigars. I finally switched to the punch because I was tired of the uneven draws. With the punch, though, I am leaving about a third of the cigar because the cigar became too hot to smoke.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #56
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Perhaps you are smoking too quickly? I smoke churchills and double coronas all the time and never have them get too hot. And with proper humidification, I have no burn issues either.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #57
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

Don't feed the troll.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #58
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
Fixt
Old 08-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #59
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Perhaps you are smoking too quickly? I smoke churchills and double coronas all the time and never have them get too hot. And with proper humidification, I have no burn issues either.

My exact first thoughts too Tom.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #60
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
Don't feed the troll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Fixt
Come on guys.

Just because he has a differing opinion does not make him a troll.

A troll is someone who comes with the express purpose of disrupting, causing strife and agitating a forum, for their own amusement. There are many ways to do that, but coming in out of nowhere, posting something that sounds like a sales pitch and then a few days later civilly answering responses really isn't it.

Would he have been better served by posting an introduction in the appropriate section first, sure. Could the first post have been less like a shill, it could have been. But that, and the differing opinion, does not necessarily make him a troll.