Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default "Big Smoke" Infiltrated...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/22/nyregion/22cigar.html

Evidently there have been nanny-state proponents who have intentionally infiltrated the Big Smoke to try and show how terrible cigar smoking is.

If you even see this guy's face at a smoking event, kick him out.

Unbelievable,
Mike
Old 05-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Big Smoke" Infiltrated...

Thats a horrible article. What was the point of the experiment? What were the conclusions?

Anyone over 10 years old could conclude that "particulates" would be higher inside the ballroom.

I think his experiment backfired since it showed that particulates were well within the EPA's acceptable levels outside the ballroom and throughout the hotel.
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Conclusion: The "big smoke" was smokey.

I can haz master degree plz? Kthxbai.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

fuukin stupid people...how about I go and eat a liver sandwich...then after spitting it out I'll say...Liver sucks because I didn't like liver in the first place..
Old 05-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
I think his experiment backfired since it showed that particulates were well within the EPA's acceptable levels outside the ballroom and throughout the hotel.
This was back from 2007 but at the bottom they "amended" the article with the higher particulate count that was over the EPA guideline ... that's the great thing about data you can make it what ever you want it to be as long as no one's checking your work
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
This was back from 2007 but at the bottom they "amended" the article with the higher particulate count that was over the EPA guideline ... that's the great thing about data you can make it what ever you want it to be as long as no one's checking your work
It was over the epa guideline the first time as well... 11xx is way more than 251, then they amended it to 19xx. Doesnt make much sense really..
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

First Name: Robert
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
Sawyer has disabled reputation

This just in! Smoky air is smoky! Alert the internets!
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #8
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
This just in! Smoky air is smoky! Alert the internets!

BTW - that picture is SCREAMING photochop. Just sayin'.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

There "people" need to get lives! If you don't wanna be there- just don't go! Maybe they're all mentally unstable- masochits. I don't like ballet- I'm not gonna go and complain about it!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
Thats a horrible article. What was the point of the experiment? What were the conclusions?

Anyone over 10 years old could conclude that "particulates" would be higher inside the ballroom.

I agree 100%.

The funny thing is all of their claims revolve around thing. They believe that second hand smoke has been proven to cause cancer. In fact there has never been a SCIENTIFIC study to prove that it does. There have been scientific studies that tried to prove it, but none were successful.

Compare the junk "science" of our own Surgeon General. Read how second hand smoke exposure is "calculated".
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...901158_pf.html

"Typically, the studies asked 60--70 year-old self-declared nonsmokers to recall how many cigarettes, cigars or pipes might have been smoked in their presence during their lifetimes, how thick the smoke might have been in the rooms, whether the windows were open, and similar vagaries. Obtained mostly during brief phone interviews, answers were then recorded as precise measures of lifetime individual exposures.

In reality, it is impossible to summarize accurately from momentary and vague recalls, and with an absurd expectation of precision, the total exposure to secondhand smoke over more than a half-century of a person's lifetime. No measure of cumulative lifetime secondhand smoke exposure was ever possible, so the epidemiologic studies estimated risk based not only on an improper marker of exposure, but also on exposure data that are illusory.
"

To the actual scientific study done by the WHO.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...901158_pf.html

"The findings are certain to be an embarrassment to the WHO, which has spent years and vast sums on anti-smoking and anti-tobacco campaigns. The study is one of the largest ever to look at the link between passive smoking - or environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) - and lung cancer, and had been eagerly awaited by medical experts and campaigning groups.

Yet the scientists have found that there was no statistical evidence that passive smoking caused lung cancer. The research compared 650 lung cancer patients with 1,542 healthy people. It looked at people who were married to smokers, worked with smokers, both worked and were married to smokers, and those who grew up with smokers.

The results are consistent with their being no additional risk for a person living or working with a smoker and could be consistent with passive smoke having a protective effect against lung cancer. The summary, seen by The Telegraph, also states: "There was no association between lung cancer risk and ETS exposure during childhood." "

It's hard to argue with a real scientific study.

Last edited by 357; 05-12-2009 at 10:52 AM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

People find smoke offensive and will try to manipulate science to reach their own conclusion. Such BS.

My dad was talking about this same phony science (in terms of passive smoke) 25 years ago. This is nothing new. It's a witch hunt against tobacco. Certainly smoking is probably not good for you, but what the hell is these days?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
People find smoke offensive and will try to manipulate science to reach their own conclusion. Such BS.

My dad was talking about this same phony science (in terms of passive smoke) 25 years ago. This is nothing new. It's a witch hunt against tobacco. Certainly smoking is probably not good for you, but what the hell is these days?
To your point...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1507528/posts

Despite the claim of anti-smoking groups that scientific studies unanimously have shown that secondhand smoke is killing thousands from lung cancer, the truth is that the vast majority of such studies failed to find any statistically significant link.

The arguments of anti-smokers are sometimes ludicrous. They claim that smoke contains 4,000 poisons and carcinogens, but a 2005 California EPA analysis found only 405. Not only that, the average American diet contains about 10,000 poisons and carcinogens. Perhaps Chicago should ban food instead of tobacco.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #13
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
Conclusion: The "big smoke" was smokey.

And they spent HOW much money to figure that out??

Old 05-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Certainly smoking is probably not good for you, but what the hell is these days?
Bacon.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Bacon.
and Stoli
Old 05-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

mmmmmmmmm...bacon
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #17
dccraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post

BTW - that picture is SCREAMING photochop. Just sayin'.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #18
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
BigCat will become famous soon enough

He kind of looks like a young Walter Peck, Ghostbusters style. What a tool.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
Genetic Defect
difetosso

First Name: Perry
VR
Genetic Defect has disabled reputation

Ryan David Kennedy, a graduate student from Ontario, covertly assessed the air at the Big Smoke, a trade show and cigar party.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #20
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I hate studies like these. Never really give in scientific data. Only tell you there were more particulates in the air then deemed "safe". It is like the new studies about "3rd hand smoke". Which would be smoke on your clothes that you go home with and expose others. Lot of BS