Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #41
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Cool Re: How to Freeze and the Science behind it. Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk08 View Post
who's a bad little beetle , yes u are , yes u are **rub, rub rub** lol
roflmao!!!!!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #42
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: How to Freeze and the Science behind it. Long

Thanks For All the great advice & Pics., Shawn!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #43
TDK08

theres a url showing the beetles penis under a microscope, i wont post it here though lol. I thought it was tobii for a second
Old 01-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #44
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
While I believe in the study I don't have any doubt that what you say is true.

Which leads me to believe that your beetles are somewhere else, perhaps in your humi? Maybe they are indigenous to your area? Do you frequent a B&M that might have them?

Knowing your penchant for research Wayne I am assuming you have thought of these things already.
Yeah, that's the thing. I have thought of just about every aspect of how this could happen. The only thing I can figure is that the eggs were not killed, and my temps in FL get high. Most people on here have Vino's or some other type of temp control be it electric or because they live in areas not as hot as FL. So the freeze is a great tool, it just sucked that it did not work 100% for me
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #45
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Yeah, that's the thing. I have thought of just about every aspect of how this could happen. The only thing I can figure is that the eggs were not killed, and my temps in FL get high. Most people on here have Vino's or some other type of temp control be it electric or because they live in areas not as hot as FL. So the freeze is a great tool, it just sucked that it did not work 100% for me
fortunately you discovered the infestation before it caused major damage

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #46
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
fortunately you discovered the infestation before it caused major damage
And I think that is upmost in the discussion of beetles and cigars.

I don't have a large collection of smokes. So I can go through my whole collection, stick by stick, in around 30 minutes. Most of those horrible pics you see were of cigars that have been left alone for some while. That is the real danger with dealing with beetles. If you go through your cigars regularly, you will be able to catch any traces of beetles. I know there are a good number of BOTL's who's collections may not be huge, so IMO beetles are not a great risk to them. If you see one you will be able to kill it and more than likely save the stick or two it made a hole in.

But there are also those BOTL's who have loads of cigars, boxes, etc. In those cases a box may not be opened for a year or more. That is when beetles can become a real problem to your collection. These unchecked "aging" boxes become a literal feeding/breeding gorund for tobacco beetles.

Freezing is a great precaution and preventative step in maintaining sanity about your smokes. But if your collection is small to begin with, you will probably smoke through or examine by happenstance the sticks you have before they become a problem.
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #47
Totemic
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Totemic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Is it possible the beetle infestation may not be in the cigars but in the humidor itself? I know that once an infestation breaks out, you not only have to freeze the cigars, but also clean up the humidor. Maybe you missed a pocket in there somewhere?

This assumes of course, the cigars were frozen long enough to ensure the core of the cigar reached the temperature in question for the duration needed to kill off all the little buggers.

Anyways, for me at least, I don't freeze cigars mostly because as Wayner123 pointed out, I tend to monitor my cigars pretty regularly so the odds of having any cigars go for weeks/months without me at least eyeballing it once is remote. Not to mention, I'm a lazy bum and I hate having to deal with all the prep work for freezing/thawing cigars (although, I may start taking those precautions).
Totemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #48
Mr.Italy
Just in

Trading: (1)
Mr.Italy is on a distinguished road

What do you think on the long term aging ( 10 years) for a box of cigars if freezed and not freezed.

Will we loose some aroma/essential oils flavour etc.

JFYI all cigars that are sold in Italy are freezed by the importer ( this means freezed twice as also in Cuba premium cigars (not all) are freezed).,

Last edited by Mr.Italy; 01-14-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Mr.Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #49
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Italy View Post
What do you think on the long term aging ( 10 years) for a box of cigars if freezed and not freezed.

Will we loose some aroma/essential oils flavour etc.

JFYI all cigars that are sold in Italy are freezed by the importer ( this means freezed twice as also in Cuba premium cigars (not all) are freezed).,
I have no imperical evidence either way as I have nothing that I have personally frozen that has been around in my humi for more than a year as that is how long ago I started freezing.

I believe that it would not have any impact as their is no loss of oils or aroma if they are fully sealed. Some may argue the other side of that, but my preference given that I have a larger collection (at least to me) and have boxes that may go unopened for years is that I freeze. I would rather risk the loss of a little flavor than open a box of dust in 3 years.

I think that this whole freezing thing is a case by case decision, Wayner made a good point earlier that if you have a relatively small collection and are looking at your sticks on a regular basis and smoke through them fairly quickly then freezing may not be necessary for you.

I have 1,400 plus cigars of which many are boxes that I have only opened upon receipt from the vendor and have not as yet reopened nor will I likely open them for some years to come so freezing is like buying insurance to me (which I also have on my cigars) I would rather not take the risk, I have invested much money time and effort into my collection.

Hope this helps
Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #50
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

Shawn if you want you can send me around 700 of them and I can assure you I will personally finger f#^(*!! each one weekly to make sure no beetles pop up!!!

Just trying to help out!!!
Cigarcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #51
TDK08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarcop View Post
Shawn if you want you can send me around 700 of them and I can assure you I will personally finger f#^(*!! each one weekly to make sure no beetles pop up!!!

hell yeah!!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #52
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarcop View Post

I dunno if I have any tupperware containers that big
Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #53
TDK08

i still say sending a sealed box full of beetles is the answer, dude goes to open the box for a quick smell and bang that critters latch onto his face
Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #54
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

This ain't a sticky yet?

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #55
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Trading: (0)
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

great post and this is almost exactly my process as well!

i'm gonna give silverfox a bump...
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #56
SilverFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski View Post
great post and this is almost exactly my process as well!

i'm gonna give silverfox a bump...
Why thank you kind sir
Old 01-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #57
Footbag
I Need My Space

First Name: Adam
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Footbag will become famous soon enoughFootbag will become famous soon enough

So 3-4 hours in my mailbox should do today. LOL!

Great Post!
Footbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #58
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info. Shawn. This would make a great sticky.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #59
SilverFox

Got a PM on this yesterday thought I would bump it up again
Old 02-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #60
ca21455
Working on Reality

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ca21455 is on a distinguished road

I have stored a few thousand NC cigars over the years, many with several years of storage on them and have never found evidence of a beetle. Is this mainly a problem with storing older CC's or have I just been lucky?
ca21455 is offline   Reply With Quote