Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 03-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
iRiSh
In the Belly Of the Beast

Trading: (0)
iRiSh is on a distinguished road
Default The Guinness is Better in Ireland...

Serious issue settled as scientists reveal that Guinness in Ireland tastes best by far
FRANK McNALLY

A SERIOUS science journal has dared to go where no science journal has gone before by tackling a question that has long vexed mankind (especially when sitting in a pub): does Guinness travel well outside Ireland?

The answer, tentatively, is no. But despite sampling 103 pints in 71 pubs and 14 countries, the researchers admitted further study is needed to back up their preliminary findings that, when ambience and other variables are discounted, Guinness really does taste better here.

The survey was conducted under the umbrella of the Institute of Food Technologists, an international not-for-profit organisation based in Chicago, and published in the latest issue of its monthly Journal of Food Science .

It comprised four researchers from countries with a long brewing tradition – Ireland, England, the Netherlands, and Germany – carrying out the fieldwork over an 11-month period in conjunction with their existing assignments and travel arrangements.

All used identical equipment: including a thermometer, a ruler (to measure head depth), a stopwatch (to measure pouring and drinking time) and a standardised checklist for rating various quality indicators.

But central to each test was a visual analogue scale, scoring the pint’s taste on a scale of 0 to 100. On the overall score, the average Irish pint rated 74. The average for all other countries was 57.

The researchers also considered a range of explanations for the discrepancy, including what they called the “conspiracy theory”, a popular suspicion that the brewery produces three different qualities of Guinness.

The study summed up the belief thus: “The finest quality is given to its own employees, the second best is sold to the people of Ireland, and the worst is exported”.

But the theory was undermined, the researchers said, by their experience that the stout served in the brewery was not the best they had in Dublin.

The four-man team did admit the possibility that the “craic” or “ambience” of the Irish drinking environment could influence quality judgments. They also found evidence for the “line” theory: that Guinness is best enjoyed in pubs where demand for it is high, so that it is never sitting in the pipelines for too long.

That the Journal of Food Science is a serious publication can be inferred from some of the other material in the March issue. One feature is headed: “Technological Optimization of Manufacture of Probiotic Whey Cheese Matrices”. A second reports: “Improved Sauerkraut Production with Probiotic Strain Lactobacillus plantarum L4 and Leuconostoc mesenteroides LMG 7954”.

And then there is the catchily titled “Discrimination of Alicyclobacillus Strains Using Nitrocellulose Membrane Filter and Attenuated Total Reflectance Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy”.

The journal also features a study on the development of food for Nasa space missions. Astronauts now enjoy a tastier and healthier diet than ever before, it concludes, but there are challenges still to be faced before they travel “to Mars and beyond”. There is no mention of the use of Guinness in the project.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Guinness is Better in Ireland...

Good read!!!

BTW - The Sierra Nevada beers taste much better in Chico!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

should be, as it tastes like **** everywhere else in my opinion (and I tried it on 3 continents)
Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Many beer folks say that fresh is better. I know that Sweetwater IPA is a great example. In bottles it is good. On keg at a local pub, freshly delivered and tapped it is better. At the brewery last weekend it was the best I've had. Does that lend to the 'conspiracy theory' sure but what folks fail to realize that beer is alive and continues to change and develop long after it is brewed.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

I have to agree wholeheartedly on this one, the Guinness in Ireland is way better than the stuff we get in the states...
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

The best part is they got paid for sampling 103 pints in 71 pubs and 14 countries...

Where can I sign up???
Old 03-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
iRiSh

I agree it doesnt travel too well but i think the constant use and cleaning of the suppy lines is the key, even in pubs in the u.k there are much much better in their understanding of the black stuff!

In Ireland the wee pubs that are 95% Guinness Drinkers are the places to go for best pints, After the Free pint at the top of the Guinness Brewery at St. James Gate
Old 03-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
iRiSh

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD View Post
The best part is they got paid for sampling 103 pints in 71 pubs and 14 countries...

Where can I sign up???
Old 03-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRiSh View Post
I agree it doesnt travel too well but i think the constant use and cleaning of the suppy lines is the key, even in pubs in the u.k there are much much better in their understanding of the black stuff!

In Ireland the wee pubs that are 95% Guinness Drinkers are the places to go for best pints, After the Free pint at the top of the Guinness Brewery at St. James Gate
That is a great point, cleanliness is paramount.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
timo
Feeling at Home

timo will become famous soon enough

But how are the Seegars back in the old country?

Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics
timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Fun fact: Bud light tastes like sh*t no matter where it is drank.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

I also agree, I lived in the UK for 3 yrs and wouldn't touch guiness until I went to Ireland in 2000 where I lived on Guiness...its all about the water...
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #13
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I still prefer Guinness to most mass-produced beers available in the States, but after travels to Ireland, I agree that there is no doubt it tastes better in Ireland. It's also much easier to drink there in that I can drink as many as I care for without getting full in Ireland, whereas I can only drink 6 or so here and I am too full to drink much more.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
iRiSh

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
But how are the Seegars back in the old country?
Expensively Imported
Old 03-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road

They don't pasteurize the Guinness in Ireland do they? I've been under the impression they pasteurize Guinness for export. If this is the case, that is a big factor, as is the age of the beer.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #16
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Fun fact: Bud light tastes like sh*t no matter where it is drank.
Fun game.

When in Ireland let your buddy buy the first round he will bring back guiness because he has to. When you finish offer to buy the second round and bring him back a budwieser. Loudly state "I don't know why you'd rather drink this than a guinness" when you get back to the table.

I did this at least once a day to my pal Logan while we were in Ireland and got a kick out of it every time. Him... not so much
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #17
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
Fun game.

When in Ireland let your buddy buy the first round he will bring back guiness because he has to. When you finish offer to buy the second round and bring him back a budwieser. Loudly state "I don't know why you'd rather drink this than a guinness" when you get back to the table.

I did this at least once a day to my pal Logan while we were in Ireland and got a kick out of it every time. Him... not so much

That's hilarious! I'll have to remember that if I ever travel across the pond again.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #18
whodeeni

Have any of you guys tried Guiness "Foreign Extra?" That stuff
is amazingly good!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #19
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Drinking one right now, as a matter of fact!
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #20
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Trading: (3)
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation

They must have had some serious funding to afford 4 pints in Dublin.

TAMF,PPAB,ETWWWUTL,LITMPTYCL
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote