Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default Penzey's Spices

My 15 y/o daughter is into cooking, and asked to go to this store in Minneapolis. I didn't realize until looking through the catalogue we brought home that they are a chain/franchise. Super cool store, lots of fun to browse around if you're into cooking. They've got 250 different spices, many I had never been aware of. We spent about $50, but it would be easy to go crazy and spend a couple hundred. They have about 45 stores, so perhaps there is one near you. 100% recommended for a fun hour or so.

http://www.penzeys.com
Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Penzey's Spices

I LOVE Penzey's!! Everything I have bought from them has been top quality. The Curry sampler (eight jars I think) is a wonderful way to get into curry. Buying some of their other things such as ground mustard in the bags is a great way to get top quality stuff at much less than you would pay at the grocery store.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
leasingthisspace

I have one like 45 mins from here will have to look next time I am down there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I've been buying from them since they were purely mail order. Their stores are amazing, if you like to cook. Their chili powder and cajun mixes are standards. Also the Tuscan Sunset (Italian). Actually they're not very expensive if you buy stuff by the bag and keep bottles filled.

Muchly recommended!
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
stinkie
Still Watching My Back

First Name: dan
Trading: (2)
stinkie is on a distinguished road

love this store. we have one about 15 min.from the house. the wife will not let me go alone. afraid i will spend 2or 3 hundred replacing all the grocery store stuff shes bought.very high quality stuff. i recommended it to all the cooks i know. the pasta sprinkle is killer stuff.

stinkie
stinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I'm glad several of you are familiar with Penzey's. My daughter made 2 loaves of banana bread using Penzey's cinnamon and vanilla, and it's baking right now. The house smells heavenly.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
I'm glad several of you are familiar with Penzey's. My daughter made 2 loaves of banana bread using Penzey's cinnamon and vanilla, and it's baking right now. The house smells heavenly.
You lucky BlackDog!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Love Penzey's. There's one about 30mins from me. I usually make two trips a year there and spend between $50-$100 each time. My favorite new spice is smoked paprika. Been going through a lot of that. Reminds me, time to make paella again.

The best thing about them is their turnover is really quick, so you can expect to get some of the freshest spices.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

If you are into black pepper, get the India Spicy Bold from Penzys, it's da bomb.

They also have the only packages tandoori rub that I would ever consider using
Old 05-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Grand avenue?

Yeah, the smell of that place makes me drool. I was just thinking of hitting it a week ago or so... interesting coincidence.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Wow! We have a decent spice shop here, but nothing like that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
They also have the only packages tandoori rub that I would ever consider using
Yep... you are correct. I also love their Josh Rogan (sp) and Satay. Actually, the whole curry sampler is killer.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Grand avenue?

Yeah, the smell of that place makes me drool. I was just thinking of hitting it a week ago or so... interesting coincidence.
Hennepin right next to the Golden Leaf
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #14
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat1075 View Post
Hennepin right next to the Golden Leaf
Holy cow, I forgot there was one in Uptown. Not to mention, I haven't been to that leaf store. What a wonderful combo right next to each other. Gives me a good reason to drag the wife down there on a Sunday. Or Hell, any day in the summer.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Holy cow, I forgot there was one in Uptown. Not to mention, I haven't been to that leaf store. What a wonderful combo right next to each other. Gives me a good reason to drag the wife down there on a Sunday. Or Hell, any day in the summer.
Leave Thy Credit Card at Thy House - so sayest he of experience

I can't get out of Penzys for less than $50 - more often $200
Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #16
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

Quote:
And there is Mager's & Quinn bookstore there too. If you're into browsing old bookstores it's a great place. Then go across the street to Calhoun Square and go to happy hour (from 2:00pm - 7:00pm) at Famous Dave's for $2.00 pints of Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Or walk a few blocks up Lake Street to the Bryant Lake Bowl, one of the great beer establishments in the Twin Cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Leave Thy Credit Card at Thy House - so sayest he of experience

I can't get out of Penzys for less than $50 - more often $200
Oh yeah, I could have easily dropped $100, and had to use restraint to get away with about $50.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #17
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
They have about 45 stores, so perhaps there is one near you. 100% recommended for a fun hour or so.
This is always the case: "There's like a hundred of em" but never near me. As it happens,
this time there IS ONE near me. Kind of a stretch of a lunch hour, but I will check it out
this weekend.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #18
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

I have had cravings for curries the past few months. I think a visit this Sunday may be in order. They have 8 or 9 blends.
Thai Coconut Chicken Curry with basmati rice for dinner sounds pretty rockstar.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #19
Cigary

Quote:
Have used this as well until I discovered another Vanilla and it's the best I have ever used. Being an avid cook myself I have tried just about every vanilla out there and this one ( http://www.mexicanvanilla.com/ ) Blue Cattle Truck Vanilla is amazing. Banana Bread, Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream, French Toast, Pastries, cookies...the list is endless.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #20
n3uka
Feeling at Home

Trading: (30)
Cohiba
n3uka has disabled reputation

Cool, one near me and never knew about it.

I have been buying on www.myspicesage.com
will have to check out penzeys now too
n3uka is offline   Reply With Quote