Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 06-10-2009, 06:29 AM   #161
Smoking Dragon
formerly sergeant smoky

First Name: John
Trading: (67)
Cohiba Army (Disabled Vet)
Smoking Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSmoking Dragon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Scotch Q&A

18 year Glenlivet is my ABSOLUTE favorite scotch.

Sarge
Smoking Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #162
pmwz
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
pmwz is on a distinguished road

i dont have a lot of whisky experience. I have tried an Irish Single Malt cooley 4yrs, a 7 year old Highland Scotch (dont know which) , Springbank 10 + 15. Didnt enjoy the highland as much as the other stuff.
i think about getting a couple of 5cl samples or going to a tasting at a cadenhead's store that is almost right across my street.
can you give me a recommendation for each region (in the sub 50$ range)
pmwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #163
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwz View Post
i dont have a lot of whisky experience. I have tried an Irish Single Malt cooley 4yrs, a 7 year old Highland Scotch (dont know which) , Springbank 10 + 15. Didnt enjoy the highland as much as the other stuff.
i think about getting a couple of 5cl samples or going to a tasting at a cadenhead's store that is almost right across my street.
can you give me a recommendation for each region (in the sub 50$ range)
Going to a tasting would be a great option to try some different whiskies and learn about Scotch in general.

There is a line of single malts called McClellands named for the 4 main regions (Islay, Highland, Speyside, Lowland). Each is a young sample from a distillery in each region. I can't remember what distilleries were used. I think you can even get sampler sized bottles.

I haven't had these, so I don't know what they taste like.

My choices would be Bowmore for Islay, Auchentoshan for Lowland, Highland Park for Highland (though it may test your price limit), and maybe Glenlivet for Speyside. That would be a nice tasting. There maybe nice Speysiders that would fit your budget, but I mostly prefer Islay malts.

Hope this helps and happy dramming.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #164
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I picked up my first ever bottle of scotch last night - Highland Park 12. I tried a bit last night with a splash of water.

For someone not used to drinking strong alcohol, it definitely will take some getting used to. I could immediately pick out a lot of the flavors described in the thread, though.

I shall soldier on with another glass right now
Old 06-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #165
BrokenSkeg

Single malt scotch is the only hard liquor I'll drink regularly.
Bowmore is too light for me
Laphroaig 10 is very peaty but very aromatic
There is a Laphroaig quarter cask that is available and is excellent also
Glen Morangie is excellent but I prefer the Sherry casked version best
Highland Park is great and the wife likes it as much as I do
Macallan is great also.
If you like cask strength scotch rather than "blended" single malts (as some of the single malts are) try joining the Scoth Single Malt Society.
http://www.smwsa.com/
They aren't cheap. Bottles start at $100. I had one that was 32 years old and 132 proof, casked in sherry oak which was outstanding. It set me back $210. They buy the full barrels from the distillery, bottle it and sell them to the members. Once they're all sold that all there is.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #166
FretSpot
Ronshumidor.com

First Name: Donovan
Trading: (25)
Bolivar
FretSpot is on a distinguished road

This thread is too good to die...

Found this site that looks interesting for those interested in learning more about Scotch:
http://www.maltmadness.com
FretSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #167
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Trading: (3)
Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough

True. There are so many good scotches out there. Brown liquors are definitely making a comeback. I do like several single malts aged in Sherry, Madera or port casks. I have seen a new wave of Tequilas being aged in sherry and other used barrels. However to me it is still Tequila. If you are new to scotch, either try it with several people with some experience or attend a tasting. Tasting done by a professional will at least teach you terminology and regions where it may be easy to narrow down your likes and dislikes of this noble spirit. Cheers.
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #168
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FretSpot View Post

Found this site that looks interesting for those interested in learning more about Scotch:
That is an interesting site - Thanks For Sharing.

Malt will never die, fads (tequila, etc) come and go but Scotch is forever in the Man Cave.

Lagavulin Rules - enjoying some now.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #169
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone have any opinions on the Macallan 18yr old?? I was able to try some over New Years, and it was awful The price is high and I'd be very disappointed if I had to pay for a whole bottle. The oaky taste was way too over powering and not very smooth for an 18 year old.

I'd much rather have Glenlivet 12 or 18 yr old, Dalwhinnie or Belvinie. Those are my favorites right now. Any other suggestions?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #170
captain53
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Anyone have any opinions on the Macallan 18yr old?? I was able to try some over New Years, and it was awful The price is high and I'd be very disappointed if I had to pay for a whole bottle. The oaky taste was way too over powering and not very smooth for an 18 year old.

I'd much rather have Glenlivet 12 or 18 yr old, Dalwhinnie or Belvinie. Those are my favorites right now. Any other suggestions?
I am not a Macallan fan myself. Here is a lesser known one that I recently tried and thought was very good for something in the lower Single Malt price range:

http://www.isleofjura.com/index2.cfm

Here is another better known excellent choice for a lower price range Single Malt:

http://www.laphroaig.com/
Old 02-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #171
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
I am not a Macallan fan myself. Here is a lesser known one that I recently tried and thought was very good for something in the lower Single Malt price range:

http://www.isleofjura.com/index2.cfm

Here is another better known excellent choice for a lower price range Single Malt:

http://www.laphroaig.com/
See I like 12 year old Macallan a lot more. Not my favorite but I like it. So the 18 y/o really shocked me. I thought I would love it but not the case. My wallet is very happy with my taste buds

I'll have to give both your recommendations a shot. I've actually heard of Jura before, but didn't pay it any attention because I never heard of it.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #172
captain53
Have My Own Room

At first taste the Jura did not do much for me but as I further tasted it I found it pretty good.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #173
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
See I like 12 year old Macallan a lot more.
I agree actually. I had the chance to try the 18 year in an airport bar in a state where liquor was a lot cheaper than Michigan. It was about $12 for a shot of the stuff. I was really let down. I thought the 12 was much better. I'd never claim expertise in the field of scotch, but I drink a lot of single malt and know what I like. I wouldn't spend the extra $75 for a bottle of the 18. I'll take the 12. Now glenlivit 18 year is dramatically better than glenlivit 12 in my taste, and the 18 is at least affordable for a nice scotch around here.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #174
spizz
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
spizz is on a distinguished road

Love Johhnie Blue. My wallet unfortunetly doesn't
spizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 AM   #175
GreekGodX
Opa!!

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I agree actually. I had the chance to try the 18 year in an airport bar in a state where liquor was a lot cheaper than Michigan. It was about $12 for a shot of the stuff. I was really let down. I thought the 12 was much better. I'd never claim expertise in the field of scotch, but I drink a lot of single malt and know what I like. I wouldn't spend the extra $75 for a bottle of the 18. I'll take the 12. Now glenlivit 18 year is dramatically better than glenlivit 12 in my taste, and the 18 is at least affordable for a nice scotch around here.
I agree on the Glenlivet. For the extra money, you are getting a lot more in terms of taste in the 18 y/o.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #176
SD Beerman
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
SD Beerman will become famous soon enough

Balvenie doublewood is a great sipping scotch and not too crazy pricey....
SD Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #177
kayaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FretSpot View Post

That site and it's companion sites are great. I use them for reference and a good laugh all the time.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #178
kayaker

Quote:

None of the Macs are cheap compared to scotches of similar age. Did you have the Fine Oak or the regular version of it? Regular version is aged only in Sherry casks, and the Fine Oak uses Sherry and Bourbon Casks. It's been a while since I've had the regular, but I remember it as being quite good. The Fine Oak 18 was very smooth, but a bit underwhelming for my tastes.

It could have been an off bottle, or you just may not like that style. Try one of the younger versions and see what that's like. You should be able to buy a dram at a decent bar.

I found the Balvenie somewhat similar in style to the Macallan. Glenkintchie, Glen Ord, Arran Island are also quite nice. Actually there are lots of great whiskies. The best part is getting to sample lots and lots to find out what you like.

If you find there's something you don't really like, try it again a year later to see if your tastes have changed. Mine have over the last few years. Your mood and what you've eaten recently can also affect the taste of your dram.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #179
Wanger

Had some good stuff with a buddy home on leave from Iraq last Friday. Scott's Selection, 1983, bottled in 2004. Haven't been able to find much info on it. It was GOOOD, and paired well with an Opus Petit Lancero. Anyone else tried it, or know anything about it?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #180
silentjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Beerman View Post
Balvenie doublewood is a great sipping scotch and not too crazy pricey....
One of my favorite Scotchs. I always have a bottle behind the bar.