Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
kzm007

Unhappy LG Chocolate gets replaced - did I overpay?

I have an LG Chocolate, had it about a year. It's a $100 phone but I got it for free through the Verizon upgrade when my contract rolled itself.

Anyway, the year's passed, and I can't upgrade 'til '10. Why do I want to? Well, I liked this phone, I really did. But the darnedest things happen to it.

Sometimes when I take a picture, it shuts itself off. That's it. Pft. Straight off, and I've got to restart and take a new one.

And then, get this. My charge port is loose I think. I've got to plug the stupid thing in through the USB, and either force it, hold it tight, or hope it hits the contact just right to register that it's supposed to charge.

So I emailed Verizon three days ago; I'll never call them, I hate customer support. Still no reply. But I know what they'll do. They'll tell me to send em the phone and $50 and they'll get me a new one...new being refurbished, right?

I thought no way. So I just bid on and won a Blackberry Storm for $385; I'm hoping to get $85 for my LG to offset the cost. Did I pay too much for a gently used PDA smartphone compared to the Chocolate?

Just curious. Sorry if this sounds weird at all. I'm very angry at this point, and really didn't want to pay for it; I did, but I still wish my phone worked fine.

Anyone else hate their LG? Why?
Old 02-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: LG Chocolate gets replaced - did I overpay?

Just take the phone into a Verizon store and they should replace it for you on the spot. Atleast thats what they do for me.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
kzm007

Well the thing is, I bought the Blackberry, and being a newbie...or stupid, probably both, didn't even know about data plans until the room mate told me; after I paid.

Now, the extra money doesn't bother me; I'm going to sell some stuff, and I make disability, which just went up. I'm going to configure a plan to make this work since it really is a nice phone.

I just want to know if $385 was a fair deal for it.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Chompers

I'm not sure if it's a good deal, but those Storms are awesome!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

I guess it is a fair deal considering if you bought it from Verizon you would have paid $299 with a 1 year deal or $199 with a 2 year deal. Which is what I would have done if it were me.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
kzm007

Yeah, and the $199 was only for new activations; if anyone actually understands this calling plan runaround, please PM. I'd love it explained in plain English.

Thanks for the reassurance though I'm just a little nervous 'cause I think I screwed up somehow.

Kegan
Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
kzm007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers View Post
I'm not sure if it's a good deal, but those Storms are awesome!
I know, right? I remember hearing about Blackberries when I was nine, out of MAD Magazine; thought it was stupid to have something that overpriced for a phone.

Then I got into college and realized I could use all that stuff :SS college kids selling 'em on eBay, they all go for $400 something before it's all over...insane, really.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzm007 View Post
Yeah, and the $199 was only for new activations; if anyone actually understands this calling plan runaround, please PM. I'd love it explained in plain English.

Thanks for the reassurance though I'm just a little nervous 'cause I think I screwed up somehow.

Kegan
Well as far as I understand, it just means you have to extend your contract with Verizon for 1 or 2 years, which if you don't have problems with your service, isn't such a bad idea.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
kzm007

Looks like it, I just want to make sure I can justify the extra cost; I make the money, but it's still kinda high it seems.

Thanks for the help though