Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #2001
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
lolol
QQ Bao

off to the gym for random accessory craps. Might do some laying around with some sitting, then im going to super set with some stretching and water drinking. Then im going to finish with a post workout drink 24oz curl super setting with some mouth flapping.

imma set a PR.

Join the CA Lottery (clicky). It's fun!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #2002
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Sent you a PM Frank.

So, MM tends to facilitate weight gain, eh? The main reason I like it is the flavor is good, and it includes both whey and casein proteins. Maybe I'll let my GF know she's better off with the biochem whey I have, since she's trying to lose. I'll tell her to just mix it with a glass of milk or blend a banana in it, because it tastes like ass. Will try the chocolate next time instead of vanilla.

Anyone tried Trader Joe's whey?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #2003
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
I *think* that's made by Met-Rx. Honestly, though, I'd go for Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

ADB is going to tell you the same thing. I recommend the Rocky Road flavor (ADB's favorite, too) because it tastes awesome. That and a good multi (I use OptiMen, by Optimum Nutrition too) should help.

And drink LOTS of water.
Major Ditto.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #2004
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Day 3 at the gym: Shoulders and back plus 30 min. on the elliptical.

Feel awesome right about now!

Insert quote here.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #2005
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

yea, I've only been able to make it to the gym once or twice a week. I've been slacking HARD.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #2006
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
So, MM tends to facilitate weight gain, eh? The main reason I like it is the flavor is good, and it includes both whey and casein proteins. Maybe I'll let my GF know she's better off with the biochem whey I have, since she's trying to lose. I'll tell her to just mix it with a glass of milk or blend a banana in it, because it tastes like ass. Will try the chocolate next time instead of vanilla.

Anyone tried Trader Joe's whey?
Never tried Trader Joe's whey. If you take any advice this year whatsoever buy supplements online. It's cheap, the selection is better, and the prices cannot be beat. In my honest opinion MM is crap. It's loaded with too much crap. Get a whey powder like ON 100%. If you need carbs toss a banana and some oatmeal or something along those lines into the shake. There protein is low quality too.

MM's Protein blend - Calcium, And Sodium Caseinate, Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides, Lactoferrin, L-Glutamine, Taurine

For the price you are paying it's crap.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:44 AM   #2007
nem
!

Trading: (0)
nem is on a distinguished road

Just noticed this thread. Never knew so many brothers were into weight lifting as well!

Got done with my evening workout about 3 hours ago . . . 5 x 3 of weighted pull ups with 50lbs plus 3 x 6 of t-bar rows with 4 plates. Eating some chicken breast and veggies right now (Did I tell you how much I hated cutting? LOL). Going to do my morning workout in two hours when the gym opens. Probably just some unweighted pull ups and bicep work.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:48 AM   #2008
nem
!

Quote:
So, MM tends to facilitate weight gain, eh? The main reason I like it is the flavor is good, and it includes both whey and casein proteins.
I agree with BigFrank that MM is crap given the price. If you're looking to put on weight, eat eat eat! At least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Plenty of healthy fats and carbs from low glycemic sources as well. If your schedule permits, eat every 2-3 hours.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #2009
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nem View Post
I agree with BigFrank that MM is crap given the price. If you're looking to put on weight, eat eat eat! At least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Plenty of healthy fats and carbs from low glycemic sources as well. If your schedule permits, eat every 2-3 hours.
I'm not looking to put on weight. I'm building muscle, but have about 20lbs or so of fat I wouldn't mind dropping. I'll have to try some of the other protein shakes. I was going with just real food for a while, but that's much easier with an evening workout schedule. Lift, come home, throw some chicken on the foreman and veg in front of the tv. Tough to manage it in the morning, when I have to get my ass to work.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #2010
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Just noticed this thread. Never knew so many brothers were into weight lifting as well!

Got done with my evening workout about 3 hours ago . . . 5 x 3 of weighted pull ups with 50lbs plus 3 x 6 of t-bar rows with 4 plates. Eating some chicken breast and veggies right now (Did I tell you how much I hated cutting? LOL). Going to do my morning workout in two hours when the gym opens. Probably just some unweighted pull ups and bicep work.
Just curious, I see that you are doing pull-up workouts 5 hours apart...I was curious as to why so little rest between back workouts?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #2011
nem
!

Quote:
I'm not looking to put on weight. I'm building muscle, but have about 20lbs or so of fat I wouldn't mind dropping. I'll have to try some of the other protein shakes. I was going with just real food for a while, but that's much easier with an evening workout schedule. Lift, come home, throw some chicken on the foreman and veg in front of the tv. Tough to manage it in the morning, when I have to get my ass to work.
Not trying to be cynical here, but generally speaking it's difficult (though not completely impossible) to get rid of fat and build muscle at the same time. On a more conventional diet with plenty of carbs, your body needs to be at a caloric deficit (burning more calories than you're consuming) to get rid of fat, which makes it difficult to put on any muscle. Likewise, if you're looking to put on muscle, your body needs to be at a caloric surplus (consuming more calories than you're burning), which makes it hard to get rid of fat. If you're really looking to get rid of fat and build muscle at the same time, you might want to contemplate going on a low-carb ketogenic diet (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet). Though not everyone is a fan of ketogenic diets, some people have enjoyed quite a bit of success with them. Ultimately, keep in mind that changing your body composition is 90% diet, 10% everything else.

Also protein supplements from most of the major brands tend be nearly identical except in taste and packaging. From what I understand, only a handful of factories actually produce protein powders from scratch. The various major supplement companies buys protein powders from these factories in bulk and then flavors, packages, markets, etc. them as their own.

Good luck, sir!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #2012
nem
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Just curious, I see that you are doing pull-up workouts 5 hours apart...I was curious as to why so little rest between back workouts?
Some strength and conditioning coaches (e.g. Charles Poliquin) feels that doing two workouts in a single day targeting the same muscles serves as one of the fastest ways to putting on size and/or strength. The first workout would generally be heavy weights at low reps. The second workout would be light weights, but with greater volume. Poliquin recommends having a morning and then afternoon workout with about 5-6 hours of rest in between. However, I'm on a rather odd schedule . . . LOL. So sometimes I would do the first workout around 11 or 12 at night, and the second workout in the early morning at 6 when my gym opens.

I'm not completely sure why 5-6 hours of rest is recommended between the first/heavy workout and the second/light workout. However it has worked for me. I'm guessing it's the optimal amount of rest time with regard to getting enough rest between the two workouts, but before your nervous system wears out for the day.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #2013
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

I would recommend carb cycling pete.

Off to the gym in a few for some squats. Then I'm getting a Qdoba burrito or Taco Bell.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #2014
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Hey Alex!

Frank,
You sent me a simple 3-day a week gym plan..can you resend that to me or make up something else where I can look like 1/4 of you?
Old 06-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #2015
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm in the same boat as you, brother.
Quote:
Not trying to be cynical here, but generally speaking it's difficult (though not completely impossible) to get rid of fat and build muscle at the same time. On a more conventional diet with plenty of carbs, your body needs to be at a caloric deficit (burning more calories than you're consuming) to get rid of fat, which makes it difficult to put on any muscle. Likewise, if you're looking to put on muscle, your body needs to be at a caloric surplus (consuming more calories than you're burning), which makes it hard to get rid of fat. If you're really looking to get rid of fat and build muscle at the same time, you might want to contemplate going on a low-carb ketogenic diet (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet). Though not everyone is a fan of ketogenic diets, some people have enjoyed quite a bit of success with them. Ultimately, keep in mind that changing your body composition is 90% diet, 10% everything else.

Also protein supplements from most of the major brands tend be nearly identical except in taste and packaging. From what I understand, only a handful of factories actually produce protein powders from scratch. The various major supplement companies buys protein powders from these factories in bulk and then flavors, packages, markets, etc. them as their own.

Good luck, sir!
Great info, although I'm not sure the ketogenic diet is for me. I tried it a few years ago and it takes a lot of discipline to stay on this type of diet.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #2016
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Some strength and conditioning coaches (e.g. Charles Poliquin) feels that doing two workouts in a single day targeting the same muscles serves as one of the fastest ways to putting on size and/or strength. The first workout would generally be heavy weights at low reps. The second workout would be light weights, but with greater volume. Poliquin recommends having a morning and then afternoon workout with about 5-6 hours of rest in between. However, I'm on a rather odd schedule . . . LOL. So sometimes I would do the first workout around 11 or 12 at night, and the second workout in the early morning at 6 when my gym opens.

I'm not completely sure why 5-6 hours of rest is recommended between the first/heavy workout and the second/light workout. However it has worked for me. I'm guessing it's the optimal amount of rest time with regard to getting enough rest between the two workouts, but before your nervous system wears out for the day.
That is all that matters, bottom line. Thanks for the info.

I hit back today, mostly pull-ups and cable work....lower back doesn't feel 100% healed yet so I will save my heavy movements for my next back workout Tuesday.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #2017
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Hey Alex!

Frank,
You sent me a simple 3-day a week gym plan..can you resend that to me or make up something else where I can look like 1/4 of you?
Sure Bao. I got some free time tonight I get one moving. Shoot me a pm with your plans as of now. I think I may put ya on the program I am on now. It's great, and isnt a massive time consuming crapper.

By 1/4 do you mean 25% as strong, or 25% as fat
Old 06-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #2018
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Squatted tonight.
Went quick and boring. 525x7 then worked my way down. Did some calf stuff 3 sets then left. I just ate taco bell and I am awaiting the fiery aftermath that shall ensue.

For you guys looking to drop a few pounds and get in better shape I seriously recommend carb cycling. It is seriously worth looking into. Seriously. Can you tell I'm serious?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #2019
Chris.
PSHC!

Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

Yea, I'm looking to get under 200 pounds again. I'm at 230 now. I just want to lose a lot of fat and get back down to a 34 waist from the 38 I am now. I've been trying to run after my workouts to help with that.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #2020
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
Squatted tonight.
Went quick and boring. 525x7 then worked my way down. Did some calf stuff 3 sets then left. I just ate taco bell and I am awaiting the fiery aftermath that shall ensue.

For you guys looking to drop a few pounds and get in better shape I seriously recommend carb cycling. It is seriously worth looking into. Seriously. Can you tell I'm serious?
Why so serious, Frank?

Closed Thread