Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #21
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moronic teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
I do want to give linux a decent shot
I've always wanted to too, but I guess I'm a slave to Microsoft. I'm afraid what it will do to my computer. Where can I get a disk like that kid was handing out?
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #22
floydp
Team of 11

First Name: Frank
Trading: (0)
Partagas MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
floydp will become famous soon enough

My grandson uses Mandriva linux quite a few times a week to play those dopey online games a sixth grader likes. The grand kids likes it when I show em the effects in Compiz. Burning windows(not the OS),cubes and stuff on an old Dell laptop. We run OSX,XP, and various distro's of Linux on our little network and all see each other and use the same network AIO printer. I think kids should be exposed to all the OS's available. I like and dislike things about each OS. I sure hope this teacher researches this strange technology called Linux.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #23
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
I saw that he owned Helios from the blog. However, I doubt handing out disks to grade schoolers is going to get a lot of parents to convert. If anything they might learn a skill about an OS they otherwise would have no access to, which would be a good thing, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
funny the only times i've shut my pc down in the past 6 months when windows or an apple product i have installed has made me restart. People who are saying windows isn't a stable OS either don't know what they are doing or haven't used it since ME. Is it the best no, not by a long shot. what is? I don't know. however I do want to give linux a decent shot
Windows Vista isn't as bad as apple fanboys claim it is, but it's by no means great. I've had multitudes of problems with it since I switched. Nothing serious, just lots of annoying little issues.

If your curious about Linux but afraid about messing up your computer, wubi is a great way to try Ubuntu risk free. Ubuntu is the most popular distro these days, fairly easy to use, and wubi installs it just like a normal windows program. Don't like it, can't get used to it, no problem. Boot into windows and uninstall.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #24
rhdad42

I can only quote one of my favorite musicians, the late, great Frank Zappa:

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say that there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
Old 12-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #25
GoatLocker
Dr of Quantum Inebrionics

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Cohiba Navy (Active)
GoatLocker has disabled reputation

Considering where this is posted and the ridiculous content of the supposed e-mail, does anyone honestly believe this "teacher" really exists? This is no teacher, it is a Strawman that the author uses to support his anti-MS rant. I'm throwing the bullshit flag...
Old 12-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #26
maddman

going with goatlocker with this one, BS away.

I do like Linux though, CentOS FTW