Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Humidor Build Idea.

I have no idea where I got that pic, Jamie. I've had it on my computer forever.
The RyJ humi is cool, but it really doesn't stoke me like the one you pictured above.
Your pic is better, I can see two strings or whatever they are. That's helpful. Thanks, brother!!!

Ya know, the more I look at that pic of yours, I don't think these humis open and fan out the trays for you. You may have to lift them into position yourself with the friction from that suspension cable holding each tray in place. I just immediately assumed it'd fan when the lid was opened, but now I'm not so sure at at all.

Last edited by shilala; 04-10-2012 at 05:10 PM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Bag it....move on, pal.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #23
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

I think it fans when the top is opened. The string is secured to the top of the lid.

Brad, don't encourage him. He's got more woodworking equipment than he needs. He needs to test those skills.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I've been thinking, Jamie, and it'll work the way we've been attacking it.
I have to consider that this one doesn't fan on opening, there's nothing that indicates that the front of the trays will lift. The "strings"could get gathered up by a spring reel (like a retractible keychain thing) rather than fold. They look doubled. That would indicate a friction-type approach.
Mind ya, I'm with you. I'm just looking at all possible options.
I wish I could stand in front of one of these for five minutes. Better yet, I'd like to buy one, work it all out, and make it better. That'd save me time.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #25
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
It's a most unique piece - I think it's a desk top design 100%. It also looks the the capped end goes in first and butts up against the tapered hole end with the foot greeting the opener. It's funny that only the first and last rack has the half moon extension piece near the end of the stick for maximum support. From it's size, it looks like it's designed for one type of cigar (or two), mainly a churchill or double corona - suggested by the longer extension of the half moon supports. As far as connectors, small chain would 'fall' better when closed, but I can see it getting caught between the tray pieces, unless if it's on the inside or outside of each tray. The design looks like cloth, but I can see if bundling up and possibly causing the lid not to close, especially mounted where pictured, on the front of the tray. Maybe some way to incorporate an accordion type hinge or concertina hinge, either on the inside or outside of each tray. This style would also give rigidity. I would also opt for the half moon outer supports for all of the trays instead of the outermost two.

I guess you took the photo, Scott - or was it an Internet picture? I'm curious the price on your pictured model.

I also found this Partagas model:

Also, check out this RyJ one. Another skill tester for you. Looks like it wouldn't seal very well.

I bet none of them are cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I have no idea where I got that pic, Jamie. I've had it on my computer forever.
The RyJ humi is cool, but it really doesn't stoke me like the one you pictured above.
Your pic is better, I can see two strings or whatever they are. That's helpful. Thanks, brother!!!

Ya know, the more I look at that pic of yours, I don't think these humis open and fan out the trays for you. You may have to lift them into position yourself with the friction from that suspension cable holding each tray in place. I just immediately assumed it'd fan when the lid was opened, but now I'm not so sure at at all.
From this thread. According to the OP, its $1500 euro. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...t=cool+humidor
Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #26
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
Trading: (22)
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

Scott, ive talked to you plenty in the past, as a stranger, and then as a friend, and then met you at shack..

you seem like not only a standup guy, but quite a logical guy if i say so myself.. But why on earth would you build a humidor that is so illogical, lol

ive seen that humidor picture kicked around the internet over the past few years, and i just shake my head when i see it

and i know i know, you like to build stuff, and thats awesome because ive seen your work.. Which is why id be sad if you built this.. Not JUST because its illogical, but because it means something ELSE that you WOULD build would not be built.. hehe

Devils Advocate?
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #27
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonS View Post
Scott, ive talked to you plenty in the past, as a stranger, and then as a friend, and then met you at shack..

you seem like not only a standup guy, but quite a logical guy if i say so myself.. But why on earth would you build a humidor that is so illogical, lol

ive seen that humidor picture kicked around the internet over the past few years, and i just shake my head when i see it

and i know i know, you like to build stuff, and thats awesome because ive seen your work.. Which is why id be sad if you built this.. Not JUST because its illogical, but because it means something ELSE that you WOULD build would not be built.. hehe

Devils Advocate?
It's a niche thing, Ron. Someone would love to have it on their office desk.
Actually, I think it'd appeal to a lot more people than not. Most guys who smoke cigars keep maybe a box or a little humi, unlike the way we do here.
In the right wood and proper finish, filled with Cohibas, I can't imagine anything more badass sitting on a great big desk overlooking Central Park.
It'll make someone VERY happy, and that's why I build all the silly stuff I build. I own exactly one piece that I've ever built. A winador beside my desk. It was a prototype and it's really rough. So much so that I'd never sell it or gift it away. I keep it because it'll always remind me.
Plus this thing is a huge challenge, and there are umpteen components that I can create toolpaths for in the CNC and use them later.
I still haven't decided to build it, actually. It'll be down the road if I do. I have tons of stuff I need to do before I have time to mess with it if I ultimately decide to.
Getting input is really helping iron this out in my little brain, and I pretty much have it solved. I already figured out how the backside works, I just need to figure out the front side, and that'll just take a quick mock-up out of pine.
We'll see what happens.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #28
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

hey, you did ask somebody to talk you out of it.. LOL
Old 04-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #29
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonS View Post
hey, you did ask somebody to talk you out of it.. LOL
If that doesn't work, about 3 days of banging my head on it should do the trick.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #30
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
If that doesn't work, about 3 days of banging my head on it should do the trick.

sounds like a typical week for me at work.. lol