Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #41
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hyper Mileing

For the sake of your fellow drivers, please only do this where you can safely and easily be passed.

I almost scratched my truck on a front porch today when I had to pass a "hyper miler" by going over a few lawns.
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #42
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlmeter View Post
For the sake of your fellow drivers, please only do this where you can safely and easily be passed.

I almost scratched my truck on a front porch today when I had to pass a "hyper miler" by going over a few lawns.
I go the speed limit+++ so maybe "mileage aware" is the more appropriate term.

Got 21.7 coming back from the post office to the office. No full stops at 3 intersections, used neutral more after getting up to speed. Seems the paddles will up shift to 2nd and 3rd at 1400 rpm manually vs around 2000+ in automatic. Think these things made a difference.

Will see on the way home.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #43
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WheelVFR View Post
The S2000 with 4.57's still got 25 mpg...and that was with multiple, daily 9000 rpm shifts. I need another one, but it won't fit in the garage...yet.
Believe it or not, I average around 20mpg driving the vette HARD (99% of the time) and if I just cruise on the highway at 80mph, I can average close to 30mpg! Big gearing, light weight, aerodynamic and buckets of torque can be very friendly on the highway.

Its funny when someone in an old SUV which gets 12mpg sees me at the gas station and asks "what's that thing get for mileage?" and I tell them about twice theirs!

I love my 435HP tree-hugging, economical, grocery-getter.
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #44
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
...lay off the gas as much as possible, accelerate a little more smoothly and coast a bit more to buffer the ebb and flow of traffic.
I started doing this after the price of gas shot up. I read somewhere that you should drive as though you have a hard boiled egg between your foot and the accelerator. You are allowed to crack the shell, but not allowed to squish the egg.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #45
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Valentine One

Saved my ass more times than I can count.

http://www.valentine1.com/
I've lost count of how many times my Beltronics has paid for itself.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #46
nozero

I average 2? mpg in my WRX T/R. But since the price of gas has dropped and it's so much fun to drive....
Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #47
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

I have a 160 hp race chip in my 10K pounds of American made diesel drinking F350. Not made for hyper mileing -

Gets 18 mpg while embarrassing souped up rice burners from light to light -

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #48
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Noticed that on the way to the bank as i got there had gotten 12.8 MPG. Paid attention and with no real changes other than keeping my rpms down and forcing upshifts with the paddles at 1750 RPM got 18.9 on the way back.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #49
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Klugs View Post
Noticed that on the way to the bank as i got there had gotten 12.8 MPG. Paid attention and with no real changes other than keeping my rpms down and forcing upshifts with the paddles at 1750 RPM got 18.9 on the way back.
You sure you weren't going downhill?
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #50
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I get 15mpg in the Envoy while I'm smoking a cigar, lounging in my giant heated seats, listening to my ipod at mind-numbing volume.
I don't even have to pay attention or nothing, still 15.5 mpg.
I can't imagine giving up all that comfort and power to get 12.8 mpg on the way to the bank. That'd make me crack.

What's that thing gotten over the life of the car?
Since I got my Envoy it's 15.5 mpg. I've wondered how the Prius really does cause I hear a lot of folks griping.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #51
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlmeter View Post
You sure you weren't going downhill?
Only in my use of pithy comebacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I get 15mpg in the Envoy while I'm smoking a cigar, lounging in my giant heated seats, listening to my ipod at mind-numbing volume.
I don't even have to pay attention or nothing, still 15.5 mpg.
I can't imagine giving up all that comfort and power to get 12.8 mpg on the way to the bank. That'd make me crack.

What's that thing gotten over the life of the car?
Since I got my Envoy it's 15.5 mpg. I've wondered how the Prius really does cause I hear a lot of folks griping.
Audi A8L, 350 hp V8, is pretty comfey as well.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #52
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Audi A8L, 350 hp V8, is pretty comfey as well.
Atta boy.
I can't imagine stuffing my fat ass in a Prius.
I'd need some grease and a big shoehorn. I had to drive those little cars when I was a kid. I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to doing it all over again.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #53
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Quote:
Atta boy.
I can't imagine stuffing my fat ass in a Prius.
I'd need some grease and a big shoehorn. I had to drive those little cars when I was a kid. I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to doing it all over again.
The thread title is misleading. Just my lil way of amusing myself with experimenting with how my driving style impacts mileage. It's been interesting how little changes (limiting RPM not speed) can have big impacts on city MPG. Big changes can have additional impact... rolling stops, using neutral etc.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #54
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
The thread title is misleading. Just my lil way of amusing myself with experimenting with how my driving style impacts mileage. It's been interesting how little changes (limiting RPM not speed) can have big impacts on city MPG. Big changes can have additional impact... rolling stops, using neutral etc.
I was confused so I went back and read some more and I get it now.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #55
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Quote:
I was confused so I went back and read some more and I get it now.
He he.

Re the Prius, I rented one a few weeks ago in MD to see what was what. Not the compact car of our youth. Pretty roomy due to its jelly bean shape. Lots of width and leg room. I was surprised. Got 48 MPG just flogging it and going 80 on the highway was overall pretty impressed. A blinged out version/better looking car might be tempting. Like the concept of regenerative braking in any vehicle to help the city MPG. If you look at the newly released Mercedes they use a battery no larger than the normal one to do the duty and a generic inline electric motor. More performance and better mileage = a good thing.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #56
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
He he.

Re the Prius, I rented one a few weeks ago in MD to see what was what. Not the compact car of our youth. Pretty roomy due to its jelly bean shape. Lots of width and leg room. I was surprised. Got 48 MPG just flogging it and going 80 on the highway was overall pretty impressed. A blinged out version/better looking car might be tempting. Like the concept of regenerative braking in any vehicle to help the city MPG. If you look at the newly released Mercedes they use a battery no larger than the normal one to do the duty and a generic inline electric motor. More performance and better mileage = a good thing.
I looked at the great big Tahoe Denali Hybrid.
All that tech cranks out a whopping 17mpg.
I like a lot of metal and I enjoy feeling like I'm driving my living room to the store. If they get around to building an STS that gets 30mpg, it might pique my attention. Otherwise I'm trapped in the stone-age.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #57
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Valentine One

Saved my ass more times than I can count.

http://www.valentine1.com/
Thanks. I'm looking into getting one.

I managed to get my mixed city/freeway up to 19.8, which is better than the 18 mpg I was getting, but I still think I can do better.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #58
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Quote:
I looked at the great big Tahoe Denali Hybrid.
All that tech cranks out a whopping 17mpg.
I like a lot of metal and I enjoy feeling like I'm driving my living room to the store. If they get around to building an STS that gets 30mpg, it might pique my attention. Otherwise I'm trapped in the stone-age.
Thats really my interest in all this. I get 27 on the highway which is pretty good for a 5000 lb car. City is the issue. Adding a lil hybrid stuff to this type of car at a small premium in cost would make lots of sense and is going to happen much faster than anyone thinks. Just enough to get you going 30-40 mph till the next stop/regenerate is a huge opportunity for improvement.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #59
Langod
NH Masshole

First Name: Jim
Trading: (3)
Punch
Langod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Be aware that coasting in neutral with most modern automatic transmission cars will actually hurt your mileage. (I don't know if this is true with maunal transmissions too) A modern automatic -- when you are coasting with your foot off the gas, will drop into a mode where it only fires cylinders frequently enough to keep the engine spinning, but while in neutral, it actually uses more gas because it's at a full idle. You can see it on some car's computers -- my wife's Subaru Legacy shows the mpg meter max out at 99.9 mpg (which means it's probably higher) while coasting in gear as opposed to about 65mpg on the same hill/speed while in neutral.

Noticed my Maxima seems to get better mileage in gear also. (tough to tell for real -- no computer display).

I just do it to save more gas money for my '03 SVT Cobra -- has a supercharged V8 that I've gotten down to 2mpg whilst "driving spiritedly". (it normally gets about 18-20mpg around town, though)
Old 11-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #60
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langod View Post
Be aware that coasting in neutral with most modern automatic transmission cars will actually hurt your mileage. (I don't know if this is true with maunal transmissions too) A modern automatic -- when you are coasting with your foot off the gas, will drop into a mode where it only fires cylinders frequently enough to keep the engine spinning, but while in neutral, it actually uses more gas because it's at a full idle. You can see it on some car's computers -- my wife's Subaru Legacy shows the mpg meter max out at 99.9 mpg (which means it's probably higher) while coasting in gear as opposed to about 65mpg on the same hill/speed while in neutral.

Noticed my Maxima seems to get better mileage in gear also. (tough to tell for real -- no computer display).

I just do it to save more gas money for my '03 SVT Cobra -- has a supercharged V8 that I've gotten down to 2mpg whilst "driving spiritedly". (it normally gets about 18-20mpg around town, though)
Have read the same things re neutral. Not the case on my Audi. Runs at 1100-1200 RPM while in gear and I think the AWD comes into play re the efficiency. In neutral, drops to 800 rpm. Huge difference in the Mpg and the "feel". Closest thing I can think of is my old 70's Saab with the "freewheel" option. Seems much less transmission drag is the difference coupled with the lower rpm.

Got 10.5 on the way to work. I was late and hittin it!