Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #21
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Thanks. OK, howabout I rephrase that to 'park' it somewhere that I can get better than the very minimal return I have at the bank in a Money Market? I have no problem leaving it, but would like to be able to get to it if the SHTF
If a situation arose where the SHTF on a large scale (national crisis, global crisis), you wouldn't be able to get your money out in time without taking a beating, or even worse case, it would be worthless once you got it out. Personally, I feel that if cash money is rendered worthless for some reason, then it's pointless to care about any other investments anyway

If a more personal crisis arose and you needed money **today**, you would need cash or cash-equivalent money funds to be able to withdraw them immediately. Any other sort of investment trade will take at least a day to process and deliver funds. It's just how brokerages work: to get the best prices and values, they consolidate by grouping large numbers of the same investment together for larger trades.

Many large investment brokerages offer short term loan services against your portfolio though, so you could initiate a sale immediately, and they could set up a cash advance against that sale for a flat fee or percentage of interest. Usually this is a pretty high interest rate, but it's compounded daily, so you only eat 3-6 days of interest build-up. Since they know you have the liquidity to back it when the trade goes through, it's a very low risk loan for the brokerage to make, and they get to make a dime off of you. I had to do this once and only got hit for ~$50 on a substantial sale.

I would speak with a couple CFAs from different brokerages and see what kinds of options they offer. Every company has different means and methods, but what you're asking about is not uncommon in the realm of investments, especially for retired persons.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #22
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

The Fed is making everyone take more risk to get a decent return. By holding rates at these historic lows, retirees have to make tough decisions when their T-Bills mature.

Lot's of conflicting information on this. Traditional fight between bulls and bears with vested interests embeded in all views.

Pay attention to PE ratios.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #23
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

The markets are confusing the hell out of me :/

I sold on Friday of last week expecting a down week due to correcting. Yesterday did correct downward - but today so far is sitting about flat. Any thoughts or ideas on what we can see over the next few days?

Note; I know it is all speculation. Just curious if I am really far off base or if it is something that other investors share a fear of.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #24
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
The markets are confusing the hell out of me :/

I sold on Friday of last week expecting a down week due to correcting. Yesterday did correct downward - but today so far is sitting about flat. Any thoughts or ideas on what we can see over the next few days?

Note; I know it is all speculation. Just curious if I am really far off base or if it is something that other investors share a fear of.
Posted via Mobile Device
There it goes. Down 1.5% on the day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote