Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 06-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #161
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
I am a little disappointing that they did not show any of the battle. Seems like they might not have had the $$ to properly put on a battle scene.

As for a book six or seven, I sure as hell hope he can wrap it up with six. R.R. Martin is a pretty old fat dude, and I doubt he could last long enough for too many more books, it would really piss me off if he pulled a Robert Jordan. Tolken pulled it off in four books, what is wrong with these new guys? Don't get me wrong I love the story, but it should not take over 10k pages it tell it.
There are seven planned books right now, I doubt that he will take a book away, if anything he'll add more books, that's how these authors roll! He is old though, and I agree, he better not dilly dally and die before he finishes. I think now with the show he has a reason to htfu and finish it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Loved Ned's character, but knowing ANYONE is fair game to die makes the story that much more intriguing. This is not Harry Potter, and I'm glad.

On a separate note, I now oddly find myself rooting for The Imp ...
The Imp definitely becomes one of my favorite characters in all the books. The fact they cast his character so perfectly bodes well that he'll be a favorite in the tv series as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
I hear that Tyrion is going to do something unexpected either in the next episode or the next season/book.
He does a lot of unexpected things, all of which are awesome I can't remember specifically what he's got up his sleeve in the near future though...it's been a few months since I read the first book.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #162
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Slightly off topic...

Sean Bean is a badass in real life too. Dude gets stabbed, refuses treatment and goes back into the bar and orders another drink!

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #163
kickerb

haha, that is great. i hope he put a hurtin' on the other guy!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #164
Wanger

Sean Bean is a badass!

On a series related note, I hope Joffery dies a horrible and slow, painful death. I definitely don't like that character, and he just looks pretty damn creepy, IMO.

Daenerys Targaryen...yes please.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #165
Humpdebump
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chris
Trading: (1)
Humpdebump is on a distinguished road

Just watched the latest episode and WOW. I'm like the rest of you not liking Ned getting killed. It seems like all the good guys die and the bad guys get out of everything. What a great series though. I have a question without any spoilers if you can. I k ow that this Sunday is the series finale, I was wondering if it's also the end of the book 1 as well or will season 2 also be part of book 1, or will it be book 2.
Humpdebump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #166
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpdebump View Post
Just watched the latest episode and WOW. I'm like the rest of you not liking Ned getting killed. It seems like all the good guys die and the bad guys get out of everything. What a great series though. I have a question without any spoilers if you can. I k ow that this Sunday is the series finale, I was wondering if it's also the end of the book 1 as well or will season 2 also be part of book 1, or will it be book 2.
From the preview it looks as if the series will end as book 1 did and it leaves everything wide open and a big to be continued for sure. The ending is going to be cool but leaves no doubt the story continues.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #167
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Peter Dinklage and Sean Bean are the only reasons I watched this show. Their characters are/were great.....

I despise, almost violently...that stupid little bastard boy king. He has a face you could just punch endlessly. Also the queen "lena Headey" has the worst acting on the show and is very annoying as well. "King Joffery?" Sounds like a prime and proper king *wheres the sissy smiley*

Seems also kinda stupid that it looks like Drogo is dead for sure. See they went on saying how bad@$$ he is and before we could see him kill more than like 2 people he goes out like b!tch to a paper cut.

I think I'll finish up this season and call it quits. It looks like what could have been a great show is already over IMO.

I don't care what the reason is you don't kill off the main character and best actor on the show. That makes ZERO sense. Who are they going to market for the 2nd season? They have no one.

This one will only go 2-3 seasons. Mark my words.

/end rant (sorry, I'm so annoyed by TV these days)
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #168
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

There really aren't a lot of main characters in the books, all go to very unexpected places in the story, well the ones that survive anyway. The story changes, turns, and twists and I'm only in the last part of the second novel.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #169
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Peter Dinklage and Sean Bean are the only reasons I watched this show. Their characters are/were great.....

I despise, almost violently...that stupid little bastard boy king. He has a face you could just punch endlessly. Also the queen "lena Headey" has the worst acting on the show and is very annoying as well. "King Joffery?" Sounds like a prime and proper king *wheres the sissy smiley*

Seems also kinda stupid that it looks like Drogo is dead for sure. See they went on saying how bad@$$ he is and before we could see him kill more than like 2 people he goes out like b!tch to a paper cut.

I think I'll finish up this season and call it quits. It looks like what could have been a great show is already over IMO.

I don't care what the reason is you don't kill off the main character and best actor on the show. That makes ZERO sense. Who are they going to market for the 2nd season? They have no one.

This one will only go 2-3 seasons. Mark my words.

/end rant (sorry, I'm so annoyed by TV these days)
It is all just following the book. Makes you want to go up to George R.R. Martin and give him
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #170
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnake View Post
It is all just following the book. Makes you want to go up to George R.R. Martin and give him
A vicious beating? Yes

I'm not sure they know how TV works......you cannot off the guy on the front of the cover/advertisement in the 9th episode of the first season.

Would you watch Sopranos if Tony died in the first season? I doubt it.

Would The Wire be the best show ever if they killed McNulty off in the 9th episode? Nope, the 10th episode would be the end of the show.

Books or no books IMHO they just f*cked themselves. We'll see if I'm right, only time will tell.

What they did here was use Sean Bean, they used his name, his fame, to sell their show and now they are hoping people watch it without him. They will lose viewers for this.

They really have to realize half the people watching the show never read the books. So they don't care if it follows the books or not. Hell I didn't even know there was books for this show. That's how little it matters if you follow them.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #171
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
. . . Hell I didn't even know there was books for this show. . . .
There are books?

Just caught this thread and have been enjoying the series so far - but I do hope the little bastard ends up with pole run through him from the rear up.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #172
Humpdebump
Adjusting to the Life

I agree that killing off what seems to be the main characters is bad tv. I haven't read the books but I will continue to watch to see if some of the other characters get theirs. But it will be hard if there are no main characters to follow except for the ones you despise.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #173
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Bring in the necromancers!
Old 06-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #174
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
A vicious beating? Yes

I'm not sure they know how TV works......you cannot off the guy on the front of the cover/advertisement in the 9th episode of the first season.

Would you watch Sopranos if Tony died in the first season? I doubt it.

Would The Wire be the best show ever if they killed McNulty off in the 9th episode? Nope, the 10th episode would be the end of the show.

Books or no books IMHO they just f*cked themselves. We'll see if I'm right, only time will tell.

What they did here was use Sean Bean, they used his name, his fame, to sell their show and now they are hoping people watch it without him. They will lose viewers for this.

They really have to realize half the people watching the show never read the books. So they don't care if it follows the books or not. Hell I didn't even know there was books for this show. That's how little it matters if you follow them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpdebump View Post
I agree that killing off what seems to be the main characters is bad tv. I haven't read the books but I will continue to watch to see if some of the other characters get theirs. But it will be hard if there are no main characters to follow except for the ones you despise.
Obviously if you haven't read the books you might think that killing off the main character is bad for the show, but you have to understand that killing Ned was an integral part of the series. The rest of the story can't happen with him alive. As much as it sucks, because Sean Bean is awesome, you've got to understand that he isn't the "main character" as there are 20 "main characters". The 20 characters are the only ones that have the story told from their perspective.

On the other side, if the TV series decided to deviate from the storyline and not kill Ned, the entire series would've been decried as "crap" by all the fans who read the books, and would've changed the rest of the series direction. They would've lost their core fanbase and that would've been far worse than losing a couple people who were upset that they killed off Ned.

Anyway, yeah, Joffery is a little douchebag, and some of the characters that are hated now (Jamie, also to a certain extent Tyrion just because he's a Lannister) become characters you actually care about and are sympathetic towards. It might seem like all the douchebags in this series are winning, but everybody gets theirs in one way or another.

So, long story short, it would be a shame if you quit watching the series at the end of this season...some of the best parts of the story are yet to come.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #175
Humpdebump
Adjusting to the Life

I'm definetly not quiting the series, I think the show is awesome, just sucks that characters you like die. Just watched season finale and won't spoil, but I thought it was great. The only thing that sucks is at the end when it said that season 2 is in spring of 2012, WTF.......
Old 06-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #176
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

With all HBO shows, there isn't a set schedule, where shows come on in the fall and end in the late spring.

As a fan of the books, the show continues to be done very well. Very much looking forward to Storm of Swords.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #177
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Yeah, I cannot imagine waiting to find out what happens between books for anybody who's just watching the show or was reading the books as they came out (they were VERY far spaced apart). It was bad enough for me waiting between chapters much less a year between seasons That's how television rolls though! Oh well
Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #178
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

I want a funking DRAGON!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #179
JDTexan
College Football Fanatic

First Name: Justin
Trading: (3)
JL
JDTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
I want a funking DRAGON!
Me too! Great Finale.
JDTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:58 PM   #180
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

If it weren't for the dragons I would have chalked up the finale as a piece of crap. However the dragons have me intrigued......but I dunno if that will be enough to ever get me to watch another episode.

If they kill that fruity king joffery please PM me so I can watch his head get chopped off in 1080p slow motion instant replay.

Same goes for the Queen.