Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #41
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Apple's iPad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
hey if he likes it then all power to him.
I'm not saying I'm a fan; I'm just saying it's pretty much what I expected it to be.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:53 AM   #42
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

If you were expecting a pad netbook, then you're probably not impresses.

Apple is in the business of selling content and apps through mobile devices. This is another product that accomplishes this.

Once I watched the full presentation I can see where this is a fit for certain people.

The idea of ipad only apps on steroids will eventually make or break this.

It needs a video camera and robust chat feature to truely make it a bridge device between a touch and netbook/laptop. A SD slot and USB port would be great (never happen though)

I'm interested to see if it will be jailbroken and hacked to run OSX. (new chip dependant)

I'll wait for next gen and the price break.

It will kill the Kindle long term if the book store can't match the content of Amazon. (I own a Kindle 2 as reference). Either way the cost of books will come down with competition.

All and all for $100 more than the iPod touch it's not that bad (16 gig less though) of you don't need the pocketability.
0002S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 AM   #43
Resipsa

This device is going to kill the Kindle in any event, the Ibook store doesn't need to beat the prices of the Kindle store. There's already a kindle app for the iphone that will work with the ipad, if somebody wants to buy ebooks from the amazon store all they need to do is use the kindle for iphone app.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #44
Resipsa

Now this is cool:

http://gizmodo.com/5458498/apple-now...-calls-be-next
Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #45
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
This is cooler!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI

In all seriousness once the iPad gets unrestricted (multitasking and VOIP ) things will be better...but it is just a bigger iPhone. $5 says the next gen will have a USB port...then the 3rd gen will have HDMI output, 4th gen multitasking...and people will just keep on buying every level.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #46
Resipsa

Quote:
This is cooler!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI

In all seriousness once the iPad gets unrestricted (multitasking and VOIP ) things will be better...but it is just a bigger iPhone. $5 says the next gen will have a USB port...then the 3rd gen will have HDMI output, 4th gen multitasking...and people will just keep on buying every level.
Uh yeah, that was hilarious

you should really let people know a link isn't safe for
work when you post it
Old 01-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #47
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Sorry Vic...I didn't it was not safe for work...that skit is from 2007 I think.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #48
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
This is exactly why I'm not an early adopter anymore.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #49
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
This device is going to kill the Kindle in any event, the Ibook store doesn't need to beat the prices of the Kindle store. There's already a kindle app for the iphone that will work with the ipad, if somebody wants to buy ebooks from the amazon store all they need to do is use the kindle for iphone app.
Unless the text is clearer on the iPad than it is on the iPhone this will not be a Kindle killer.

The readablity of the Kindle far outstrips the iPhone. Staring at a iPhone reading a book is an eye-killer. Plus the Kindle is half the cost of the basic iPad.

If the iPad ever incorporates the e-ink technology then it would be a Kindle killer.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #50
Resipsa

Quote:
Sorry Vic...I didn't it was not safe for work...that skit is from 2007 I think.
No problem bro. Just wanted to get a warning out there
Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #51
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Unless the text is clearer on the iPad than it is on the iPhone this will not be a Kindle killer.

The readablity of the Kindle far outstrips the iPhone. Staring at a iPhone reading a book is an eye-killer. Plus the Kindle is half the cost of the basic iPad.

If the iPad ever incorporates the e-ink technology then it would be a Kindle killer.
Actually, the kindle dx is the same price, which would be the closest match in screen size.

We can agree to disagree, no problem there. One trick ponies very rarely last for long once alternatives hit the street in the tech world. The fact that e ink is a little easier on the eyes isn't going to mean much when dedicated ebook readers are monochrome, very slow to
refresh, incapable of doing video based on poor refesh rates, can't run other apps, etc.

I want some kind of tablet that handles all of my needs, both business and personal. Could wind up being the Ipad, could be one of the Android or Windows tablets that are going to appear soon

The requirement for me is that it be a tablet, and the screen be at least in the 10 inch range, preferablly a little bigger. Not interested in a netbook, smartbook, laptop or anything else, for work related reasons it needs to be a tablet, and preferably, needs to do more than just show me a book.
If it's not e ink that's a tradeoff I'm very willing to make, and most people are going to feel the same way.

Last edited by Resipsa; 01-28-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #52
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post

Wouldn't the size difference indicate that it would be easier to see/clearer on one of these than an iPhone?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #53
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
I want some kind of tablet that handles all of my needs, both business and personal. Could wind up being the Ipad, could be one of the Android or Windows tablets that are going to appear soon
An Android Tablet....now that would peak my interest...free apps..and prob less restrictions.

I've always loved the tablet idea but the key is the apps and the perfect tablet size...
Old 01-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #54
Resipsa

Quote:
An Android Tablet....now that would peak my interest...free apps..and prob less restrictions.

I've always loved the tablet idea but the key is the apps and the perfect tablet size...
They're coming......

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/08/m...tegra-chipset/
Old 01-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #55
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'd rather pay a couple bucks each for my choice from a couple hundred-thousand apps than have my fill of a few hundred free crappy ones.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #56
fishstix

personally my take on this is that this may actually compete in the laptop margin.

I mean I bought my laptop due to space constraints along with ease of carrying while mobile. I can have a computing machine with decent graphics that plays all my games and operates all my programs, however, as a media machine it works great but size is still a major factor here.

If Apple can actually pull this off where I can get a media machine (plays movies and music decently) backed with the "basic" functions my laptop performs (i.e. minimalsitic web browsing, e-mail) and fits it in an easy to use yet compact enough size then why not?

I own a 1st gen touch and have no reason to get rid of it (due to its size), but one cannot overlook the funcionality that this thing might be able to perform and the different niche's that this thing can fill.

Is it a media machine = yes - is it an IPOD = no (due to size).
Is it a full blown laptop = heck no, will it perform the DAILY needs I use my laptop for = yes, and then some.

As far as a kindle killer, we'll have to see what happens. hardcore kindle users have their strong likes for the product. if Apple (or an associated open source program) can design a reader for it that can produce the "softness" that the kindle delivers for e-books texts they'll definately do well.

I wont be lining up to buy one but will definately look into it. heck I'll probably wait until vajacases decides to make a full blown protective case for them before I pick one up.

Either way, I like the concept for what I can do with it vs the other devices I currently own.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #57
Calexan

G4 was claiming that the 10hr claim was while it was connected to 802.11n and watching video in 720p format.... Dont know much else, thats just what they were saying.

I think no multitasking is a disaster.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #58
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Multitasking is an update away. The no camera is a bummer, but not a deal breaker for me. The accessory to plug into a full keyboard is sweet, but I'd never use that since I have a macbook. The thing looks sweet, and I think it will kill the kindle and nook. Apple's OS is amazing and there is no way a nook or kindle can compete when the iPad will probably be a better stand-alone ebook reader, and then when you add all the apps and internet ..... there is no match.

I will probably wait for the next generation one before I consider getting one.... I think it is cool, but don't have much of a reason for one right now. I would want a bigger HDD, too
Old 01-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #59
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I'd rather pay a couple bucks each for my choice from a couple hundred-thousand apps than have my fill of a few hundred free crappy ones.
I concur..if there is an app worth paying for I'd then pay for it..but it's nice to have the options of free apps.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #60
jkim05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (17)
PL
jkim05 is on a distinguished road

I want one. Just because. I already have an Iphone, Ipod nano, a netbook, two desktops, a laptop, etc., but I really wanted to get an Itouch just for the heck of it. Now I could get this instead, though I will wait probably for the 2nd gen or at least more reviews before I buy.
jkim05 is offline   Reply With Quote