Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about
Default Anybody attending the Seattle Cigar Expo?

http://www.seattlecigarexpo.com/

I know it seems a bit pricey, but I'll probably go anyway. I've never been to this kind of event, so curious enough to go check it out.

Just wondering if anybody else from CA has signed up.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anybody attending the Seattle Cigar Expo?

I have thought about it, but the expense is kind of killing it for me. I have been to events like this for other industries, and I suspect it is basically an advertising event for the cigar makers. If that is the case, entry fees should be lower so that they can hand out more sticks to more people and get their product out there. I don't really want to subsidize their ad event.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Trading: (62)
papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post

I know it seems a bit pricey, but I'll probably go anyway. I've never been to this kind of event, so curious enough to go check it out.

I'm going. Know the folks putting it together. Should be a killer event!!
papajohn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I am trying to convince the wife that it is important
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Sherlockholms

Not I, but it sounds like fun!
Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

IMHO that's outrageous for what will amount to an advertising blitz and a CRA membership. You can buy quite a few decent smokes and a bottle of great liquor for that kind of money. Pass.

Which, by the way, where the heck was CRA when the WA state law to outlaw cigar smoking in public places was on the ballot and eventually passed..?? Crickets, from where I sit......
Old 07-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromHere View Post
IMHO that's outrageous for what will amount to an advertising blitz and a CRA membership. You can buy quite a few decent smokes and a bottle of great liquor for that kind of money. Pass.
Looks like a ticket also includes quite a few decent smokes, wine, liquor and food. I guess I'll find out. My oldest son is even flying out to go with me. Should be a good time, even if it's not a great budget value
Old 07-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

<--- This guy is jealous. I looked at flights this morning Ken... $319 RT out of Atlanta. Probably not a good idea with the newborn.

Quote:
Looks like a ticket also includes quite a few decent smokes, wine, liquor and food. I guess I'll find out. My oldest son is even flying out to go with me. Should be a good time, even if it's not a great budget value
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road

How much is admission? I read the site a bit but couldn't find a number.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
How much is admission? I read the site a bit but couldn't find a number.

http://www.seattlecigarexpo.com/tickets/
Old 07-12-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I hope you and your son have a great time, Ken. My oldest, my Marine will be in town about the same time. I think we'll stick to pillaging my Staebell cabinet and liquor supply.....
Old 07-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
J&J cigars

Sorry if we were vague about this event ladies & gentlemen. This event is to benefit Cigar Rights of America and Cigar Association of Washington. This is what you get for the purchase of the ticket.

VIP ticket will get you pre-party, the event and post party.
Pre-party at Brouwer's Cafe from 6 to closing on the 19th. It will be hosted by Tatuaje, La Palina and Xikar. The gift back for the VIPs will include cigars from Tatuaje, La Palina, lighter from Xikar and a full bottle of high end wine from Goose Ridge. At the party one will get full dinner from Brouwer's and open bar from 6-9 PM! You will party with about 20 manufacturers, like Rocky Patel from Rocky Patel, Bill Paley from La Palina, Dion Giolito from Illusione...etc.

At the event it self, the VIP will enter one hour before general admission and will receive 15 plus cigars, spirit sampling tickets (we have like 10 different spirit makers), wine sampling tickets (Goose Ridge Estate) and three food sampling coins. The Restaurants will include people like Crush, El Gaucho's, Via tribunali, Waterfront Grill....etc. The who's who of top Restaurants.

At the event, we will have lot of raffle prizes and also premier cigar retailers from our region, such as Rain City Cigars, Tobacco Patch, Tinder Box, Smokey Joe's......etc. There will be bands, burlesque shows and LUXURY Lifestyle retailers.

There will be smoking at the Seattle Center and we will have classy smoking Lounges set up with nice comfortable leather chairs. It is going to be a blast!!!

For General Admission: It is same as the above mentioned event part, but it will be from 1 pm-8 pm. One hour later than the VIP admission. Everyone will have chance to hang out with manufacturers, smoke, drink and sample fine cuisines.

Speaking of Post Party for the VIPs, it will be held at the Vertigo Club. Hosted by Illusione Cigars, Preimer Mundo Cigars and Crush. You will party with roughly about 20 Manufacturers and eat foods provided by Jason Wilson at Crush. Smoke Dion's and Sean's cigars with them.

I know this is lot of information, I hope it clarifies everyone's concerns. By the way, VIP tickets are almost sold out, just for your information.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Sounds like its gonna be one heck of a great time. If I lived closer and had some liquid cash, I'd attend. A nice way to meet vendors and sample some product.

The Don Abram Harris Cigars would be a vendor to check out if I was to attend. Looks like an interesting cigar. It appears a local B&M in the Beverly Hills area carries some of their blends, so will have to check that out the next time I'm in the BH area!

Have a great time Ken
Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Appreciate the additional information. Jon and I have our VIP tickets confirmed You only live once

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&J cigars View Post
Sorry if we were vague about this event ladies & gentlemen. This event is to benefit Cigar Rights of America and Cigar Association of Washington. This is what you get for the purchase of the ticket.

VIP ticket will get you pre-party, the event and post party.
Pre-party at Brouwer's Cafe from 6 to closing on the 19th. It will be hosted by Tatuaje, La Palina and Xikar. The gift back for the VIPs will include cigars from Tatuaje, La Palina, lighter from Xikar and a full bottle of high end wine from Goose Ridge. At the party one will get full dinner from Brouwer's and open bar from 6-9 PM! You will party with about 20 manufacturers, like Rocky Patel from Rocky Patel, Bill Paley from La Palina, Dion Giolito from Illusione...etc.

At the event it self, the VIP will enter one hour before general admission and will receive 15 plus cigars, spirit sampling tickets (we have like 10 different spirit makers), wine sampling tickets (Goose Ridge Estate) and three food sampling coins. The Restaurants will include people like Crush, El Gaucho's, Via tribunali, Waterfront Grill....etc. The who's who of top Restaurants.

At the event, we will have lot of raffle prizes and also premier cigar retailers from our region, such as Rain City Cigars, Tobacco Patch, Tinder Box, Smokey Joe's......etc. There will be bands, burlesque shows and LUXURY Lifestyle retailers.

There will be smoking at the Seattle Center and we will have classy smoking Lounges set up with nice comfortable leather chairs. It is going to be a blast!!!

For General Admission: It is same as the above mentioned event part, but it will be from 1 pm-8 pm. One hour later than the VIP admission. Everyone will have chance to hang out with manufacturers, smoke, drink and sample fine cuisines.

Speaking of Post Party for the VIPs, it will be held at the Vertigo Club. Hosted by Illusione Cigars, Preimer Mundo Cigars and Crush. You will party with roughly about 20 Manufacturers and eat foods provided by Jason Wilson at Crush. Smoke Dion's and Sean's cigars with them.

I know this is lot of information, I hope it clarifies everyone's concerns. By the way, VIP tickets are almost sold out, just for your information.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
<--- This guy is jealous. I looked at flights this morning Ken... $319 RT out of Atlanta. Probably not a good idea with the newborn.
Hal, you fly out, and I'll pick up the VIP admission!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:43 AM   #16
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Hal, you fly out, and I'll pick up the VIP admission!
Just do it Hal
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:52 AM   #17
BillyCigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromHere View Post
Which, by the way, where the heck was CRA when the WA state law to outlaw cigar smoking in public places was on the ballot and eventually passed..?? Crickets, from where I sit......
The WA state smoking ban was enacted in 2005. Cigar Rights of America wasn't even founded until 2008...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott
I have thought about it, but the expense is kind of killing it for me. I have been to events like this for other industries, and I suspect it is basically an advertising event for the cigar makers. If that is the case, entry fees should be lower so that they can hand out more sticks to more people and get their product out there. I don't really want to subsidize their ad event.
Hi Mychal! It's actually not an adertisement for manufacturers at all. It was designed as a grand event for Seattle cigar smokers to congregate on one day and support the grassroots CRA organization. They need support from manufacturers, cigar smokers, retailers, etc. If none of the manufacturers could be bothered to support the cause and/or attend, how many of us - the general cigar smoking public - would bother coming?

It's obviously a great cause - certainly to get an event like this in Seattle city limits proper, and right underneath the Space Needle to boot. You can't imagine the hurdles that the organizers of this event have had to jump through. I mean, it's not only WA state; it's Seattle/King County. I digress.

I'm obviously a little biased here since I'll be there but this is already looking better than a Big Smoke. General Admission tickets for the Big Smoke in Vegas (no weekend seminars, just the rushed, cram packed, 3-hour cattle line) runs $250. You get a bunch of cigars, maybe something to nosh on, hopefully a tilt or 2 of some bourbon or scotch, and then you're whisked out the door.

And actually for me to compare the 2 isn't fair because it's apples and oranges. The Seattle expo provides a 6 hour time frame, comfortable leather seating areas, a chance to mingle, enjoy yourself, catch some entertainment, take part in supporting a worthwhile cause while we still can before we all end up circling the legislative drain as cigar smokers, the ability to sample some of the finest food from the top restaurants in Seattle, an assortment of stellar cigars, a whole bunch of great wines and liquors to try, seminars and speakers, an opportunity to talk with manufacturers, etc. But the magic that those outside of WA state likely aren't able to fully appreciate is - it's happening in downtown Seattle

I don't mean to come off like I'm trying to sell tickets or anything. Just wanted to help clarify a couple points. Hope to see some of you there!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #18
ysr_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Is that pesos? How much is that in American money?

Pass !!!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #19
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

After re-reading the site -- I am now thinking about going... Have to see what the hotel and everything will cost.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #20
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Hello, Bill great to see you back on here! After your and J&J's post this is sounding more like a great event, and less like the ad expo I was expecting. You have answered many of my questions, thank you very much for the reply. I need to work the time out with my wife but I am thinking a VIP ticket may be in my future. Thanks again for all the great information.

How much of the proceeds are projected to go to the CRA?