Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default The Tower Humidor

Been awhile since anyone has posted a thread asking for tips. I am thinking about getting this one (in the Cherry):

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_cabin..._HUM-2000.html

Anyone have one and can tell me the pros/cons?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Tower Humidor

it seems that this one does not come equipped with a humidification device
Old 10-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

All I know is once you get it setup I get to come and rummage through it like a hobo looking for Booze.
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Been awhile since anyone has posted a thread asking for tips. I am thinking about getting this one (in the Cherry):

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_cabin..._HUM-2000.html

Anyone have one and can tell me the pros/cons?
My tip is to save your money and buy a quality piece of furniture and craftsmanship from Aristocrat or Avallo. I own an Aristocrat and strongly endorese Bob Staebell and his craftsmanship and customer service but I have heard the same feedback about Avallo.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 363 View Post
But they have that as an add-on option. Don't know if that add-on price is a good deal or not as I use passive humidifcation in all my humidors, even in my cabinets.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I had a friend who had that particular model and I know he ended up having to do some cutting and tweaking inside to get the humidity right from top to bottom. Once he did that it worked very well for him for many years until he sold it to upgrade to an Aristocrat. The Aristocrats are in a whole other league both in quality and price. This should work fine if your looking for a cabinet on a budget.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

If you get it, I'd recommend the Humi-Care XG1000 you can get on the devil site for <$90 if you shop around. It's worked great in my cabinet.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 363 View Post
I have a LARGE Hydra just dying to be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaneG View Post
All I know is once you get it setup I get to come and rummage through it like a hobo looking for Booze.
You're invited!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I had a friend who had that particular model and I know he ended up having to do some cutting and tweaking inside to get the humidity right from top to bottom. Once he did that it worked very well for him for many years until he sold it to upgrade to an Aristocrat. The Aristocrats are in a whole other league both in quality and price. This should work fine if your looking for a cabinet on a budget.
Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
If you get it, I'd recommend the Humi-Care XG1000 you can get on the devil site for <$90 if you shop around. It's worked great in my cabinet.
I have a Hydra

Peter, I tried to quote you 3'x, should have just used the little quotation at the top, but I was trying to be clever.

Anyway, I hear you about the Aristocrat, and I would love to go that route, but they are so expensive.....but if I get anymore negative responses like Neoflex, I just might go that route.

Thanks, keep em' coming guys + & -'s
Old 10-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Peter, I tried to quote you 3'x, should have just used the little quotation at the top, but I was trying to be clever.

Anyway, I hear you about the Aristocrat, and I would love to go that route, but they are so expensive.....but if I get anymore negative responses like Neoflex, I just might go that route.

Do you have Bob's url? Long story but Google at work has died and I am waiting on a new computer, they removed ALL my bookmarks and his was one of them.
http://aristocrathumidors.com/

I understand how expensive they are. The point I was trying to make is that when you reach a certain point in spending bigger bucks on a cabinet humidor, you might as well go all out. If you are going to spend $600-$700 at Cheap Humidors, why not be a bit more patient, save a bit longer and get something really nice. People spend a whole lot of money on cigars and then look to skimp on the humidor and storage accessories.

I went from a small 40 count desktop to 2, then 3, 40-70 qt. coolers and then to my Aristocrat.

Best of luck no matter which route you choose.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
http://aristocrathumidors.com/

I understand how expensive they are. The point I was trying to make is that when you reach a certain point in spending bigger bucks on a cabinet humidor, you might as well go all out. If you are going to spend $600-$700 at Cheap Humidors, why not be a bit more patient, save a bit longer and get something really nice. People spend a whole lot of money on cigars and then look to skimp on the humidor and storage accessories.

I went from a small 40 count desktop to 2, then 3, 40-70 qt. coolers and then to my Aristocrat.

Best of luck no matter which route you choose.
Thanks for the url, ya beat me to it before I could delete it, I wasn't thinking and after I posted this I went to my phone....duh!

You are right Peter, Right now I have a Trunkador and a 48 Qt cooler and thinking about starting another cooler, + I have 3 desktops (currently not being used, but going to reseason the biggest soon) waiting on the Aristocrat is def the way to go, now just have to be patient, and that is not my strong suit.

Thanks again for making me see the light.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

I have this exact model. Bought it about 3-4 years ago for a killer deal and use a cigar oasis II in it. I have had absolutly no issues with it except moving it because it weighs a ton. With that being said i have long been eyeing up a nice Arisotcrat and plan on getting one in the near future. You just cant beat the quality and craftsmanship.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
gnbikes
Feeling at Home

First Name: Garry
Trading: (3)
RyJ
gnbikes is on a distinguished road

I have this unit that I bought off Craigslist last year. It had never been used because it came with broken glass. The seller had new tempered glass installed and I paid $300 for it. I don't know that I would have paid $800-$900 for it shipped, but it does just fine. The Cigar Oasis works ok, but i also have about 3 lbs of Heartfelt beads through out the unit. They really help stablize the humidity. My lady is very glad to be rid of the coolers...
Garry

Last edited by gnbikes; 10-18-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: added line
gnbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
planetbetter
when are we smoking?

First Name: STEVEN
Trading: (0)
RA
planetbetter has disabled reputation

I have a similar one: http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_cabin..._HUM-1000.html, and I really like it, but for some reason the humidity on the bottom is different than the top, always. I tried different things to no avail. Sometimes as much as a 6 percent difference, but right now only 2 percent. 66 and 64. My endtable humidor (antietam) is smaller but has no fluctuations.
planetbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Mickey, I had the same exact model you posted.
While it served me well, I wish I would've skipped the step and went straight for the aristocrat.

I had very few issues with the tower, but I was always sinking money into it.
I started with the Hydra, then some beads,I added weatherstripping, then the fan kit for the hydra, then more beads.
I bought cedar singles trays, because I outgrew the draws.
Then I outgrew the trays and had Waxing moon build me a cabinet insert.
By the end, the door had come a little loose, and the screws would no longer tighten up.
I had it for less than 2 years.

While it was never a total disappointment, it was never perfect.
Like I said, it served me well, but an aristocrat is a whole other level.
And another thing, If you think you will never outgrow that tower, think again!

Last edited by jonumberone; 10-19-2012 at 09:40 PM.
jonumberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Mickey, that is the exact model I have, but mine is the cherry finish. I've never had issues with it holding humidity or leaking. Has plenty of room for my smokes, and there's no way I can afford an Aristocrat, even if I wanted to. I paid 300 for mine from a buddy. Looks great in my living room.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

So torn.........I appreciate all the input though guys.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I have the same tower Mickey. If you do buy it, just go in knowing it is what it is. Mine does a decent job. In winter I have to add some form of active humidification due to the drier air from the furnace being on. Otherwise it does just fine with a couple lbs of beads. I did go buy longer screws for the door hinges. They use too short of screw and they will start to pull out.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:12 AM   #18
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Do you still use it Bob or have you upgraded?

Hell now I am thinking about the Winedor......ugh
Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #19
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I'm still using it. No plans to upgrade to anything different at this point.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #20
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I'm still using it. No plans to upgrade to anything different at this point.
How long have you had it just out of curiosity?