Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
gijoey959

Default finally getting around to my project humidor

So for those of you who remember me asking for bands when I joined, I've finally found what I want to base my humidor off of!

I have been going back and forth on what to do, from freezers to vinotemps, and just buying a pre-made humidor, but I felt like I was paying too much for something that won't be big enough after a while.

Well, I was finally giving up and just gonna buy another cooler when I looked over and saw my wobbly 'ol corner TV cabinet. It was like being punched in the face with an idea. I never considered it since it was just a crappy old piece of furniture my parents didn't want, but now I hope to transform it into a humidor sometime in the future.

Now before I get started, I will post pictures tonight or tomorrow, it really doesn't matter since it will only resemble the cabinet in shape when I'm done

My questions are:

Is Plywood ok for the outside?
Where can I find spanish cedar wood for the lining?
How should I join corners on the outside and inside?
I want to do a flip open top, how would I get a seal with that configuration?
If I wanted to put a glass/acrylic pane on some part, how would I seal that?
Should I water proof or treat the plywood in anyway?

Oh and the cabinet is made of particle board, probably medium density and low grade

I asked these questions somewhere a little more wood work oriented, but I figured asking here would get a more specialized answer instead of general wood working

Thanks, I'll post my, probably slow, progress as it happens