Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default TV Issue

Bought at 60" Sharp Aquos at the end of September from Best Buy. Things were great, had it for a week before leaving for Italy for 3 weeks. Get home, watch it for a few weeks and then out of no where the TV starts to have a white flash appear at the top of the screen. It is completely random and doesn't do it consistently. I tried calling Sharp, they had me do some factory reset stuff, thought the problem was fixed but my wife said she saw the tv do it a few more times last night. Called Sharp again today and they said they would search around and try and find someone in my area come out to look at it. Im keeping my fingers crossed but pretty pissed a TV I don't even have paid off yet is effed up.

My question is this: Has anyone experienced this before? I did switch from Comcast to the Comcast X1 but my other two tvs don't have this issue. Has anyone had luck with Best Buy exchanging a TV even though their return policy is 15 days? Any ideas would be great.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: TV Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
My question is this: Has anyone experienced this before? I did switch from Comcast to the Comcast X1 but my other two tvs don't have this issue. Has anyone had luck with Best Buy exchanging a TV even though their return policy is 15 days? Any ideas would be great.
Does the problem also happen when you play a DVD or HD-DVD on the Sharp? If so, then it's likely the TV. If not it might or might not be the TV.

You can try moving the cable boxes around between the TVs and see if the problem follows the receiver.

If the receiver is also a DVR, anytime you see the flash, stop, "rewind" and look for it again at that spot. If you see it, it's not the TV, it's either the provider signal and it was recorded to the disk or the DVR hard disk is becoming corrupted.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I haven't seen it, but a couple of suggestions.

1. When it happens, see if you can video it for documentation.
2. Check the load on the power circuit. Move items off the circuit or check the load if you know how.
3. If you happen to have any amateur radio users in the neighborhood, try checking with them to see if you can line up the glitching with their use. It is the responsibility of Sharp (and thus you) to not interfere with the radio signals, per FCC rules.
4. Go to Home Depot (or whatever) and get a power adapter for your plug. Or you can do like I do and get a conditioning line filter.

I use this power strip for my electronics - expensive but works amazingly well:
MFJ AC Line RFI Filter Model MFJ-1164B
Old 12-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Does the problem also happen when you play a DVD or HD-DVD on the Sharp? If so, then it's likely the TV. If not it might or might not be the TV.

You can try moving the cable boxes around between the TVs and see if the problem follows the receiver.

If the receiver is also a DVR, anytime you see the flash, stop, "rewind" and look for it again at that spot. If you see it, it's not the TV, it's either the provider signal and it was recorded to the disk or the DVR hard disk is becoming corrupted.
It happens when I use my playstation 3 to watch Netflix. I haven't actually played a DVD on it yet but will pop one in tonight or tomorrow and see.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
It happens when I use my playstation 3 to watch Netflix. I haven't actually played a DVD on it yet but will pop one in tonight or tomorrow and see.
I would check to see if it's repeatable at that same spot in the movie that you are streaming. If it is, move the PS3 to a different input and see if it follows or try a new cable. If it persists, try the other. If it is still happening, try the PS3 on a different TV.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

I recently had this issue with my Samsung 60" lcd and it was the cable to the TV from the DVD Player
Old 12-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

The PS3 would be a totally different HDMI cable and a different HDMI input, so if both of these were showing the same problem, it would seem to be a TV issue. I think if you go to BB and talk with a manager and tell them your story, they'd be willing to work with you.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I don't get a 'flash', per se, but I do get a 'small' (maybe 2 inch) translucent 'dot' every couple days. It lasts for less than a second and comes in twos and threes -- never in the same spot, thankfully. I'm not at all sure its the TV (70" LG), but it is quite the enigma. I thought I was seeing things until my wife started noticing it, also.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
I recently had this issue with my Samsung 60" lcd and it was the cable to the TV from the DVD Player

Did you just replace the cable with a new HDMI? It didn't flash when you were watching tv just DVDs?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
dijit
Have My Own Room

dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Did you just replace the cable with a new HDMI? It didn't flash when you were watching tv just DVDs?
Correct replaced with a higher quality HDMI cable and it only did it when watching DVD's
Old 12-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
dijit
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
I don't get a 'flash', per se, but I do get a 'small' (maybe 2 inch) translucent 'dot' every couple days. It lasts for less than a second and comes in twos and threes -- never in the same spot, thankfully. I'm not at all sure its the TV (70" LG), but it is quite the enigma. I thought I was seeing things until my wife started noticing it, also.
I think you needs to call Ghost Hunters I think your TV is haunted!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #12
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Finally got my tv exchanged at BB last night after a royal pain in the ass back and forth with Sharp. I get the tv home, start watching it and WTF the white flash appears again on the new tv. Royally annoyed. I called Comcast this morning and they are letting me swap out my HDMI cable and X1 cable box but if this doesn't solve the issue I am out of ideas. I just don't get how two tvs could be screwed up but yet my friend who has the same one works perfectly fine. I have two seprate HDMIs, one for the Comcast and the other for the playstation 3 but notice the white flash while watching Netflix using the ps3 as well. Is there some sort of setting to adjust on an LED tv that I am not aware of that can fix this? End of rant, thanks
Old 12-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #13
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

Are both of the HDMI cables the same for the cable and PS3? They both might be bad or low quality.
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #14
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkDrew View Post
Are both of the HDMI cables the same for the cable and PS3? They both might be bad or low quality.
They are different brands. One of the HDMI cables was used on a prior 42" TV with no issues but is probably a year and a half old. The other cable was provided by Comcast when they installed the X1
Old 12-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #15
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Just out of curiosity, you did check the outlet to make sure that the ground was properly attached, right?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #16
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Just out of curiosity, you did check the outlet to make sure that the ground was properly attached, right?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #17
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

Also from a quick google search I found similar issues when using an Apple TV and the same Sharp aquos, one guy went into the settings and turned off motion enhancement and that took care of it.
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #18
grateful1
testing

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
grateful1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Finally got my tv exchanged at BB last night after a royal pain in the ass back and forth with Sharp. I get the tv home, start watching it and WTF the white flash appears again on the new tv. Royally annoyed. I called Comcast this morning and they are letting me swap out my HDMI cable and X1 cable box but if this doesn't solve the issue I am out of ideas. I just don't get how two tvs could be screwed up but yet my friend who has the same one works perfectly fine. I have two seprate HDMIs, one for the Comcast and the other for the playstation 3 but notice the white flash while watching Netflix using the ps3 as well. Is there some sort of setting to adjust on an LED tv that I am not aware of that can fix this? End of rant, thanks
When I turn on my older Sharp...it sometimes has a white line all the way across the top. I shut it off and turn it back on...all better.

It infrequent but happens.
It's old enough now where it's not a concern.
Years ago when I researched it...there was not much to find.
grateful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkDrew View Post
Also from a quick google search I found similar issues when using an Apple TV and the same Sharp aquos, one guy went into the settings and turned off motion enhancement and that took care of it.
I think I have that turned off but will double check tonight, thanks.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:38 PM   #20
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post

Never considered that an option but the last tv never had an issue in that outlet.