Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #21
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Re: Re-Upped my Cigar Oasis (picture intensive)

I still dont understand how you will be keeping humidity lower than ambient during the moist months. As Silhound said, he is using PG to accomplish this task. If ambient humidity rises to 80%, how will turning off the Oasis remove the excess humidity? During the winter your system should work great, but I am concerned with the warm humid months.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #22
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I still dont understand how you will be keeping humidity lower than ambient during the moist months. As Silhound said, he is using PG to accomplish this task. If ambient humidity rises to 80%, how will turning off the Oasis remove the excess humidity? During the winter your system should work great, but I am concerned with the warm humid months.
I experienced problems with my mold in my Set-n-Forget reservoir when I first purchased my cabinet. I quickly switched from the distilled water, wick system to the watersorb polymers. It worked great for a while, but I still had some issues reducing the RH in my humi. Then I switched to beads and never looked back.

Let us know how it works out for you. In lieu of copper, you can also add a small amount of grain alcohol to the polymers to inhibit the growth of mold.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #23
Bear
Just an other FNG

First Name: Marc
Trading: (4)
RA
Bear has disabled reputation

Quote:

If I had to guess, the ambient humidity doesn't get too high where the OP lives (OH) even in the warmer months. I could be wrong though...
I wonder how big the humi is. Is this a cabinet or a desktop (a CO would be overkill for the standard desktop IMO)? If the seal is less then ideal, his set up should work no problem especially if he's in and out of it on a regular basis.
Bottom line IMO is that even if you put a glass of water in your cabinet humi, the RH won't spike like mad due to the lack of air circulation being forced over the surface of the water. I don't see how this would be any different.

Now, with that said, if the temp & ambient humidity gets high in the warmer weather you might run into problems keeping your RH low enough. In the OP you mention that beads weren't doing the trick for you... my is keep them in there anyways as they'll act as a desiccate should you ultimately need it.

Canadian Roll Call
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #24
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
If I had to guess, the ambient humidity doesn't get too high where the OP lives (OH) even in the warmer months. I could be wrong though...
I wonder how big the humi is. Is this a cabinet or a desktop (a CO would be overkill for the standard desktop IMO)? If the seal is less then ideal, his set up should work no problem especially if he's in and out of it on a regular basis.
Bottom line IMO is that even if you put a glass of water in your cabinet humi, the RH won't spike like mad due to the lack of air circulation being forced over the surface of the water. I don't see how this would be any different.

Now, with that said, if the temp & ambient humidity gets high in the warmer weather you might run into problems keeping your RH low enough. In the OP you mention that beads weren't doing the trick for you... my is keep them in there anyways as they'll act as a desiccate should you ultimately need it.

I have the same humi as the OP and I run a hydra and I have a few ounces of beads in there as well. I never wet down the beads. They're just in there to mitigate any spikes in humidity and to keep the humidity down during the summer. I find the combination of the two work perfectly. Beads to keep the RH from getting too high and a hydra to keep the RH from getting too low!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #25
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

wow, yeah, puttign beads in there will be perfect to keep it from going to high, Whammy!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #26
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
In lieu of copper, you can also add a small amount of grain alcohol to the polymers to inhibit the growth of mold.
so my choices to help prevent mold are:

1. 80 proof vodka
2. Copper
3. PG

is that correct? assuming i am going to use either vodka or PG... how much should i use?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #27
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

Try to find some "EVERCLEAR" , pure grain alcohol , even states on the label that it is not recommended for human consumption . I never knew it was on the label til one of my friends left the empty in his trunk , his mother found it , we were all 17 - 18 years old , Man did she lay into us , Wow , I can still here her screaming " what are you all nuts?" We used to make Jungle Juice with Hawaiin Punch and Everclear .
Bubba - NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #28
DonnieW
I'm around...

First Name: Donnie
Trading: (11)
Partagas
DonnieW has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
so my choices to help prevent mold are:

1. 80 proof vodka
2. Copper
3. PG

is that correct? assuming i am going to use either vodka or PG... how much should i use?
To simply prevent mold using PG, you don't need much. 20% max (i.e. 8 parts water to 2 parts PG). Bear in mind PG doesn't evaporate much, if at all.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #29
Darrell

Quote:
i got the heartfelt 65% amd they jsut didn't do the trick.... that's why im here
You're it. I think.

Seriously.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #30
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

VODKA WARNING!

Vodka will lend a definite sweet taste to your cigars on the wrapper. If you use alcohol, go with the grain alcohol.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #31
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
VODKA WARNING!

Vodka will lend a definite sweet taste to your cigars on the wrapper. If you use alcohol, go with the grain alcohol.
I use strawberry daiquiri mix.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #32
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

what ia defined as "grain alcohol" that can be had at a "licka sto"??
Old 12-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #33
cf2112

Quote:
what ia defined as "grain alcohol" that can be had at a "licka sto"??
Everclear
Old 12-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #34
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

they don't sell it in ohio. what about gin? i own alot of gin, hehe
Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #35
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Come to the Cincinnati Herf and pick some Everclear up from TPS
Old 12-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #36
Heliofire
Ward Photographer

Trading: (14)
Bolivar
Heliofire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
PM Sent.
Heliofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #37
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
I use a Cigar Oasis in my cabinet too and I also keep beads in there just to help keep things regulated in the summer months just in case. More often than not if your dealing with a large capacity humidor and it's well stocked your Rh should not drive too far on the high side even in the summer months, but it is good to have a fail safe.
Thanks for the tip on the Oasis, I will have to try this mod over the holiday since I am due for a new cartridge.

Last edited by neoflex; 12-16-2008 at 08:27 AM.
neoflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #38
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

I have been running my two units full of gel for over 6 months now. They are much lower maintenance than the floral foam was. I am very happy with my results.

The pictures have been moved, but you can read about it here:

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=142963

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #39
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

bobarian:

Here's a post I made a while back on CS about silica gel and PG. Hope it helps to clarify about the effectiveness of combining them. And if the ambient RH is too high, dry gel crystals can always be added to wick out moisture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silound
Here's a brief rundown for you:

Propylene Glycol is a diol alcohol (a type of organic alcohol), meaning it contains two hydroxyl groups in it's chemical structure, and it has an asymmetrical carbon atom. Because of this, the liquid is hygroscopic, meaning that it has a natural ability to attract water molecules from the surrounding environment. Because PG is also fully miscible (term that means the property of liquids to mix in all proportions, forming a homogeneous solution), it will eventually release moisture into the air when the relative humidity drops below that of the PG solution's proportion of water.

Purchased PG solutions are mixed at approximately 60-40 distilled water/PG. Because there is already water in the solution, the PG has attracted and mixed with it. In other words, PG solution is water AND PG, so it sets a baseline for the PG to balance at around 70%. This is why if you add PG solution to an already well humidified environment (70+%), it takes a little more time to balance out than if you added it to an environment nearer 70% RH.

The gel (crystals in Xikar humidifiers) that you wet with PG solution is simply a silica that absorbs and extrudes water based compounds, hence organic alcohols like PG that are water based. When combined, the gel will absorb the PG solution, which will in turn attract water from the surrounding environment, or eventually give it up to humidify the air.

The silica beads are similar to the gel in function (chemically different though). They are also a desiccant, which means they will also absorb humidity from the air. Depending on the chemical bonding order of the atoms, various forms of silica have various absorption levels, rates, and capacities.

The one myth to debunk. Plan silica gel or beads do NOT "extrude" moisture. Rather when the ambient humidity drops below a point, the beads simply dry out as the humidity is wicked back out of them. The bonding order and surface area of the silica used determines how fast they lose humidity (or gain it).

Because of PG's natural willingness to "give off" moisture, silica gel and PG solution will help bring humidity UP faster, while silica beads will take longer to lose moisture. Dry beads will always trump dry gel to remove excess moisture, and that I don't have a real good answer to.

Anyway, hope that helps some!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #40
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

can anyone confirm if Gin would work well as the "Grain alcohol" needed to sterilize the gel?