Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #121
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation
Default Re: Delivery Pizza Complaints

I was a restaurant manager for 15 years. I also cooked, waited tables, bussed tables, did dishes, etc. This has made me OCD about tipping. I never blame the waiter/waitress/delivery person for problems in the kitchen. If they handle the problem correctly, they get the same tip as if everything was perfect. If the kitchen messed up the order bad enough, I'll take it up with the manager. It's not the server's fault. I tend to tip in the 30-60% range. My problem is that my wife and I have some cheapskate friends who take out a calculator and compute a 15% tip no matter how good the service was. I then feel obligated to increase my tip to make up for their cheapskatedness.

MCS
Old 03-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #122
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
I was a restaurant manager for 15 years. I also cooked, waited tables, bussed tables, did dishes, etc. This has made me OCD about tipping. I never blame the waiter/waitress/delivery person for problems in the kitchen. If they handle the problem correctly, they get the same tip as if everything was perfect. If the kitchen messed up the order bad enough, I'll take it up with the manager. It's not the server's fault. I tend to tip in the 30-60% range. My problem is that my wife and I have some cheapskate friends who take out a calculator and compute a 15% tip no matter how good the service was. I then feel obligated to increase my tip to make up for their cheapskatedness.

MCS
For, "average" service I'll just double the tax and round it to the nearest dollar. Better service = better gratuity. There's been times I tip more than the meal.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #123
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
My problem is that my wife and I have some cheapskate friends who take out a calculator and compute a 15% tip no matter how good the service was. I then feel obligated to increase my tip to make up for their cheapskatedness.

MCS
I hate that. My S.O.'s family is like that. So I tend to tip for the whole table.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #124
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
And I dont know about the restaurant you work at, but every restaurant that I know of tip outs are based on percentages, 10% busboy, 15-20% bartender is the standard around this area. So if the server has a bad night tip wise they arent taking money out of their pockets to tip out. I believe Lumpy was saying something similar.
Moe, question...

I'm guessing that kitchen staff typically never gets a percentage? It's always just those in the server/floor positions?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #125
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Moe, question...

I'm guessing that kitchen staff typically never gets a percentage? It's always just those in the server/floor positions?
In my experience, correct Adam. Back of house and Front of house are typically two different pay scales.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #126
Lumpold
Hippy Fascist

First Name: Lumpy
Trading: (3)
Cuaba
Lumpold has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Moe, question...

I would also guess that with the exception of pot-wash, kitchen staff are earning 1.5x, 2x or even 3x the base wage waiting, bar and floor-staff are getting

In the UK, waiting tables, working bar and floor staff are all minimum, or just above minimum, wage (£6/hr), whereas chef/Microwave Technicians will start at £8.50-£9/hr with basic training in place (i.e. vocational qualifications at a minimum).

TAMF,PPAB,ETWWWUTL,LITMPTYCL
Lumpold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #127
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

MCS
They need a calculator to compute a 15% tip. That may be the problem, Scott.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #128
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Old 03-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #129
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Quote:
They have to figure it to the penny. It's very embarrassing sometimes.

MCS
Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #130
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
In my experience, correct Adam. Back of house and Front of house are typically two different pay scales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpold View Post
I would also guess that with the exception of pot-wash, kitchen staff are earning 1.5x, 2x or even 3x the base wage waiting, bar and floor-staff are getting

In the UK, waiting tables, working bar and floor staff are all minimum, or just above minimum, wage (£6/hr), whereas chef/Microwave Technicians will start at £8.50-£9/hr with basic training in place (i.e. vocational qualifications at a minimum).
Thanks.

That's kind of what I thought, but having no restaurant experience, I wasn't sure.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #131
Stephen
Sultan of Cigars

First Name: Stephen
Location: Where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended.
Trading: (18)
Stephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura aboutStephen has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
They have to figure it to the penny. It's very embarrassing sometimes.

MCS
I've got a good size lump of coal here. If I ship it to you, think I could get a diamond out of the deal?
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #132
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Since were sharing stories...
My wife and I were in Vegas about 3 years ago. My best friend was the kitchen manager at a restaurant, so we went in to visit him.
While waiting for our food and while talking to my friend, I saw a waitress walk by with a tray carrying 4 mixed drinks (daquiri types in tall glasses.) She manages to dump the entire tray on me. And then proceeds to aploogize to the table whose drinks she spilled. Didn't say a word to me. Then walked off.
My friend was already going to comp our meal (because he always does) but I was a little upset that I'm standing here soaking wet and didn't even receive an apology. The floor and kitchen are kept separate, so my friend has the floor manager come out to talk to us. We barely get an apology, so my wife insists that the least he could do was give me a replacement shirt since they had a gift shop and my current one was soaking wet. He seemed a little surprised by the request, but agreed. It's surprising what some people consider as good customer service.

On the other hand, I've had at least two of the opposite.
While at a steakhouse, I found a small piece of plastic in our dessert. Spoke to the manager, and he gave us his card and wrote on the back: 1 free appetizer and 3 free desserts. One dessert for each of us.

Another time in Vegas (different restaurant), we were having trouble getting the attention of our waitress, so my wife finally yelled out "excuse me," a little loud. This was after 3 times of her passing by us without ever looking our way. Apparently the owner was sitting nearby having lunch and saw, so he comped our entire meal. We offered to pay, but the waiter apologized for the incident and said that the owner wouldn't allow it.

On each account, we still left at least a 25% tip. I've never worked in a restaurant, but because of my friend above, I've always left a decent tip.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #133
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Going to order a some Pizza hut right now. Going to pick it up though. Stupid delivery charge.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #134
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like some of y'all must need a new pizza joint. The two we use are awesome. Only ever had one problem and they made good on it within minutes.

Edit: and you gotta have onions on your pie, man.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #135
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

[quote=Blueface;1210422]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post

Why?

See my prior post.

You don't eat what the guy unloading wood or tile at your house brings.
You don't eat what Fed Ex brings (generally and when you do, it is totally sealed).

You tip him if he came promptly and brought you a hot pizza, looking the way you expected it.
You tip him to make sure the next time you order and he remembers you, you are not the last guy on his route and get a cold pizza.
You tip him because generally, base pay is a minimum that sucks.
I use to get $30 for the night, working from 5 p.m. until past midnight to 1 a.m. at times.
I had to supply my own gas.
I had to risk my car and insurance.
I had to incur additional maintenance on my car.

My true livelihood depended on tips, which made the night worthwhile for me.
As such, I killed myself to reward those customers I knew would reward me.
Food for thought. Pun intended.
Funny how that works, huh Carlos? There is a lesson in those few words that can apply to many, many situations one encounters in life.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #136
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Going to order a some Pizza hut right now. Going to pick it up though. Stupid delivery charge.
one word... Sammys.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #137
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
Double the sales tax..
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #138
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

My wife and I are both doing the full time school full time work thing, and hardly ever cook anymore, so we go through a lot of pizzas. I also order pizza a lot at work for lunch, since we only get 1/2 hr lunch break. We order from Pizza Hut, Papa John's and a couple of local Mom and Pop shops. I gotta say, I have never had a complaint about any of the service. I have ordered dozens of pizzas in the last year, and each one has been hot and on time.

With one exception: We ordered on Halloween night. The driver was attacked/pranked by a group of high school kids. Not injured but very shaken up. Our pizza finally got to us like 2 hours later and it was cold, but free. I even tried to tip the kid, as he had to deliver to a 3rd floor walk up, but he wouldn't take anything. They did call us to let us know that there were problems and that it would be free. No biggie, 10 minutes in the oven and it was good as new, and that was a very rare circumstance that was entirely out of control of the pizza place. We have ordered from them many times since without incident.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #139
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
one word... Sammys.
You had to rub that one in. The gf doesn't like it, so I don't get to order it. I on the other hand adore the Sammy's Special (sausage, green pepper, onion).
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #140
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
You had to rub that one in. The gf doesn't like it, so I don't get to order it. I on the other hand adore the Sammy's Special (sausage, green pepper, onion).
Of course.... if you don't like Savoy down in the old Harbor joint... HAHAHAHAAAAAAA

Their pizza doesn't suck at all either.