Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
T. Douglas Hall
Man about town

First Name: Taylor
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
T. Douglas Hall is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Humi Project

Hi All!

Due to my recent filing of my return on the Idiot Tax (ie- I won big on the lotto), I finally have the funds to begin a project that I have had in mind for a while. I want to build my own end table-style humidor (yes, build it myself, not purchase one, I like the idea of the DIY ethic). My idea, at least in my mind, is to have something kinda space age looking while having space for a few boxes and many individual cigars. On the top of the humi, I want to either polyurethane or plexiglass over my collection of cigar bands. As I am not a carpenter by trade, I have been doing some research on woodworking and, specifically, building a humidor, but most of what I have found is very vague or seemingly from an unreliable source. So my question to the community is has anyone else done a project like this, and, if so, do you have any advice on how to proceed with this project or any things to avoid? I know that I'll need at least 3/4" of spanish cedar for the inside of the box, but I am unsure of what type of wood to use for the outside to achieve that space age-y look, what type of electronic humidification works best and any other recommendations you may have.

Thank you all in advance for your support and I will certainly post pictures and my advice once I begin this massive undertaking
Old 09-25-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: DIY Humi Project

I know there are a few wood workers on here. Hopefully they will have some advice.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Wow, 3/4" of Spanish Cedar? I don't think that would be the minimum that you would need. You could build the entire thing from that much if you wanted. Build yourself a cabinet out of anything you like. Oak, Ash, MDF. Seal the inside with Poly and then put yourself a nice liner of Cedar on the inside. That way you're not breaking the bank on the looks. I have seen entire boxes make from Spanish Cedar and they do look nice, though.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
bigunit66
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Andy
Trading: (0)
bigunit66 is on a distinguished road

Look at different specialty wood suppliers (google it) and pick something that you like. I like cocobolo but it is pretty spendy but sure is perdy...
bigunit66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

yeah, 3/4" spanish cedar lining is WAY overkill. I lined mine with 1/4" and most are shipped with 1/4" lining.

An end table is relatively clear as to the size you are looking for. What do you plan on doing in regard to interior shelving?

For humidification, you have two options, really. Either you can buy some beads or you can take a step up to active humidification. If you decide to do the route of active humidification, you should contact Bob Staebell at Aristocrat Humidors. His system is awesome.

Design, then build the cabinet out of the wood you want to use. Then, line it with spanish cedar.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

1/4"? My old Avallo only had 1/16 (if that)veneer over the mdf. I would have considered keeping it if it actually had 1/4 ...
Posted via Mobile Device
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
Justinphilly

While I have no clue on Spanish cedar or thickness, Bob Staebell is the way to go with his "Set and Forget" Systems.