Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Man gets a ticket for being a good samaritan

This is absolutely asinine, a bus driver pushes two of his elderly passengers out of the way of an oncoming truck. Wakes up from a coma and discovers he got a ticket for jaywalking.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090226/...ritan_ticketed

800th post
Old 02-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Man gets a ticket for being a good samaritan

Wow!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
This is absolutely asinine, a bus driver pushes two of his elderly passengers out of the way of an oncoming truck. Wakes up from a coma and discovers he got a ticket for jaywalking.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090226/...ritan_ticketed

800th post
Wow... thought this had to be an article from "The Onion." People have zero common sense anymore.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

First Name: Robert
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
Sawyer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
Wow... thought this had to be an article from "The Onion." People have zero common sense anymore.
Yeah, why were these people trying to cross a busy street in a snowstorm against the light? Was there not an intersection? If you cross in the intersection with the light there is no cause for a ticket. Talk about zero common sense.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Yeah, why were these people trying to cross a busy street in a snowstorm against the light? Was there not an intersection? If you cross in the intersection with the light there is no cause for a ticket. Talk about zero common sense.
Are you justifying this ticket when he potentially saved the lives of two elderly women and in the process ended up in the hospital?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

Montecristo

Quote:
Are you justifying this ticket when he potentially saved the lives of two elderly women and in the process ended up in the hospital?
No, I am saying they are all dumb for trying to cross a busy street in a snowstorm against the light. Does he deserve a ticket for it? Probably, since this is one of the reasons there is a law against jaywalking.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
No, I am saying they are all dumb for trying to cross a busy street in a snowstorm against the light. Does he deserve a ticket for it? Probably, since this is one of the reasons there is a law against jaywalking.
Indeed, next time stay on the bus and drive away, do not help the elderly ladies who apparently wanted to cross the street there, rather leave them to be hit on their own.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
Darrell

Quote:
I believe that regardless if the person is jay walking or not, the driver is required to yield to them. I may be wrong, but that's how it is in CA and I believe the same goes for CO and other states.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I believe that regardless if the person is jay walking or not, the driver is required to yield to them. I may be wrong, but that's how it is in CA and I believe the same goes for CO and other states.
It is and that is why the driver got a careless driving ticket.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Well duh......that's the way of the USA. Are you shocked?

We need money we print it. We run low on taxes we implement more.

You screw up, it's not your fault.

I fall down and go boom, I sue you. If I think about falling down and going boom, I sue you for mental anguish.

Not shocked. Sorry.

Am sorry that it happend though.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Pretty much CA... Most states it's ileagal to cross the street other than at the corner and with the correct light.

I ran over a jogger in 1981 when the asshole ran out in front of my pickup truck about a week after I got there for a Navy school in San Diego. Even had I known of the law, all of Newton's laws, the laws of gravity, speed, distance, dry pavement would not have helped him. There was no way to stop in time. Lucky for him he bounced off the hood and didn't dent it. I also believe in Darwinism, his gene pool needed a little thinning if he thought he was tougher than my Ford PU.

If the below article is accurate, it doesn't talk about lights, crosswalks, etc. he also is a good candidate for his gene pool to be thinned out. He was only a good Samaritan in that he took the hit rather than the ladies. If people choose to walk out in front of 3000 lb vehicles, they loose. Ya just can't fix stupid regardless as to good intentions.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

A few more articles.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_11773263
http://m.rockymountainnews.com/news/...t-his-trouble/

Apparently the elderly ladies, who were walking to their home across the street, have not been ticketed. It also appears th at other drivers, the ones who were paying attention had stopped to allow them to cross, but one guy couldn't wait and pulled through the left turn lane.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
If you judge this incident in a totally technical sense, he should have been charged with assault and possibly battery when he pushed the ladies from in front of the vehicle. If motivation is removed, his actions were clearly assault. The same could be said for Fire Trucks headed to a fire that exceed the posted speed. Technically, they are breaking the law.

As the other articles demonstrate, the driver took extraordinary means to run into this group by driving around stopped traffic.

Either way, I would believe his actions were justifiable in this circumstance.
My .
Old 02-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

The ticket is definitely not in the spirit of the law. I’d be surprised if it weren’t overturned if he appeals.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
If the below article is accurate, it doesn't talk about lights, crosswalks, etc. he also is a good candidate for his gene pool to be thinned out. He was only a good Samaritan in that he took the hit rather than the ladies. If people choose to walk out in front of 3000 lb vehicles, they loose. Ya just can't fix stupid regardless as to good intentions.
I checked google maps for the intersection that the article states this happened at. There is no light or crosswalk at Federal and 63rd, but there is at Federal and 64th. Maybe they will cross there now instead.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
If you judge this incident in a totally technical sense, he should have been charged with assault and possibly battery when he pushed the ladies from in front of the vehicle. If motivation is removed, his actions were clearly assault. The same could be said for Fire Trucks headed to a fire that exceed the posted speed. Technically, they are breaking the law.

As the other articles demonstrate, the driver took extraordinary means to run into this group by driving around stopped traffic.

Either way, I would believe his actions were justifiable in this circumstance.
My .
Is it extraordinary means to drive in the left turn lane?

"A driver of a truck was driving in the turn lane to turn from Federal onto 63rd. The report says the driver didn't see the pedestrians until it was too late. He swerved to avoid them but hit Moffett with the right front of his Dodge pickup."

The trooper puts it best.

"We don't ever want to see tragedies like this happen. That is why we can't stress enough for people to be careful and always use crosswalks," Trooper Ryan Sullivan with the Colorado State Patrol said. "We understand Mr. Moffett was doing something with great intentions, but it was still dangerous for anyone to be in the road."
Old 02-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Is it extraordinary means to drive in the left turn lane?
Driving around stopped traffic through the left turn lane is now an acceptable way to pass people? Maybe next time he will choose to use the sidewalk to pass stopped vehicles when he doesn't have time to wait.

Quote:
The trooper puts it best.

"We don't ever want to see tragedies like this happen. That is why we can't stress enough for people to be careful and always use crosswalks," Trooper Ryan Sullivan with the Colorado State Patrol said. "We understand Mr. Moffett was doing something with great intentions, but it was still dangerous for anyone to be in the road."
Still wondering why Trooper Ryan has not ticketed the two elderly ladies whom he was helping cross the street if that was the case. It seems as if they had chosen to cross there regardless of the consequences and he felt he should help them for some reason or another.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #18
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

Montecristo

Quote:
Driving around stopped traffic through the left turn lane is now an acceptable way to pass people? Maybe next time he will choose to use the sidewalk to pass stopped vehicles when he doesn't have time to wait.
The guy was turning and using the turn lane, what is hard to see about that?

"A driver of a truck was driving in the turn lane to turn from Federal onto 63rd."

Quote:
Still wondering why Trooper Ryan has not ticketed the two elderly ladies whom he was helping cross the street if that was the case. It seems as if they had chosen to cross there regardless of the consequences and he felt he should help them for some reason or another.
I am wondering the same thing. They are the ones who caused all this.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #19
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
The guy was turning and using the turn lane, what is hard to see about that?

"A driver of a truck was driving in the turn lane to turn from Federal onto 63rd."
Guess it depends on who you believe.
"But one pickup driver got impatient and passed in the left-hand turn lane"
Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #20
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Apparently the police department has dropped the ticket against the good samaritan. It sounds like he is going to be spending quite some time in the hospital though

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090228/...ritan_ticketed