Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Superstitions/folklore

Funny thing...riding home from work today and a black cat runs out across the road in front of me. My heart flutters and I do the ritual of crossing an "X" in the corner of my windshield and throwing some choice words toward the cat. You know, to protect from the evil black cat curse. That got me to thinking...I'm nearly 40 and here I am still holding on to superstitions. In a way, it's like me still believing in the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus, which I haven't since 8 years old. I remember in high school when I was going to take the SAT one Saturday morning, a black cat crossed me right down the road from my house. I stopped and turned around and took the back way to avoid the bad luck I definitely didn't need. Stupid, huh? Now in my older years, yes it was. Or was it?

Here's a few more I still stick with, probably more out of habit than belief. Also probably because they were told to me by grandparent or parents. Now I believe in karma, the whole "goes around comes around" or at least I don't like tempting it.
  • A penny head's up - I'll pick it up for good luck. If tails is up, I'll leave it there.
  • Cutting fingernails - I read as a kid that morticians cut nails of the dead in order and it can bring back luck to those that do. I started cutting them at random, which I still do out of habit.
  • I used to loath the number 13, but within the past 20 years or so, I use it as good luck and it's paid off several times.
  • I still follow the farmers almanac and try to plant my gardens by the phases of the moon. Does it help, don't know. Why tempt it?
  • Spent many a year avoiding cracks in the sidewalk, but out grew that.
  • Never have walked with someone's else crutches while I was healthy. Always heard it was bad luck and could cause you to need your own soon.
  • A cricket in your house is a sign of good luck. Rarely it happens, and last time it did, it was at work, I wouldn't let them harm it all. I gently placed it back outside.
  • Horsehoes - my dad would have an absolute fit if he saw a horseshoe lying on it's side, with all the luck running out. It had to be standing up at all times. Only when it was hung above the door could it be inverted, to pour luck upon you as you walked under it. If I see one nowadays, I'll definitely stand it up.
  • I've always heard it was bad luck to kill a ladybug and am positive I never have (on purpose).
  • Never been a big fan of breaking mirrors either.
  • I always knock on wood before I gloat about something never happening.
  • And finally, I still wish on every shooting star and wishbone. Can't hurt.

Anyone else as crazy as I am??
Old 10-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Superstitions/folklore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Funny thing...riding home from work today and a black cat runs out across the road in front of me. My heart flutters and I do the ritual of crossing an "X" in the corner of my windshield and throwing some choice words toward the cat. You know, to protect from the evil black cat curse. That got me to thinking...I'm nearly 40 and here I am still holding on to superstitions. In a way, it's like me still believing in the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus, which I haven't since 8 years old. I remember in high school when I was going to take the SAT one Saturday morning, a black cat crossed me right down the road from my house. I stopped and turned around and took the back way to avoid the bad luck I definitely didn't need. Stupid, huh? Now in my older years, yes it was. Or was it?

Here's a few more I still stick with, probably more out of habit than belief. Also probably because they were told to me by grandparent or parents. Now I believe in karma, the whole "goes around comes around" or at least I don't like tempting it.
  • A penny head's up - I'll pick it up for good luck. If tails is up, I'll leave it there.
  • Cutting fingernails - I read as a kid that morticians cut nails of the dead in order and it can bring back luck to those that do. I started cutting them at random, which I still do out of habit.
  • I used to loath the number 13, but within the past 20 years or so, I use it as good luck and it's paid off several times.
  • I still follow the farmers almanac and try to plant my gardens by the phases of the moon. Does it help, don't know. Why tempt it?
  • Spent many a year avoiding cracks in the sidewalk, but out grew that.
  • Never have walked with someone's else crutches while I was healthy. Always heard it was bad luck and could cause you to need your own soon.
  • A cricket in your house is a sign of good luck. Rarely it happens, and last time it did, it was at work, I wouldn't let them harm it all. I gently placed it back outside.
  • Horsehoes - my dad would have an absolute fit if he saw a horseshoe lying on it's side, with all the luck running out. It had to be standing up at all times. Only when it was hung above the door could it be inverted, to pour luck upon you as you walked under it. If I see one nowadays, I'll definitely stand it up.
  • I've always heard it was bad luck to kill a ladybug and am positive I never have (on purpose).
  • Never been a big fan of breaking mirrors either.
  • I always knock on wood before I gloat about something never happening.
  • And finally, I still wish on every shooting star and wishbone. Can't hurt.
Anyone else as crazy as I am??
You mean there's no Santa or Tooth Fairy??

It's just you...
Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough

I do the knock on wood thing all the time. I find my self rapping on the end table when an announcer says something positive about my team, whichever one it may be.
I have 'lucky' shirts.
Sometimes, if I change a channel while watching a game, and flip back something bad will happen. So, I make sure I flip the channels back and forth an even number of times. (This one I even don't understand)
Not a big fan of black cats crossing my path.
I won't let my wife wash my kid's jersey after a win.
If someone leaves the room, and my team does something well, they are not allowed to come back in until something bad happens. And vice versa. Luckily I am a Vikings fan so this rule rarely gets enforced.
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Ace$nyper

I live with a black cat, that might explain a lot in life.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post

[*]Cutting fingernails - I read as a kid that morticians cut nails of the dead in order and it can bring back luck to those that do. I started cutting them at random, which I still do out of habit.
You started cutting the fingernails of random dead people? You still do this out of habit? Who are you, Dexter? Where do you find these random dead people?

You have some serious issues.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
ahc4353

My wife is Cuban and the two that I know she has a fit over are:

No hats on the table or shoes on the bed. Or is it shoes on the table and hats on the bed?

Doesn't matter I'm so gun shy all I know if I do any of these combinations she has an absolute sh*t fit so I'm scared to death to do anything with my hat or shoes at all!!

Carlos can you help clarify?
Old 10-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
theycallmedan'lboone

I can never show up to a soccer game with socks and cleats on. I must have other shoes on or be barefoot.

I always finish my warm-ups with a left footed shot on goal

If you borrow my knife, hand it back to me the same way I handed it to you open closed etc.

never take my shoes off without untying them.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #8
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Ship isn't suppose to sail on Friday the 13th.

Don't whistle on my ship....will bring an ill wind.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:18 AM   #9
dannyboy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (31)
Trinidad
dannyboy will become famous soon enough

Anytime I see a clock with 11:11, I make a wish
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

This one came from out of the blue today. My wife was cleaning the closet and put two hats on. Is she crazy?? Talk about bad luck?? Everyone knows only one hat on at once.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (1)
Partagas
DocLogic77 is on a distinguished road

The only one I really have is I hate the #6 and avoid anything #6 related.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #12
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

1. Whenever I break a mirror, I go to Tibet for 3 years.
2. If a calico cat crosses my path, I buy Hasbro stock.
3. If someone spells out the word "longevity" in Scrabble, I set the board on fire.
4. I don't go outside when the ice cream truck is playing "You Spin Me Around (Like a Record)"
5. If someone quotes Grover Cleveland, I throw a Teddy Ruxpin doll over my shoulder.

MCS
Old 06-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

The ship of democracy, which has weathered all storms, may sink through the mutiny of those on board.
Grover Cleveland

Old 06-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #14
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaacH View Post
The ship of democracy, which has weathered all storms, may sink through the mutiny of those on board.
Grover Cleveland

There goes Teddy!

MCS
Old 06-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #15
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
3. If someone spells out the word "longevity" in Scrabble, I set the board on fire.
4. I don't go outside when the ice cream truck is playing "You Spin Me Around (Like a Record)"
5. If someone quotes Grover Cleveland, I throw a Teddy Ruxpin doll over my shoulder.

MCS
Man, Teddy Ruxpin, now that's some old-school 80's toy action for you. That guy always creeped me out. Him and those cymbal monkeys. For some reason I'm afraid they're going to go all demonic possession on me. Maybe it's all the bad horror films I watched as a kid...
akumushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:39 PM   #16
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post

MCS
WOW, you too! And here I thought I was the only one