Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #61
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Trading: (19)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: True Blood

vampires ... shape shifters ... minotaurs .... oh my

Just with that statement you'd think that the show had gone the way of the loony. But if you watch the shows this season everything makes sense. hhhmmmm
Old 07-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #62
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Finally caught up with this season so far. Looks like Mary-Anne is shaping into a very interesting character. So, as I understand, she's using the sexual energy discharged from the dancing to change into that minotaur-thingy? WTF? And Jessica is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. Making the limo driver shout that in the hotel lobby was hilarious.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #63
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Been a good season so far, and less of the irritating "should I/shouldn't I" romance than last year too.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #64
kzm007

In response to your earlier reply, icehog3, better quality cameras seem plausible; I think I was just noticing her smile lines for once. Drove me nuts, they looked like fangs hidden...may have been for all I know, but who knows for sure?

And Pete I'm with you. I actually like Jessica and Hoyt more than Bill and Sookie.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #65
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

Montecristo

Bit of a filler episode last night. Not much happening, just confirmations of suspicions from last week. Daphne is a shifter. The Dallas Sheriff was Eric's maker. MaryAnne has some weird powers (werewolf?). Jessica is a teenage girl. All stuff I had already figured out, just got confirmations on it.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #66
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Definitely a filler, Pete.....too much Vampmance, not enough killin'.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #67
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

My GF and I are hooked on this show, and since neither of us have HBO we watch online at some live stream sites. Pretty cool actually.

Fang
Old 07-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #68
bookman

I've seen the first 4 eps. Pretty good. I loves me some Anna Paquin!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #69
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Trading: (19)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
.....too much Vampmance, not enough killin'.
Totally agree with that. Even on the Entertainment Magazine Article, they are humping each other in the picture. Goodness.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #70
grawk

Apparently the books are worse about it than the show is. Vampire teen smut novels
Old 07-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #71
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

Montecristo

Vampires = Sex. Not new. Always been that way. One of the reasons why I like vamp stories/movies/shows

Also one of the main reasons, hack writing aside, why the twilight drek never worked for me. Sorry, but abstinent vampires are boring as hell. Add in an obsessive teenaged girl and I want to start staking people immediately.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #72
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Twilight's basic plot was stolen from this series. Trueblood the show and "The Sookie Stackhouse" series in books.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #73
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Twilight's basic plot was stolen from this series. Trueblood the show and "The Sookie Stackhouse" series in books.
TBH, the basic premise behind this series as well as twilight, and countless other vampire stores is very, very old. Bram Stoker is probably the best known, with the male vampire/female human story.

More recently, the vampire likes to hold off on actually killing the human, makes for a longer possible story with more dramatic tension. Joss Whedon did it well with Buffy/Angel(97-00), as did Tanya Huff with the Blood Books(first one in 91). The Southern Vampire books were published starting in 2001, so both of these, as well as countless others, I am sure, were already out. Twilight - the first book - was published in 2006.

Basically, what I am getting at is that the story is not a new one. Some people are just much better at telling it than others. Stephanie Meyer is a complete hack.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #74
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
Stephanie Meyer is a complete hack.
That was my point
Old 07-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #75
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
That was my point
Old 08-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #76
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Tonight's episode was probably the best yet, and next week's looks even better...I am totally hooked on this show, so I am sure HBO will cancel it at the end of this season.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #77
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

Montecristo

Quote:
Tonight's episode was probably the best yet, and next week's looks even better...I am totally hooked on this show, so I am sure HBO will cancel it at the end of this season.
Nah, Alan Ball has a good track record with them. Six Feet Under ran for 5 seasons. There are quite a few people here at work watching it, so there is definitely buzz. And the Neilsen numbers are not nearly as important as with network TV.

But yeah, last night's show was awesome. Sarah and I had just been discussing in the beginning of the ep about what MaryAnne was.

[SPOILER] I suggested she was part of the origin myth of Dionysus, when what do you know, later in the ep, it comes out that she was one of the handmaidens.[/SPOILER]
Old 08-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #78
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'm hooked. I've watched the first 5 episodes from season 1. At times, the writing gets a bit hokey but other than that I like it. The theme and opening credits are very hypnotic.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #79
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I'm hooked. I've watched the first 5 episodes from season 1. At times, the writing gets a bit hokey but other than that I like it. The theme and opening credits are very hypnotic.
You will probably like Season 2 even better, Peter, as some of the "should I or shouldn't I date a vampire" hokiness is done.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #80
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

Montecristo

Last night's episode was AWESOME! I really feel like the whole Tara and Eggs thing is just killing time. Sam is, again, an idiot.

Some really great lines. Loved the delivery from Jason. I've been to heaven...

Eric keeps becoming a more likable character. Far more so than Bill, IMO.

And I was really upset for poor Jessica. Wonder how Hoyt is going to handle that.