Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
RRocket
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (10)
RRocket is on a distinguished road
Default Ashton VSG Enchantment

My mom sent me this cigar (thanks mom!), so I decided to light it up after an amazing dinner with my lovely at Mezzo, a local Italian restaurant (http://www.mezzo.ca/) For the record, she smoked a Oliva Series G Special G.

The cigar itself is beautiful to behold. 4.38" X 60. It's oddly shaped (Perfecto? Figurado?), but has tremendous charm and plenty of character because of this. The construction was flawless, and the wrapper beautiful with a slightly oily sheen. I prefer a large gauge cigar, and the 60 gauge at the fattest part feels great between the fingers.

I clipped it with my Xikar cutter, and sampled the draw, which was very nice. Not too easy, nor too firm. The pre-light tastes was typical dark cigar tobacco, though a very slight sweetness to it.

Since the tip is so small, there wasn't much to toast or light for that matter. It lit up easy. Within a minute, the cigar starts delivering cocoa and slightly burnt/dark coffee taste, with an earthy, leather taste thrown into the mix. It's very pleasing, especially after my large meal. Smoke is thick right off the bat (see 2nd pic) and remains thick throughout.

This smoke is SMOOTH and medium body, and has such a great mouthfeel I almost want to "chew" the smoke. The cocoa/chocolate theme continues, but after the first third it gets slightly more peppery. Not enough to overpower the sublime cocoa taste, but enough to let you know it's there. It's not the most complex cigar, but the flavors and their transitions are great.

Midway through, I detect a taste I'm having a hard time putting my finger on. It's only slight, but it's there. This is not a bad thing, as it gets me to really concentrate on my palate. I think I'm tasting raisins, and at other moments I think it may be a slight touch of anise. Either way it's a pleasing (though very understated) addition to this delicious stick.

The final third continues the same flavor profile, but with a bit more intensity...not much. Just a really enjoyable cigar, one I wished would continue long into the night. Sadly, it lasted only a bit over an hour.

I would most definitely smoke another, and recommend you give this stick a try. I think this is one of my favorite cigars I've smoked in some time......

RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
bigdix
Cigarmurai

First Name: Dan
Trading: (1)
Trinidad AirForce (Active)
bigdix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ashton VSG Enchantment

Nice Review! The VSG is one of my favorite NC smokes for sure, though I usually reach for an Illusion or a Tres Mystique....the blend is always quite nice, though.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:00 AM   #3
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Great Review!!
VSG is one of my favorites and this size is as well.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Great review!! VSG is my favorite!
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road

Yep. Mom can certainly pick 'em. Nicely done.
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
alwayslit
Welcome to the madness

First Name: Jim
Trading: (14)
RA
alwayslit is on a distinguished road

Nice review. VSG's are a beautiful smoke.
alwayslit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
RustyShackleford
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chris
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
RustyShackleford is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review.

I have liked the VSGs I have smoked so far but I have never had that one, I guess Ill have to give that one a try.
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
STEVE S
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (1)
STEVE S is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review, nice to include a few pictures too.
STEVE S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Nice review of a very nice stick!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I've never had an Enchantment, but have been enchanted by every VSG I've been fortunate enough to smoke. I just wish I could afford to buy them!
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great review...I better it tasted even better knowing that mom grabbed it for ya.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for a great review. I think these are my favorite VSG as well. Your review made me go look up and see if I still had any in my humi and thankfully I do. Your mom has some good taste.
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
RRocket
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (10)
RRocket is on a distinguished road

The funny part (or fortunate part?) is I asked her to send me a couple of NUBS. When she heard "nub", she thought small, stubby cigar not realizing that NUB was a brand.

So that's how I ended up with the Enchantment and few little Oliva Special Gs....

Go Mom!!!
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
rogerdodger

Your Mom Rocks,

My mom tells me i'll look like Roger Ebert if i keep smoking
Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

nicely done mom.

i had one of these the other day. good stick but i like the illusion size better.