Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 04-28-2023, 03:14 PM   #3121
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I've had a couple pours of this the last week. It was a Christmas gift from Steph. I'm an all-around fan of whiskies so appreciate what they're trying to do, but I think some of the Bourbon sweetness gets lost. I don't know that a Bourbon purist would enjoy it too much.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:12 PM   #3122
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Cracked open the Weller when I got home. Oh man is that good.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:12 AM   #3123
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I'm not a big fan of finished whiskey, James, so I've never bought any of the Starlight stuff. It's a huge market though, and all kinds of crazy finishes.

I really like the Weller 107 too, but won't pay the prices they ask around here Bob. I'd really like to get another Weller Full Proof (non store pick), but again secondary is crazy.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:13 AM   #3124
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Last night's pours:

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-30-2023, 06:32 PM   #3125
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Making some Old Fashioneds with the JD BiB, and maple syrup aged in Pappy barrels.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:19 AM   #3126
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Making some Old Fashioneds with the JD BiB, and maple syrup aged in Pappy barrels.
Our big local chain put the JD BiB on sale for $29 all summer long Bob. It has to be one of the best sub $30 bottles out there.

I opened the newest Booker's (Charlie's Batch, 23-01) last night. First pour was just outstanding, has a lot of similarities to a couple of my favorite batches.

Also opened a local groups' KC 9 year single barrel. They're always solid, this one isn't very unique but it is tasty.

Old 05-01-2023, 07:59 AM   #3127
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

$29?!?! That’s a great deal.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:26 AM   #3128
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Did a little more hunting this afternoon. Went to a new to me store and got a bottle of MM cask strength. They didn’t have the special releases. Went back to the store I got my Blantons from last week and snagged a Weller 107. (Drinking some right now. Really enjoying it). Went to a third store, this one with a large selection. They had just gotten a big shipment of allocated stuff in. Baby Blantons and Eagle Rare, Weller 107 and SR, plus a lot more. Crazy prices though. $130 for the Weller. Umm, no. Left there after trying a couple of their store picks. The MM SRT, not good. Their Old Forester was super tasty, but at $130 a bottle wasn’t gonna happen.
Nice snag on the 107! I'd take that over anything else
Old 05-01-2023, 02:21 PM   #3129
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Promise to bring some good stuff to Shack including some Hazmat for Tom.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:10 AM   #3130
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Promise to bring some good stuff to Shack including some Hazmat for Tom.
You've always got some great bottles, Hugh, appreciate the opportunity to try some crazy stuff.... and Hazmat is right up my alley. Just killed this one over the weekend and I miss her already.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:46 AM   #3131
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Well, I said I was doing buying for now, but that didn’t last long. The owner at a local store hooked me up with a bottle of 1792 single barrel. Asked about Full Proof. Said he’s got a barrel coming, just doesn’t know when.
Old 05-02-2023, 03:39 PM   #3132
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
You've always got some great bottles, Hugh, appreciate the opportunity to try some crazy stuff.... and Hazmat is right up my alley. Just killed this one over the weekend and I miss her already.
At 145 proof, how "light" can that be?

Quote:
Well, I said I was doing buying for now, but that didn’t last long. The owner at a local store hooked me up with a bottle of 1792 single barrel. Asked about Full Proof. Said he’s got a barrel coming, just doesn’t know when.
The whiskey club in KC here has had a barrel of 1792 coming since last year and we cannot get anything better than "soon" as to when it will happen. They have been saying it was/is a bottling backup or at least that was the story around the first of the year.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:58 PM   #3133
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Well, I decided to go hunting this evening. Tried some stores well out of my area. Got a Four Roses Single Barrel and a Coppercraft Straight Bourbon. Tried the Coppercraft. Wow! Like a peanut explosion when it hits the palate. I really like it.

Surprising how the most podunk looking store will actually have some nice stuff. Found Weller SR, but at $45 I’ll pass. Same with the Eagle Rare I found for $82.

My last stop had Elijah Craig 18 for $250.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0497.jpg (19.3 KB, 84 views)
Old 05-03-2023, 04:47 AM   #3134
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
The whiskey club in KC here has had a barrel of 1792 coming since last year and we cannot get anything better than "soon" as to when it will happen. They have been saying it was/is a bottling backup or at least that was the story around the first of the year.
Seems like everything takes about a year now. I picked some turkey barrels last June, got them in a couple weeks ago, looked at the bottle and it says they were bottled in July so they were literally sitting there doing nothing for 10 months
Old 05-03-2023, 08:40 AM   #3135
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jledou View Post
At 145 proof, how "light" can that be?

“Light whiskey” may have you picture a spirit on the lower-proof end of the boozy spectrum. However, the exact opposite is true. These are cask-strength spirits with high ABV. The “light” in the term does not refer to the proof. Rather, it references the flavor.

I've had some great and some good 1792 Full Proof single barrel picks. I'm not big on their lower proof offerings but never had a single barrel. Curious to hear what you think Bob.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:00 AM   #3136
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

“Light whiskey” may have you picture a spirit on the lower-proof end of the boozy spectrum. However, the exact opposite is true. These are cask-strength spirits with high ABV. The “light” in the term does not refer to the proof. Rather, it references the flavor.

I've had some great and some good 1792 Full Proof single barrel picks. I'm not big on their lower proof offerings but never had a single barrel. Curious to hear what you think Bob.
Well, I’m still new to this whole bourbon thing, so my palate is still developing. I had the first pour last night. I got a lot of cherry notes. Not overly oakey. It was late last night and I rushed thru it. Had two cats looking at me, ready for bed. I’ll try to get a better impression soon. But I really liked it. Was completely different from the earlier Coppercraft pour I had.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:38 AM   #3137
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

The 1792 sounds good, Bob, hopefully it will be even better now that it's open.

I tried my first Coppercraft pour at a tasting on Saturday. It was their Cask Strength, and I was not a fan. I had about 8-9 different pours, and the CC was by far the worst....I'm glad your experience with the straight bourbon was much better Bob.

I traded one of the MM BEP I picked up last week for another 2021 FAE-02, my favorite of the series. Though BEP is a strong second, might have to grab another if I find it at retail.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:02 AM   #3138
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I read a few reviews on the CC yesterday. Seems people either like it or hate it, not much in between. Sorry to hear you were in the hate it category Tom.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:17 AM   #3139
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
I read a few reviews on the CC yesterday. Seems people either like it or hate it, not much in between. Sorry to hear you were in the hate it category Tom.
Maybe it was just that expression, Bob, but I don't think I'll seek out any Coppercraft, just try it if it becomes available at another tasting or something. No worries, there's so many I DO like!

Went back to the 2023 MM again, it is really tasty.

Old 05-06-2023, 01:55 PM   #3140
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Picked up a bottle of Larceny Small Batch. Really like it. Sweet, cinnamon, easy drinking.