Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough
Default Ever sell back vacation time?

I'm trying to decide whether to sell back a chunk of my PTO. Somewhere between 80 and 150 hours. I have 230 now so selling 150 would leave me with 80 which is the minimum they say I have to have left after the sell back. The company is offering 90% value. I have no commitments now that will require much vacation time and obviously I don't usually take much time off. I've accrued about as much as I can and will either have to start taking time off or do the sell back because soon I'll hit the limit and won't accrue any more.

I'll probably sell it back - just getting cold feet at the last minute I guess and wondering if maybe I should be using this time. Maybe the time off is worth more than the money. Anybody ever do this? Did you wish later you hadn't?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ever sell back vacation time?

Not sure what line of work you are in, but I would not sell it back at 90%...I love my time off and since when you take time off you are getting 100% pay (I assume) TAKE THE TIME OFF!!!!! No headstone ever read "I wish I would have spent more time at work"
Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I have sold back 100 hours last year, because for the last couple years I haven't been taking a lot of time off. I get up to 100 at 100%.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

By the same token, if you're not going to use it all and it's going to affect you accruing more hours, then 90% beats 0%.

You know there's plenty of major league herfs you could "waste" those hours on.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

We are allowed 56 each year. I have done it, but it 100%
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I never sell my time.
Some guys at my job do.
I've gone to my boss to see if I can buy the time they're trying to sell back.
He never goes for it.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
By the same token, if you're not going to use it all and it's going to affect you accruing more hours, then 90% beats 0%.

You know there's plenty of major league herfs you could "waste" those hours on.
That's true, we hit "use or lose" can't buy them back so just use them up and get paid....fishing time
Old 05-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
That's true, we hit "use or lose" can't buy them back so just use them up and get paid....fishing time
Being in the supervisory field, we've been "use or lose" forever.
Haven't lost a second yet in 25 years.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Being in the supervisory field, we've been "use or lose" forever.
Haven't lost a second yet in 25 years.
Yup, never give them back a cent
Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I have traded mine in at the end of the year, supervisors used to loose it but now you just get a check back. I typically use all mine. I like to take random Fridays off and it adds up by the end of the year so don't ever have any left.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

I am in the "use it" camp, assuming that you don't "NEED" the cash....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
We are allowed 56 each year. I have done it, but it 100%
Does that include sick and/or holidays..... If just "vacation" that is a sweet benefit package...
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

I can carry 220 hrs. vacation a year, anything over that is use or lose, can carry 12 holidays again use or lose over that, 80 hrs sick , any over that rolls into a 509c account that I can have for medical expenses when I retire
Old 05-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I can't imagine a job where an employee wouldn't HAVE TO TAKE every minute of every hour of paid time off
JUST to keep them from putting a gun in their mouth. I swear, I dug in my heels last year to get a third week
of vacation here, but I told them I wanted the time or I was going to have to have 365 days a year off.

You work like a dog your whole life and congressmen and women who will never have to worry about anything
later in life, steal from your social security, they jump up the retirement age, they try to take away your rights
to have an insurance company pay out when you get sick after a lifetime of paying in. It's ****ographic.

I'll TAKE my vaca, thanks.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #14
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I can't imagine a job where an employee wouldn't HAVE TO TAKE every minute of every hour of paid time off
JUST to keep them from putting a gun in their mouth. I swear, I dug in my heels last year to get a third week
of vacation here, but I told them I wanted the time or I was going to have to have 365 days a year off.
THIS!!! Getting paid not to be at work.......
Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

We don't have a PTO pay-out, but every year I get to make my United Way charitable donations by converting PTO hours to cash. I figure I won't miss the vacation time, so I usually convert 3-5 days or so.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

It sounds illegal for them to pay you back your PTO at less than 100%. Those hours are compensation. I really don't think that is legal in MA, but YMMV in your state.

I would contact your attorney general before saying yes or no.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

I sold back a week once. I just thought it was a good idea at the time I was building the new house, I thought the extra money would be good and I couldn't really get the time off I wanted as other people had the time scheduled up already. After taxes stole most of the money and the feeling of lost week off it was one of the stupidest things I have done.
Take the time off and enjoy it.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #18
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Take your vacation. Life is too short. The money doesn't mean dick if you're dead next week.
Spend time with family and friends. Go fishing. Work on the house. Clean your car. Come stay with me for a week and we'll build something. Go read or learn something you've always wanted to learn.
Honestly, work will always be there. The people you love won't.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I always use my vacation. Sometimes I borrow time (from the next year) just to get enough vacation. I always want more vacation.

I love my job -- I do, but I love my vacation time more.

Take the time off and go somewhere or do some projects around your home, go see movies, take day trips, or just fart around.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #20
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

We have (had) the same thing. PTO pay out at 90%. I used it once, it helped pay for some bills. With that said, if you don't have to, don't do it. Spend time away from work.