Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 04-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #1161
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

I had to charge the Rye, won't really have the money for them til next week. But I was afraid if I passed up on them, I would not find them again! Neither of these are (and probably will never be) available in Bama, so I pretty much have to grab these special items any time I find them! It will probably be a month before I finish the two bourbons I have open, so it will be a while til I try these to give a review! That doesn't mean I wont' buy seconds if I find them and have the money! Not many Woodfords I've tried that I didn't love!!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #1162
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

That is very true, you make an excellent point. Perhaps if I see the Ryes again they will get Purchased.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #1163
fricky

Is anyone going to the Bourbon Sampler at the end of this month in Bardstown, Kentucky? All of the major distilleries are represented. It is a great opportunity to taste samples of currently available bourbon and meet some of the Master Distillers. It is also a great opportunity to meet other bourbon enthusiasts.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #1164
fricky

This year, the private group of which I am a member will be visiting Buffalo Trace Distillery, Four Roses Distillery, Heaven Hill Distillery, and Kentucky Bourbon Distillers to taste and select our own barrels of bourbon. Last year we selected 4 barrels. The selection process is quite interesting and fun.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #1165
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

Sounds awesome. Have a fun and safe trip.
never_enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #1166
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

I will be visiting a distillery in Nantucket this summer that makes a bourbon. Called Nor'Easter Bourbon. Being from KY, I think bourbon made outside of KY is blasphemy

Going to see whats its like though.

Edit: Some quick research says its might be distilled at heaven hill and aged two years in KY, then aged two more years on Nantucket. Hmmm
Old 04-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #1167
Yojimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
Edit: Some quick research says its might be distilled at heaven hill and aged two years in KY, then aged two more years on Nantucket. Hmmm
I used to live at the end of Barton Rd, the street leading into Haven Hill. I loved waking up to that smell.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #1168
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann

I use to live in KY too. Not going to lie, I miss it.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #1169
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

I finished the bottle of bourbon I've been working down. I decided tonight to open the Woodford Reserve Double Oak I picked up last week.

People, this is NOT your everyday Woodford!!!! I'm drinking it straight-up, which is my normal method of sippin bourbon. Initial taste on my lips and front of tonge was much sweeter than I would have guessed. Then, as the whiskey flows back, it developed a sting and bite on the back of my mouth like it is 100+ proof (90 proof). The double oak finish on this bourbon manifest itself with an expected smoky taste that is much closer to the smoky peat taste of good scotch! This bourbon goes through half a dozen changes on each sip. While I don't usually use ice or water, I'd think this bourbon would be even more complex if a single cube of ice was added. I'd buy this one again, if I run across it.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #1170
never_enough
Never Satisfied

HUpmann

Thanks for the review. Will look for it when I am back in KY in May.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #1171
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road

I ran across this in a Vermont liquor store and am a big fan.

It is sweet, but not overly so. Over ice it has a VERY smooth, very drinkable quality that just seems to beg for one more sip.
Their web site is http://www.cabinfeverspirits.com/

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #1172
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Just picked up a 1.75L of Eagle Rare 10 year old for $37.99.
I feel like I stole it.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #1173
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Just picked up a 1.75L of Eagle Rare 10 year old for $37.99.
I feel like I stole it.
Not bad at all, Peter! That is the last bourbon I purchased, but in the 750ml bottle. Think I paid around $30. Wish I had a your cheap prices down here!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #1174
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Not bad at all, Peter! That is the last bourbon I purchased, but in the 750ml bottle. Think I paid around $30. Wish I had a your cheap prices down here!!!
At Xmas, I bought a 750ml for $27. When I saw the 1.75 for $39.99, it was a no brainer. (I had a 5% off coupon which lowered the price to $37.99)
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #1175
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I finished the bottle of bourbon I've been working down. I decided tonight to open the Woodford Reserve Double Oak I picked up last week.

People, this is NOT your everyday Woodford!!!! I'm drinking it straight-up, which is my normal method of sippin bourbon. Initial taste on my lips and front of tonge was much sweeter than I would have guessed. Then, as the whiskey flows back, it developed a sting and bite on the back of my mouth like it is 100+ proof (90 proof). The double oak finish on this bourbon manifest itself with an expected smoky taste that is much closer to the smoky peat taste of good scotch! This bourbon goes through half a dozen changes on each sip. While I don't usually use ice or water, I'd think this bourbon would be even more complex if a single cube of ice was added. I'd buy this one again, if I run across it.
I had a tiny sample of this last week. You are spot on. I usually drink my bourbon neat, but this would benefit from a little water to open it up and mellow it out some. Gonna have to look for this soon.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #1176
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Nice review....big fan of WR....never saw the double oak, but i'll be on the "prowl" for it!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #1177
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAsh View Post
Nice review....big fan of WR....never saw the double oak, but i'll be on the "prowl" for it!
Headed to cabinet to get a glass of the Double Oaked now!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #1178
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by never_enough View Post
I use to live in KY too. Not going to lie, I miss it.
Im from KY, living in OH for school. I used to spend WAY too much time in the Liquor Barn just ogling all the different bottles!
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #1179
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Poured myself 2 fingers of Corner Creek Bourbon tonight and floated a nice size ice cube in it. I think that added a bit more sweetness and smoothness to this brand. Drinking it neet, the bourbon has more depth and density. Really enjoying this bourbon. Thanks again to Peter (Pnoon) for turning me on to this brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsauce13 View Post
Im from KY, living in OH for school. I used to spend WAY too much time in the Liquor Barn just ogling all the different bottles!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #1180
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Poured myself 2 fingers of Corner Creek Bourbon tonight and floated a nice size ice cube in it. I think that added a bit more sweetness and smoothness to this brand. Drinking it neet, the bourbon has more depth and density. Really enjoying this bourbon. Thanks again to Peter (Pnoon) for turning me on to this brand
My pleasure, Mark. Corner Creek is a sleeper for sure.